Never Raced Before, But Am Interested In Doing Some Curvy Stuff

-

archlab

Reaction score
Anyone here do any racing that involves curves, rallying, or (please forgive me) 'driftiing' in your Mopars?. I'm really interested in suspensions, so I'm not as interested in Drag Racing, although I love to watch people who know how to do it.

I'd like to take some first, novice steps. Any advice?

There are some people that have done autocross and road racing here, but so far, I haven't seen anyone that has done drifting.

There are a few guys that have upgraded the front suspension to alter-k-tion.

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/alterktiontech.shtml

Guys like autoxcuda and abodyjoe know a lot about setting up your car for turning corners. They post in a lot of threads, especially in the suspension section.

There is a really cool video of a hotchkiss prepped valiant online here.Might check it out.

autoxcuda would be the guy that you really want to talk to on this one. He's actually out there racing!

As far as setting up your car goes, there are some simple steps to take that will really help things out.

In the front:

1" torsion bars or larger
Reinforced LCA's
Offset bushing for the UCA's (to get the alignment right)
All new bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.
Front sway bar (preferably aftermarket, ie, larger than stock)
Good shocks!

In the back:

120-140 lb/in springs, roughly zero arch
All new bushings
Good shocks
Rear sway bar

For the car:

Lower is better
Subframe connectors
Rebuilt or upgraded steering box (Firm Feel, faster ratio's, etc)
Brakes- if you've got 9" drums all around, that won't cut it. 10" drums and the standard 10.8" disks are fine to start. Bigger puts you in a different class most times anyway
Wheels - 15-17" rims, modern compound tires (NOT T/A's)
Alignment- 0 to -.5 camber (or more for racing), +3 to +4 caster, 1/16" to 1/8" toe in

The alterkation front end is not what I would use for racing, or road handling. The torsion bar set up is a great design and has won plenty of races. Also, changing the suspension like that will immediately put you in a completely different class in most racing organizations. Not usually somewhere you want to be.

The Hotchkis TVS kit really sets the bar I think for road handling. Some of their stuff is overkill, and its expensive (but very high quality). For getting your feet wet you don't have to get tubular UCAs right off the bat (they can also put you in a more competitive class). You can get torsion bars and frame connectors elsewhere for less money that perform just as well, same for the adjustable strut rods and steering links. But the Hotchkis kit really covers everything, and their components are top notch.

There's a ton more to it, and I haven't covered everything. But there's already quite a few threads on here that cover how to set up an A-body for autocross or road racing, doing a search would give you plenty of reading material.

Hey, thanks everyone. Lotsa good info to digest.

Anyone here do any racing that involves curves, rallying, or (please forgive me) 'driftiing' in your Mopars?. I'm really interested in suspensions, so I'm not as interested in Drag Racing, although I love to watch people who know how to do it.

Take a performance driving class.

I've thought about doing that. Sounds like that should probably be the first step.

I think 'Drifting' was probably the wrong term. AutoCross, sounds more like my style. Anyway, seems like Drifitng might have a tendency to tear up a lot of good parts, unnecessarily. But hey, whadda I know?

if your not worried about being in a specific sanctioned class, the AlterK would be a great setup to use...I know, because I have one.....there isnt one bad thing about the alterk....try to find a negative review, or a broken part of one...you wont find anything bad about it...

on another note, im also building a stock style mopar suspension on my 68 barracuda, and using all quality parts and aftermarket upgrades with big brakes, u would be right up there in the price of the RMS unit.....

-
Back