New 383 Build for My Son's '68 Dart

-
That's understandable. But when you think about it, the ring tool only allows movement one way. When you spiral them on, they are allowed stress relief both opening and twisting. Also, they do not compress to go into the cylinder nearly as much as the tool expands them to go over the piston.

Rob's dead on. Always spiral them on. I get nervous ,watching ring expanders.

I like what your cookin and may use your recipe. What are your induction plans?

Edelbrock Performer intake (found new on Ebay for $145) and a Holley 600 currently on the 318 in the car now. Yeah, everyone says it's too small, but at 95% VE at 5500 rpm it'll only be pulling 590 cfm. If nothing else, it'll sure have good off-idle response......

This engine is all about torque anyway, not top-end hp.

Finally got the last piston in. Timing cover's on, water pump's on, oil pump's on. The weekend project is to fab and weld in baffles for the 187 pan we have.....

Attachments

• 8-2-13s.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 661
Looks good! I'm gathering parts to do a 383 build for my Duster this winter, hopefully it will be ready to hit the road again in the spring.

We ran into a little fit issue with the oil pump pickup. We have a pickup with the straight intake pipe, and the pan will not seat on the block rails with the pickup installed. We have orderd a different pickup per a recommendation from RustyRatRod, and we'll see how it fits (due in today, the old p/n was a Melling 63-S3, the new pickup is a 63-S4). Hopefully, the new pickup will also clear the baffles we welded into the pan. May have to trim them....

I'll keep an eye on this one, as I have the same pan and don't want to run into the same issue.

your gonna have a blast with this 383 in your dart. i have a low comp. 383 with eddy heads and way too much cam. it still runs really hard.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ovfE81ZxH2k?t=2m40s[/ame]

Got the oil pickup in. Had to cut about 3/8 inch off and rethread it to make it fit. The curved pickup didn't fit at all, used the straight pickup. Also got the pan installed, as well as the balancer, crank pulley, and fuel pump. And painted the block..... Hope to get the heads installed this weekend, and maybe the Schumacher mounts.....

Attachments

• 8-16-13 Left s.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 575
  • 8-16-13 Right s.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 540
Sorry about the wrong advice on the pickup. It was the only other one I knew to try.

Sorry about the wrong advice on the pickup. It was the only other one I knew to try.

Not a problem. Advice is always appreciated. And if the pan hadn't been "modified" by a wheelstand in the past, the curved one might have fit.... we beat it out to mostly original shape, but we don't have an original to compare it to. An "unmodified" original might be deeper still......

Heads are on. Also installed the oil press senders and the right engine mount. Left mount interferes with the oil pump relief plug, so we'll probably have to relieve it about 1/8 inch. Gonna rebuild the p/s pump tomorrow, hopefully.

Attachments

• 8-17-13 s.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 521
nice build! im doing a 383 right now that had a 22cc dome with a 255/256 at .050 cam. 915 heads. again nice build up should be fun!

Nice work! When you get in the mood, you get in the mood. lol

Got the p/s pump rebuilt and installed yesterday. Next is getting the rockers and shafts installed and getting a pushrod length measurement....

Attachments

• 8-18-13 s.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 490
Need the group to check my pushrod setup.... Does this angle look acceptable, with a checking length of 8-7/16 inches ?? Also, do I need 5/16 or 3/8 pushrods ?

Attachments

• Pushrod Angle s.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 482
-
Back