neutral safty switch

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
HELPPPPPP evreytime I try to start my 1974 dart swinger I have to either play with the wires under the collumn or put the car into Neutral to start it where is my switch located and where can I get a new one? thanks guys

The neutral safety switch itself is a 3 post switch screwed into the drivers side of the trans kinda like a sender. It may be the problem but...
A 74 model has or had a seatbelt interlock that would interupt signal. The start relay on the left inner fender has a yellow wire the gets 12 volts from the ignition switch and a brown wire that gets a ground through the neutral safety switch. One wire or the other is interupted by seatbelt interlock. Thats all I know about it. Hope it helps

Like RedFish said, the NSS is part of the transmission itself, so I'm wondering why playing with the wires under the column would work? Could be something loose in the wiring from the ignition, and shifting out of park moves the harness?

The seatbelt system interupts the +wire from the igntion.

To check the NSS, leave the car in park, unplug the brown & yellow wire from the starter relay. Replace it with a jumper wire to a good ground connection. If it still doesn't start, then it's not the NSS.

-
Back