New 10 inch drums on a 8 1/4 rear end?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new rear end and found one that seems to he the one but it has no breaks. I was told that the best thing to do would be put the 10 inch b-body drums on it. Is this my only option or is there a cheaper way to go about it?

Lots of options out there, but you'll want a set of 10x2.5" drums for it. They don't have to be B body though, 10x2.5" rear brakes came on pretty much every mopar out there up until the 90's. I suggest looking for FMJ body stuff, you can find them on Diplomat's, New Yorker's, 5th Ave's etc up to like 1989. So they're pretty easy to source from the wrecking yard. Just remember to take 5/16" socket or wrench for the retaining pin in the 8 1/4 rears so you can drop the c-clips and pull the axles.

Shameless plug- I have couple of 10x2.5" brake set ups, they'll fit in a flat rate box. Pm me if you want a set, I'd be happy to let them go for cheap.

F body rears you just have to unbolt the flange and pull the axles, no C clips. IIRC the C clip ended around 1976.
Sold a bunch of F body rear brakes and they will fit just about any MOPAR EXCEPT an A body 8-3/4 rear with redrilled stock axles.

Sold a bunch of F body rear brakes and they will fit just about any MOPAR EXCEPT an A body 8-3/4 rear with redrilled stock axles.

Correct. The only brakes that will fit re-drilled, stock A body axles are the original 10x1.75" brakes. For which you'll have to get the drums re-drilled to BBP, a process you'll have to repeat every time you need new drums.

The axle length and offset are different for the SBP A body axles.

I assumed the 8 1/4 was BBP already and didn't need to be re-drilled.

Sorry to get off topic but will an F body 8 1/4 bolt in to A body? Is it better to have no c clips or have them?
Thanks (Sorry for bein off topic)

Sorry to get off topic but will an F body 8 1/4 bolt in to A body? Is it better to have no c clips or have them?
Thanks (Sorry for bein off topic)

It will fit, it won't bolt in. F body rear is about 1" wider overall than the A body rear, the spring perches are also wider and will have to be moved. The overall width shouldn't be an issue, it'll end up being less than a 1/2" per side.

I'd personally prefer to have a one with C-clips, keeps the axle from walking out. I haven't encountered one without them though, I usually only pull the 11x2.5" brakes at the yards and I guess they've all been earlier than '76.

-
Back