New cam for my 318

-

challyrtse

Reaction score
I'm going to run this by everyone here, because I am by no means a cam expert; I'm just some dude who loves Mopars and is mechanically inclined.
My 318 was replaced about 12 years ago after the last one finally gave up the ghost on me on the highway. When I put the "new" one in (I got a rebuilt crate engine from a local auto shop) I added the following aftermarket goodies:
1) Edelbrock Performer dual plane aluminum intake
2) Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm carburetor
3) Mopar electronic ignition
4) dual exhaust - 2.25 inch, no cross-pipe, stock manifolds

So that is where I am today. The car sat for about 7 years, but I have gotten her back to road-worthy. Now I am itching for something exciting to do - so I thought, why not drop in a different cam?
I found this setup on summit's website: it's part# cca-k20-221-3 if the link doesn't work...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=cca-k20-221-3&dds=1

Remember, I am looking for something to compliment what I have already. I am running stock heads, a stock 904 auto-tranny, and a stock 2.76 geared 7 1/4 inch rear end. I have no desire to replace the tranny or rear end soon, and heads are a maybe. I'm looking to pick up some pep, without sacrificing my limbs or children at the gas pump.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Would I notice a difference with this cam? Is there some other place I should be spending my $400-500 right now? Would this turn my engine into a transmission and rear end destroying beast?

Thanks in advance everyone. I look forward to reading the replies!

The XE256 is a good little cam for a street 318. I know because I installed one in my 1970 Valiant hardtop (Australian, same as 67-69 Dart) when I rebuilt the 318. Same combo as yours basically. Nice, slightly noticeable but smooth idle, good response, lots more power than the factory cam (albeit the engine was tired). Very happy with it.

That should be a fine choice. I'd look to replaceing the rear first, just my opinion. If you swapped out the rear for a 8-1/4 and added gear , you could increase the cam and performance thereafter.

IMO, it would be money well spent and not, "Well... (just) spent."

Hey Rob,

I have virtually the same equipment configuration as the thread originator and I was curious as to what might be the biggest camshaft you would suggest putting into it, given the specific configuration. I had already completely replaced the brake hardware on my open 2.26:1 differential but transferred it across when I got my paws on a Sure-Grip 2.76:1 through a local FABO member.

I apologize if it sounds like I am trying to hijack the thread but I wanted to get an honest opinion based upon your trials and tribulations. I was thinking of the Lunati 60402 (0.475"/0.494") or 60403 (0.494"/0.513") with a preference for the first.

That should be a fine choice. I'd look to replaceing the rear first, just my opinion. If you swapped out the rear for a 8-1/4 and added gear , you could increase the cam and performance thereafter.

Ooh, I have heard good things about the Lunati cams. Does anyone here have a preference between Lunati and Comp?
Claudius, don't worry about any perceived "hijacking" of the thread. This forum is for everyone, not just me!
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I think I'll do it, and perhaps a rear end swap later. How easy is it to find better rears for these old A bodies?

I was going to send you a PM but I do not think that you are set up to receive them. I located my 7-1/4" Sure-Grip rear axle assembly in fairly short order after posting a request in the "Cars and Car Parts Wanted" forum. It was located just over an hour's drive away. You never know unless you advertise that you are looking!

Also, check out the forum advertising parts for sale. You never know what you might find. Keep an eye on eBay or Craigslist and do not be afraid to post a link if you want other FABO members to offer their comments on a given item.

If you want something brand new, Moser Engineering makes complete 8.75" axle assemblies for A, B, and E bodies for ~$1100 @Summit Racing and then you have to get the pumpkin and brake hardware thereafter.

Remember that your small bolt pattern wheels (5x4") with the 7.25" will have to be swapped for the large bolt pattern of the 8.25" or 8.75" (5x4.5") differential/axle assemblies. You will need new U-bolts and shock absorber plates too.

Lunati is a bit cheaper (than Comp Cams) if comparing camshaft & lifter kits and they are supposed to be a bit quieter than most when closing the valve due to the unique shape of the lobes. However, I will not suggest one ahead of the other because I am not terribly knowledgeable either.

Ooh, I have heard good things about the Lunati cams. Does anyone here have a preference between Lunati and Comp?
Claudius, don't worry about any perceived "hijacking" of the thread. This forum is for everyone, not just me!
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I think I'll do it, and perhaps a rear end swap later. How easy is it to find better rears for these old A bodies?

With exhaust manifolds, the Comp Cam 255DEH is what I would use.

With headers, A Comp 265DEH or the XE256H witch I think would offer a hair more torque than the DEH. The DEH would give a hair more HP up top. I think it's a split.

Between the Lunati's, the "402" is what I would use. It's RPM band suites the gear ratio best IMO. Though I like the "401" better than the two choice's you gave me.

Can you please elaborate a bit as to your preference for the Lunati 60401 as compared to the 60402? (I will be buying KB399 pistons and have 340 heads to go on top of them.)

I know that the camshaft selection is probably the most critical item I have to choose so I want to get it right. I will look into the XE256H as well. Thanks in advance.

With exhaust manifolds, the Comp Cam 255DEH is what I would use.

With headers, A Comp 265DEH or the XE256H witch I think would offer a hair more torque than the DEH. The DEH would give a hair more HP up top. I think it's a split.

Between the Lunati's, the "402" is what I would use. It's RPM band suites the gear ratio best IMO. Though I like the "401" better than the two choice's you gave me.

Claude, with this equip[ment;

1) Edelbrock Performer dual plane aluminum intake
2) Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm carburetor
3) Mopar electronic ignition
4) dual exhaust - 2.25 inch, no cross-pipe, stock manifolds
And this axle ratio;
2.76:1
With stock sized tires, the RPM range of the cam I myself would use works well within the RPM range of the equipment and axle ratio up to 3.23.

I have used a 218/228 Crane and it worked well in a simlar set up. It could have used ethier more gear or stall. (I had a 3.21 gear.)

i agree with this. A swap to an 8.25 with 3.21s or an 8.75 with 3.23s would probably give a bigger performance boost than any cam swap at this point. And your 7.25 is probably on borrowed time. A 318 with stock converter and 2.76 gears is very easy to overcam and if you are not careful you could end up with a car that won't break the tires loose from a standing start.

Thanks Rob. As always, the advice is greatly appreciated.
Your welcome Claude. Allways a pleasure.

i agree with this. A swap to an 8.25 with 3.21s or an 8.75 with 3.23s would probably give a bigger performance boost than any cam swap at this point. And your 7.25 is probably on borrowed time. A 318 with stock converter and 2.76 gears is very easy to overcam and if you are not careful you could end up with a car that won't break the tires loose from a standing start.

I should have added that in. Good addition 440.

-
Back