NEW A904 TRANSMISSION BUILD>>>>

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
hey I have a stock 1973 a904 tf6 from behind a 318 going to be now rebuilt to handle a new power of the BUILT 318 now going in car...... I have built lots of 700r4's, t400's, 4l60e, 4l80e, and 6l80/90e transmissions, lots of stick shifts....even a ford e40d.... but never a a904 or a727... fixed a few a518's with lipping in a band...I have access to all tools, work for a dealership as a tech.... any suggestion's on what upgrades will be necessary for a hot 318 on NOS 100 shot, with 3:55 gears, and planning on @2500 stall converter.... any suggestions on reasonable brands for street use? mainly a street car.... will see some play time. has a mp 340cam... if it matters....

Try to get 5 thin clutches in the front drum and 4 in the rear. Need to do some careful measuring and use selective snap rings.
Billet spring retainer kit from A&A. Billet rear servo, 4.2 kickdown lever. Teflon sealing rings in the reaction shaft support. Check the bushings, make sure they are not toast. Check with your converter manufacturer about which bushing to use in the pump, some want a babbitt so as to not chew up the converter snout.

Use the babbitt bushing on the converter. On your converter, my suggestion is to contact one of the converter builders before you decide what stall you may need. A compentant converter builder will ask you a lot of questions to make sure you GET THE RIGHT converter for your application. If you look at the various converter builders websites, they typically have a spec sheet there for you to fill out. Give them all the information they ask for. You can check out the sites of A-1, Dynamic, TCS and other builders and the sheets are there for you to fill out. Don't B.S. them, or I can guarantee that the converter you get will be wrong.

ok I finally got around to taking apart the A904 transmission, is a 1973 stamped case, has been apart before, it has 4 clutches front and rear, waffle front clutches, standard rear, solid low kick down band, and has wide 2" double wrap band for low/reverse, has a 4 pinion planetary, looks as if someone has tried to build it once before. the accumulator piston is aluminum, and the servo is aluminum, servo fits real loose in bore, but seals are old, I didn't;t see any signs of damage in case or bores. im not going to the 5 dick upgrade, too mush have to change inputs, 4 is god for the street . is where most of the life will be at. what is recommended for raising line pressure up same for performance? plan to run some good parts, but since I have factory aluminum servos and accumulator do I need a billet ones? are the red eagle clutches worth it? I need to micrometer check the clutches I have, to match since there are different thickness I found out. don't want to take apart again. but don't want crappy go smo build. I hear good and bad for tci builds. just was trying to keep mostly stock like they do , but with a few performance mods while there that are recommended or necessary for the street.

A904build1.png

A904build2.png

A904build3.png

A904build4.png

A904build5.png

-
Back