New build A833 18 spline with Gear Vendors OD.

-
Didn't get too far today, but I did get clutch and pressure plate installed.

View attachment 1716301759
How will you Dial-In the BellHousing with the Clutch already in place?

20220528_154535.jpg

Install on hold, waiting for an aluminum flywheel to arrive, also swapped 3.91 gears for 4.10. Might as well make full use of the OD feature of GV, lol.
You’re going to love that aluminum flywheel. I’m running the aluminum Ram 2503 flywheel with a 900 Powergrip. The clutch engagement is a lot more touchy than my old Hays B/B but I’m getting used to it. I think we’re running similar engine combinations and I can tell you that the stroked W2 with aluminum flywheel will rev like a sewing machine. You’ll hit 7K rpm before you can blink. Lots of fun!

Today I test fit the transmission without clutch installed. The purpose for today's effort was to establish total installed length, in order to get a driveshaft ordered. I found the B body shifter mounting bosses (which I don't use or need), are interfering with the upper transmission cross member. I have removed the transmission and will proceed to grind these bosses down, I will verify this with Gear Vendors tomorrow before I proceed.

20241006_120935.jpg
20241006_120941.jpg

You’re going to love that aluminum flywheel. I’m running the aluminum Ram 2503 flywheel with a 900 Powergrip. The clutch engagement is a lot more touchy than my old Hays B/B but I’m getting used to it. I think we’re running similar engine combinations and I can tell you that the stroked W2 with aluminum flywheel will rev like a sewing machine. You’ll hit 7K rpm before you can blink. Lots of fun!
My 360 based W2 engine hit 8k in a blink with factory flywheel .
My new 408 W2 with only 246/250 duration not so fast even with a 20lb McCloud SFI steel flywheel .

My 360 based W2 engine hit 8k in a blink with factory flywheel .
My new 408 W2 with only 246/250 duration not so fast even with a 20lb McCloud SFI steel flywheel .
I can understand that, a very good friend of mine ( who built my engine), has explained to me about an engines rate of acceleration, and how it relates to performance. This can't be accurately measured on a dyno, but becomes very evident at the track. Not surprising to hear your account of how a 3.58" stroke accelerates vs 4".

I still have the Heavy rebalanced 340 flywheel on my 367, and I love it. With a 10.97 starter gear, she's a blip-it-and-go deal, and that heavy beast keeps it idling across/around the parking lot, at 550rpm= 4mph, with a 230cam . Some days down to [email protected], lol.
For me; how fast it revs is meaningless cuz at WOT, this 367 spins the tires to any speed limit in the province. What I mean is that with spinning tires, the Rs flash to 7000/7200, and just stay there until I lift, usually 65mph.
How long the engine takes to return to idle, is of no consequence to me; and not really a good thing if compression braking locks the back tires up, which is partly why the car wears 295s.
Many years ago, I had contemplated a lightweight Flywheel, but put it on the back-burner. Never been sorry about that decision.

I'll be waiting to see how you like it.

As for that front boss, I didn't need it anyway and was pretty sure the GV was gonna stay in my car forever, so I sliced it off and prettied it up a lil.
I used the rear mount, and also moved the entire shifter some 7 inches back between the buckets, and over to my thigh. I haven't missed a shift in the 20 years since.

Didn't accomplish as much as I would have liked today, got the B body casting for the shifter mount ground down about 3/8". A quick call to GV this morning to make sure I didn't void my warranty or anything. They assured me it would be fine as the adapter is a very robust casting.

20241007_180729.jpg
20241007_194130.jpg
20241007_194254.jpg

bummer that gv tailstock for the od unit doesn't have the a body shifter mount on it and the extension bracket is required .

bummer that gv tailstock for the od unit doesn't have the a body shifter mount on it and the extension bracket is required .
In my case, it might be a blessing actually, but in general terms I agree with you. I am likely going to install a Hurst Ramrod shifter, the bracket will provide me the freedom to locate the shifter exactly where I want, and reduce the need to cut the floor up. I am pretty certain I can make it fit through factory floor hole.
20240811_142330.jpg

In my case, it might be a blessing actually, but in general terms I agree with you. I am likely going to install a Hurst Ramrod shifter, the bracket will provide me the freedom to locate the shifter exactly where I want, and reduce the need to cut the floor up. I am pretty certain I can make it fit through factory floor hole.
View attachment 1716312989

By far my favorite shifter. It’s inline but it’s not a Vertigate.

Hurst pooped the bed when they quit making that and started doing the vertigate.

So the new aluminum flywheel arrived, I will be away until Thurday evening for work, then I can begin to reassemble. For those interested, a Ram 1503 flywheel and clutch assembly weighs 51.9lbs, the 1503LW lightweight steel flywheel and clutch weighs 43.8lbs and the Ram 2503 aluminum flywheel and clutch weighs 36.0lbs. This should change the rate of acceleration, I would think.

20241018_155846.jpg
20241018_161029.jpg

So the new aluminum flywheel arrived, I will be away until Thurday evening for work, then I can begin to reassemble. For those interested, a Ram 1503 flywheel and clutch assembly weighs 51.9lbs, the 1503LW lightweight steel flywheel and clutch weighs 43.8lbs and the Ram 2503 aluminum flywheel and clutch weighs 36.0lbs. This should change the rate of acceleration, I would think.

View attachment 1716317859View attachment 1716317860

Now I have to weigh my junk. The cast iron pressure ring in these covers adds some excess weight so that has to be taken into consideration.

-
Back