New Best time for my 318!

-
Well everybody, once again my little 318 surprised me! I now have a new best time of 12.52 @ 107 mph!! I must say I didn't do it alone, but had help from the bottle! I was tired of not getting back in the 12's in Bitburg (high elevation) so I decided to put it on the bottle. I had done my research here about squeezing her as I had my worries with the hypereutectic pistons. I did prepare for it when I put the pistons in 3 years ago and gapped the rings right for nitrous. I must say that I am now addicted!! I had a big fat grin as soon as I hit the button after about 4000 rpm in first gear! There are still some things that I want to do, but I must say the motor is still running strong!
I followed the NOS jetting reccomendations and backed the timing 3 degrees with the 100 shot and closed the plug gap from .050 to .030 and let her rip! The first run was a 12.67 down from a 13.3! The next morning I forgot to hit the switch and hit it about 1000 rpm too late and turned a 12.900. The following run I hit it at 4000 rpm again and turned a 12.57 and the following run I hit it right after the launch and ran my 12.52. Boy was it a blast this weekend!! Unfortunately I do not have any videos as my buddy's camera was dead!
I also have to give props to 360duster who ran his for the first time after building his 408 '68 Valiant and ran a 12.29! Congratulations Michel!!!!

Well everybody, once again my little 318 surprised me! I now have a new best time of 12.52 @ 107 mph!! I must say I didn't do it alone, but had help from the bottle! I was tired of not getting back in the 12's in Bitburg (high elevation) so I decided to put it on the bottle. I had done my research here about squeezing her as I had my worries with the hypereutectic pistons. I did prepare for it when I put the pistons in 3 years ago and gapped the rings right for nitrous. I must say that I am now addicted!! I had a big fat grin as soon as I hit the button after about 4000 rpm in first gear! There are still some things that I want to do, but I must say the motor is still running strong!
I followed the NOS jetting reccomendations and backed the timing 3 degrees with the 100 shot and closed the plug gap from .050 to .030 and let her rip! The first run was a 12.67 down from a 13.3! The next morning I forgot to hit the switch and hit it about 1000 rpm too late and turned a 12.900. The following run I hit it at 4000 rpm again and turned a 12.57 and the following run I hit it right after the launch and ran my 12.52. Boy was it a blast this weekend!! Unfortunately I do not have any videos as my buddy's camera was dead!
I also have to give props to 360duster who ran his for the first time after building his 408 '68 Valiant and ran a 12.29! Congratulations Michel!!!!

Thank you my friend....we´ll see what the little white granny car is able to...;-))) maybe you can send me some of christinas photos? I think she took some of my car at the starting line / launch.

I´m very impressed with the performance of your setup, well done cory! If you need help preparing for Hockenheim just let me know!

Michael

Well I used the recommended jetting of 47 N2O and 53 Fuel. I am thinking of running the plug gap to .035 next time out since the next track is significantly lower in sea level.

@Michel pictures are on the way!

That's a really rich jet package. Just about any juice unit with a fuel jet larger or same size as the N jet is FAT.

That sounds like the old jet package. If a cheater and mine, it would have a 47 n and 39 F jet in it 5.5 psi and take 6 degrees out as a start. I'd also have a 37, 41, 43 F jet on hand to fine tune it. Once you get the max mph out of the unit with the proper jetting, then start dialing timing back in 1* at a time until it slows, then go back 1*. It's NEVER a bad deal to take out more timing than you think when tuning juice!

Pull a plug and see if it's rich.

Right now you have a 100 shot N jet, but, it's so fat it may only be giving you about a 65-75 shot.

Find Monte Smith on fastmopars or yellowbullet and ask him how he'd jet the set up. IMO, there's a bunch more left in that 100 shot.

Sounds like you had fun!

Thanks for the tips. I had seen a cool nitrous calculator on a web site and it said that I had a too fat of a jet like you said. I was thinking of getting a couple more to tune it a little better.

Lean is mean unless it is engine break in (or supercharged) then it changes to fat is where it's at.

I hope Monte doesn't mind me posting what he sent me in a pm...

I didn't change the Sniper jetting, as that is just a low cost "starter kit"................Jet it as you would a "Cheater" as that is exactly what it is, just lower cost

If you have an AF gauge, jet it so you end up with the same AF as when running WOT on engine.

Next time out I will put in the 53N and 55 F jets in to get close to 125 shot. I just want to stay on the safe side until October than I will let it all out in the Final run.

I changed my mind, I will be using the 55n and 53 fuel. I already changed them when I finally changed out my old Prof. Products Chinese air gap for a real air gap. I will have to wait to run it as I now know that the thermostat and neck are smaller for the magnums than the LAs.

Hi Cory,

did the air bleeds arrive?

Would have been a nice comparison between the two intakes....tell us what you think about the new one - if there´s any difference.

Michael

There will be - and it may require carburetor tuning changes - so you might want to get that worked out before you hit the nitrous...

I was running a Edlebrock RPM intake on my Demon that had a 360 in it.I was spraying 125 shot of NOS on it. It would pick 5 tenths in the 1/8. When I put a single plane intake on it the next weekend it picked up 7 tenths. I was shocked that a single plane made that much difference when using NOS. It ran about the same without NOS with both intakes. It was a Holley Strip Dominator single plane intake.

Attachments

• Demon 2 001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 425
Nice 318 car. Who says those old 318's were just grocery getters.

I love the Holley Strip Dominator!!!!! FTW!
Pretty successful little 318 you have there, I usually use the NOS recommended jetting but play with timing, I'm probably leaving a little on the table but I'm not hurting parts so it's okay with me lol.

Well, This weekend was another successful weekend in Hockenheim! First two runs were on just the motor and turned a new best all motor run of 12.87 on the first pass! The second run was not so good with a 12.99 as the track heated up in the afternoon. I decided to stick with the recommended jetting of 55N and 61F and turned a 12.29! The next day I decided to lower the fuel jetting to .059 as I noticed during the run it was at 10.6 AF/R. Then it ran a 12.05 @ 179 km/h and it was around 11.2 AF/R! So I evened the jets out at .055 and ran a 11.98!! Everytime I was turning the NOS on right after launch as I thought the tires would not be able to handle the power right off the start. On the last run I turned the switch on right after the burnout and low and behold the tires stuck!! She took off like a rocket with a 1.76 60 ft time and a 11.91 @ 181.86 km/h!!! I must say that I am happy as can be running 11's!!!

What was the AF with the .055 F jet?

Keep stepping on the Fuel jet until you get it in the same range as your NA AF.

Nice job!

great job, mr. 11seconds :D

You are the man! ****, now i´m slower than you again....:D

congrats to the whole team mean318!!!

Michael

Congratulations on your 11.
I met some of your countryman the other week at the mopar euronats at santa pod. A guy called Nickel from Dortmund pitted next to me, had an almost identical car to my Satellite, we really got on well.
cheers Mick

I forgot to look at the gauge with the 55 jets in it. I was having too much fun!! I am in the process of bugging my buddy for the videos as it is kinda hard for me to take it myself.

-
Back