• Yes

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
-
I built a 69 Charger R/T for myself and have a 72 Valiant I am doing now, then I have a 70 Dart last in line. I am well aware of what it takes.
If it's something that you'd like to try, then by all means try it. Will it fail ? Will it succeed ? You won't know till you prove it one way or the other. You asked for opinions, so mine is simple:
  • Nobody here will know till you try it
  • Don't tie your personal home or cars up into the business.

**** I'd work there! And Sunoco is an added bonus. I even have an old Sunoco gas pump with the 260 still on it. Old guy, yes but I sure work on old Mopars.

I dont know man.

You kinda got a funky attitude. You asked for our advice and you got it.

Take it or leave it.

I know for a fact a few of the people anwsering your questions ALREADY have jobs restoring, modifying and repairing old cars.

You did one, one and a half cars?
Some of us do this for a living.
Every day.

I am thinking of an idea and wanted to gauge its popularity with the intended customers.

The idea is to start up a business that will sell, service, restore and provide parts for “1960-1974 focused” Chrysler Products.

Imperial
Chrysler
Plymouth
Dodge
Dodge Trucks

My idea is to make it like one were to step back into time and land at the respective dealership for each brand.

Each “dealer” building would have a showroom featuring models from a certain model year (i.e. 1968 Valiant, Belvedere, Fury, etc.) All models would be restored or unrestored in good condition and everything would be available 2-doors, 4-doors, wagons, etc.

Parts department would sell used original parts that would be refurbished and in good condition, new reproduction parts, nos parts, and new Mopar Performance parts (where applicable) for each make.

Service would be a full service department offering most common services in-house and use real vintage equipment and modern equipment.

Restoration Shop would take on customer-pay jobs and restore vehicles for sale by the house for the lot. All lot vehicles would be restored faithfully to factory specs and 100% stock according to each model year.

A fuel station would be located on the premises to provide high-quality fuel (i.e. Sunoco) for all vehicle, and would be accessible to customers.

Just a thought and wanted to see what the reactions would be.

Bad idea...

High start up costs. No bank is going to finance a niche market business, so that's probably not an option.

High overhead costs. Skilled people aren't cheap, dependable skilled people are even more expensive. To keep them working there, figure on some perks like 401K and personal time. Buildings with enough space in decent areas aren't cheap to rent... or heat... or electric bills etc. Then there's taxes and insurance. Accountants and payroll services too.... and there's so many other things. Here's just one example of a cost you won't figure on.... A big place will need a cleaning crew to come in because you don't want the high priced skilled guys sweeping the floors when they can be earning money. There will be other costs that will nickel and dime you to the poorhouse if you aren't careful.

Next, and you really have to consider this... The market for restoration of 60-74 cars is shrinking at an alarming rate. Look around at any show and the guys are 65 years old plus (that's being generous). The younger guys can't afford the resto costs, so forget about reaching into their wallets. These guys aren't going to be going to Cars and Coffee at the Dairy Queen forever and as they age, the cars are going to get parked and sold... and not at the Barrett Jackson prices either. It's going to be cheaper to buy a car already done (actually it is now) but it will become even more expensive to have a car restored and why do it when there's families selling grandpop's old car for a fraction of the cost.

Look around at any of the shows and the new metric cars like the Challengers and Chargers are taking over... Even the dyed in the wool old car guys are driving Hellcats now. Again, your market for old cars is shrinking.

So, IMHO, it's not a good idea.

Want to do something that involves restoration? Find some small niche that guys need. Rebuild starters and alternators for example.. Keep it small and focused with a low overhead and you might be able to make a little money at it.

Of course I love the idea. But I don't see it as a money maker. I think you would have to have a lot of money already or a separate money making business and treat this as a side business.

If I can ever figure out those darn PowerBall numbers...

I had this idea in the early 90s and my grandfather talked me out of it for most of the reasons above. I kind of wish I had done it, because the first 15 years of the 2000's I would have been established, & the market was hot.
NOW, I fully agree with all of the above

Last edited:
-
Back