New 6.4 Hemi-Powered Jeep Wrangler On The Way???

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Seen on the internet earlier today

Jeep Wrangler to Get Hemi V8?

Rumor has it that Chrysler's famed off-roader may soon come with monster power.

Hot off the tips wire: Jeep may be planning a Hemi 392-powered version of its legendary Wrangler.

The engine bay you see here belongs to a 2011 Wrangler. The engine is Chrysler's recently introduced 6.4-liter "392" V8, the same powerplant found in the Dodge Challenger SRT8 392. In that car, it produces 470 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque, along with a suitably snarly, obnoxious exhaust note. No current production Wrangler is offered with a V8.

According to our well-placed and trustworthy tipster, this vehicle was built for Michael Manley, Jeep's current president and CEO. It was assembled by American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) in Montana, an aftermarket Jeep firm with strong ties to the industry and long history of Wrangler Hemi conversions. (Note that AEV has constructed concept vehicles and tested other ideas for Chrysler in the past.) It's rumored to have been built for executive evaluation, meaning we may be looking at an early iteration of a future model.

The current Wrangler derives its power from Chrysler's corporate 3.8-liter, 202-horsepower V6. It's capable, though coarse, offering decent power and economy. Its sole handicap is character -- the 3.8 has nowhere near as much charm as Chrysler's long-dead, Francois-Castaing-designed 4.0-liter straight six.

A drive note on the 392 Wrangler from our tipster:

"Six-speed manual with an active intake runner. Will go sideways in third if you mat the throttle."

That sounds like the best thing since ever. All you Jeep guys, start writing letters. Somebody must make this happen.

00100065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d9-0000-0000-000000000000_20110330161710_Jeep%20Wrangler%20With%20Hemi%20V8.jpg

Geez! Sounds frightening. I had a 304 V8 in my old Jeep, CJ, and that was hairy enough. we used to liken it to the stability of an old Fuel Altered. Some here might be old enough to remember them. Big HP, (very) short wheel base. Very little handling control.

sign me up for one I was waiting to see if Chrysler was going to put the penta-star v6 in the 2012 wrangler then I would sell my 2003 tj

Way to cool, no need for low gears with that kind of Hp and torque
I'll take one :thumbrig: in a gold'ish sand color.

I had an 08. There have been places like COP 4x4, Northridge Screamin Lizard and Burnsville been doin this a while now. I wouldn't hold my breath for Chrysler.

I'm not really diggin the looks of the engine......if that is how the new 6.4 looks

April fool or not, I can tell yo uone thing for certain. If Chrysler ever does this install, you can bet your *** it will NOT have a piece of **** open element air filter.

-
Back