New addition to the School

-
So I go to replace my "leaking fuel sending unit lock ring" today. Put it up on ramps and loosen it up after running the tank down to an 1/8 and gas spews out. Not having leaked a drop before I now believe the tank has a crack or hole in the back rather than a leaky lock ring. So looks like I need a new tank.

I went out to the Cuda yesterday to start her up, turned the key and then nothing. I realize the battery is dead. I've had it on a trickle charge all the time prior to this, so I didn't really know the state of the ignition and charging system. I have driven some, but never for long. So now that I upgraded the alternator to Starter Solenoid so my dash won't burn up, I decided to upgrade the alternator and get a new battery as the old alt was only putting out 12.7 at the alt. I didn't want to mess with the bracketry so I went with a later model 2 field direct fit square back unit from a '78 Dodge. It actually fit better than the old single field alt. Put in the new stuff and I've now got 14.2 v at the alt. Next will be to upgrade the voltage regulator to a newer electronic style. I decided to just order one off ebay as it would cost me more in gas and entry fees and gas than the $7.50 I paid for the newer style pigtail plug. I also ordered a nice VR unit from rock auto for not much either.:cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 113
Forgot to mention, I also got some new shoes for the girl as well. 215/75r 14's all around. I like the way it looks. Probably could have fit wider tires out back, but if/when I upgrade to discs I'll have to get different size wheels most likely anyway so I went with an economical decision here.

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 115
Great catch! I think in the long run you'll be very happy that the car has the 318. I personally like the dog dish caps with 14" wheels on the small a-bodies, but the rally wheels look good too.

Travis

I guess I should have mentioned this up front. But my intent is to almost always have this be a driver, not a trailer queen. I want to be able to take it to cruises, meets, group outings etc. and want the down time to be held to a minimum. Therefore my goals are not drastic/transformational, or necessarily inspiring. I just want to be able to enjoy this vintage motor and upgrade/update as I go. I don't want it to become one of those always in the garage deals where it's never finished. Got to enjoy this ride while I can.

Finally managed to find a nice intake for the 318, LD4B. Seems to be in very good condition. Now on to the cam and carb.

IMG_1509.JPG

I finally got back to some work on the Fish and installed the Plus 1 Espo spring kit and very happy with the results. Loving the rake front to back, exactly what I was looking for.

Pre Espo Springs 2.jpg

Post espo 1.jpg

So my gas tank needed new grommets, gaskets, lock ring etc so I pulled it all out the other day. Looked inside and found lots of rust so I decided to start new. And well, once it was out decided to replace the shocks while it was convenient. So here's the new Bilsteins in place and looking good.
IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg

Finally have all the parts for the gas tank too so that will go in this weekend weather permitting.

-
Back