New 3" exhaust with 2.5" Tailpipes

-
Huh? It says right on their website that there are three different mufflers to choose from and even has a drop down menu to pick which one you want.
Sorry, this is why you guys shouldn't listen to me for operational details. :( I remember us having a meeting about it being logical to only release the highest flowing muffler for these kits since they are going on high hp motors. Apparently, that internal discussion didn't make it to the procurement staff and we did in fact run some of each of the mufflers for this kit.

So if anyone is interested in a louder more aggressive muffler sound from this kit, now is the time to order up either the Street Pro or the Violator because we're likely not going to continue making them for this special application.

I call mine the street sweeper exhaust, 3" X pipe into 3' Hooker max flow out to 2 1/2" tail pipe. :D
Sounds real good

I’m going to try and use a 3.5” collector and 3.5” 2 chamber milflers and 3” pipe and tailpipe over the axle, remove the fuel tank, and put a cell in the trunk.
Car had a 3” system before and was really a nice setup.

I call mine the street sweeper exhaust, 3" X pipe into 3' Hooker max flow out to 2 1/2" tail pipe. :D
Sounds real good

Do you have a video? I want more bite out of my exhaust... I think... honestly I dont even know what my car sounds like besides from inside it or from standing behind it.

Do you have a video? I want more bite out of my exhaust... I think... honestly I dont even know what my car sounds like besides from inside it or from standing behind it.

no video, it sounds good cruising around and idling , but when I get on it the note gets a little aggressive. lol
The Hooker max flow is just that, MAX FLOW !
I used the Hooker aero chamber years back, they are a little tamer than the max flow.
I don't haul kids around anymore, you would be better off with something mellower.

This car has always sounded good with this engine I put together. Voodoo cam, and decent exhaust Hooker 2” headers with 3.5” collector choked into 2.5” with a H pipe and through 2.5” hi flo tips.

no video, it sounds good cruising around and idling , but when I get on it the note gets a little aggressive. lol
The Hooker max flow is just that, MAX FLOW !
I used the Hooker aero chamber years back, they are a little tamer than the max flow.
I don't haul kids around anymore, you would be better off with something mellower.

This isnt the kid hauler, the daily drivers both are like married men. Their balls are in their wives purses.

The purple car is a weekend and a slurpee gettin car. We like it loud, and it's ok if it is louder.

This car has always sounded good with this engine I put together. Voodoo cam, and decent exhaust Hooker 2” headers with 3.5” collector choked into 2.5” with a H pipe and through 2.5” hi flo tips.

That sounds good :thumbsup:, sounds a lot like my car in my opinion, except I dont have a cam in mine yet

Sound Video of a Pypes 2.5" system with Violator mufflers. This is our loudest muffler. 3" kit will have a slightly deeper tone.

Here's a Dart with 2.5" system. Same as above..... the 3" tone will be a little deeper.

Same car from the inside

Sound Video of a Pypes 2.5" system with Violator mufflers. This is our loudest muffler. 3" kit will have a slightly deeper tone.

Could I add the mufflers to the 2.5in exhaust I already have?

My Hi-Tech exhaust system consists of five feet of 3 inch straight pipe followed by Flowmaster 40s , 3-inch long tailpipes with turn Downs enhancing 1/8 mile dirt track camshaft, cats running dogs howling and two thumbs up it never gets old LOL

Last edited:
My Hi-Tech exhaust system consists of five feet of 3 inch straight pipe followed by Flowmaster 40s , 3-inch long tailpipes with turn Downs enhancing 1/8 mile dirt track camshaft, cats running dogs howling and two thumbs up it never gets old LOL
Nothing wrong with that, it sounds like my old system I ran for 25 years with many different mufflers, all of the loud variety. lol
at least you have turn downs.

This sounds like fun! I want more sound from my exhaust. Lol

yes sometimes it's a little much like when I drive it to work in the morning there's really no sneaking around. But plenty of people crawl around it trying to figure out how I get that sound and then they're amazed to see how simple it is. It doesn't do well with Dusty surfaces like I'm never popular with the feather duster crew at the car shows. But those are amazing exhaust systems being featured in this thread!

While contemplating what exhaust to get for my 512 RB, I went back to the book that I used to guide my build. Andy Finkbeiner's "How to build Max-Performance Mopar Big-Blocks". In the exhaust section he reaffirms the work by Jim Hand and states that the 3 inch rules only goes back to the muffler. I have taken a snapshot of the section of the great book where he covers that. If I violated copyrights, Please delete and I will type it. The book is great and I hope that me posting it will help sales instead of taking sales away. If @AndyF has any further comments from when the book was written, I would love to hear them. this makes the Pypes offering very attractive for my street/strip 73 Scamp.
IMG-0840.jpg

He covers mufflers as well.

Thanks for posting this Kent. It certainly solidifies some well understood exhaust principles.

Advantage of the 3 over 2.5 is 18.85 extra sq inches of radiating surface per foot........... each. I think that works out to plus 20% or so.
Butno, the exhaust coming out the back of my full-length dual 3s is not cool enough to chill my sodaz
My entiire system, not including headers weighs about 70 odd pounds, with the mufflers a tic over half that.
How light can you make a dual 2.5 with 2.0 tail pipes and 3pass muffs? Could you make it 55? A savings of 15 pounds? What does that cost me in terms of performance?
I don't really care,lol; jus ruminating........
Once the engine gets up on the cam for 6 or 7 seconds at WOT, I could care less, those 3s are singing a happy song.

Last edited:
-
Back