New car mileage

-
Every single modern 4 banger i have driven has felt anemic

And im not talking about struggling to hit 80 on the on ramp, im talking struggling to keep up with moderate traffic
That's what I always liked about the PT Cruisers. They were long legged with a lot of torque. 50-80 mph was a nice steady pull.

In my opinion, the 4 cylinder engine that's in the newer Malibu's is to small for the size of the car, this making it under powered and poor fuel mileage. The 2023 Colorado's are all going to have a 2.7 4 banger, that power plant is way to small for the Colorado. GM is making the truck bigger and putting a toy motor in it. The inline 5 was a good engine, was good on gas had plenty of power and would run forever, this is why gm quit building it and the 3.1 V/6 as well.
I just bought a 06 Colorado with the I-5 It seems like a nice runner. They did that one right same basic design with the 4,5, and 6 cylinder inline engines. They put them in the right vehicles. 2 wd Colorado got the 4, 4 wd got the 5, and the larger Trailblazers got the 6. 20-25mpg between the models.

Mileage ratings were in fact derated. I have done quite a bit of fuel economy & emissions testing at Roush Labs in Livonia, Michigan over the years. The tests we did were the FTP-75, which is the way older cars were tested for the window sticker. The newer testing requires air conditioning or heat be run, high temp testing in Arizona and sub-freezing temp testing in Sweden. That is part of why the numbers went down.

Several posters state actual observed mileage was worse on newer vehicles than newer ones. Most of the really good fuel economy vehicles are combining turbos, on a small engine, using a mix of GDI and PFI, with hybrid electric. We entered a 2008 Hyundai Sonata in the X-Prize 100 MPGe Fuel Economy Race back in 2010. Although we achieved an unofficial 83 MPG at Michigan Raceway in one of the trials, and got an actual high 50's mpg in the real world, Roush gave us a paltry 42 mpg in their FTP-75 testing. The window sticker claimed 30 MPG Hwy.
Sonata1.jpg

42mpgXprize.png

Mileage ratings were in fact derated. I have done quite a bit of fuel economy & emissions testing at Roush Labs in Livonia, Michigan over the years. The tests we did were the FTP-75, which is the way older cars were tested for the window sticker. The newer testing requires air conditioning or heat be run, high temp testing in Arizona and sub-freezing temp testing in Sweden. That is part of why the numbers went down.

Several posters state actual observed mileage was worse on newer vehicles than newer ones. Most of the really good fuel economy vehicles are combining turbos, on a small engine, using a mix of GDI and PFI, with hybrid electric. We entered a 2008 Hyundai Sonata in the X-Prize 100 MPGe Fuel Economy Race back in 2010. Although we achieved an unofficial 83 MPG at Michigan Raceway in one of the trials, and got an actual high 50's mpg in the real world, Roush gave us a paltry 42 mpg in their FTP-75 testing. The window sticker claimed 30 MPG Hwy.
View attachment 1716007711

View attachment 1716007712
Drive it like you have a egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

I just bought a 06 Colorado with the I-5 It seems like a nice runner. They did that one right same basic design with the 4,5, and 6 cylinder inline engines. They put them in the right vehicles. 2 wd Colorado got the 4, 4 wd got the 5, and the larger Trailblazers got the 6. 20-25mpg between the models.
My 2010 Colorado was a 4 wheel drive and with the cruise control set at 65 with the ac on I got right at 27 mpg on the highway, my 2019 with a V/6 gets 19-20. It has cylinder deactivation technology that only works going down hill how stupid it should work once you have reached a steady pace. People think that 8 and 10 speed transmission's help, they don't, electric power steering no difference.

My 2010 Colorado was a 4 wheel drive and with the cruise control set at 65 with the ac on I got right at 27 mpg on the highway, my 2019 with a V/6 gets 19-20. It has cylinder deactivation technology that only works going down hill how stupid it should work once you have reached a steady pace. People think that 8 and 10 speed transmission's help, they don't, electric power steering no difference.
I hope to get mine out on the highway for a 3 hour interstate trip. 25 would be excellent. 27 would be stellar. I am used to 18 with my V6 Dakota.

I hope to get mine out on the highway for a 3 hour interstate trip. 25 would be excellent. 27 would be stellar. I am used to 18 with my V6 Dakota.
I had a 1989 ram and a 1998 ram both where 318's and highway gear's, just plain trucks and the mileage was terrible, around the low teens, I'll never have another dodge truck again.

cars weigh a lot more than they used to . Melissas compact Acura TSX weighs 3650 lbs . My Dodge Ram 1500 is around 6500 . And engines put out more HP than ever . And people drive like frigging idiots ! Full throttle everywhere !

cars weigh a lot more than they used to . Melissas compact Acura TSX weighs 3650 lbs . My Dodge Ram 1500 is around 6500 . And engines put out more HP than ever . And people drive like frigging idiots ! Full throttle everywhere !
Wow that TSX did put on some weight

I had one in the late 90s, and it couldn't have weighed more then 250 pounds

Depending on gearing a 4 cyl can get way worse MPG on the highway vs city.

My bet is anyone getting 30-50 MPG in 70's/80's inline 6 or v8 cars was either doing the math wrong or was that one in a million anomaly build.

I had a 67 Coronet 318 "white hat" package car that basically only had an automatic and no other options.

Was super light, manual steering, 2.76 7 1/4 axle.

Engine ran so efficiently, clean water dripped from the tailpipe.

That car got about 18 city, 25 or just a touch more highway, and was a crazy anomaly.

How can they weight more because the interiors are plastic, rubber bumpers, plastic grills. The transmission's do weight more because of all the useless speeds they have.

Depending on gearing a 4 cyl can get way worse MPG on the highway vs city.

My bet is anyone getting 30-50 MPG in 70's/80's inline 6 or v8 cars was either doing the math wrong or was that one in a million anomaly build.

I had a 67 Coronet 318 "white hat" package car that basically only had an automatic and no other options.

Was super light, manual steering, 2.76 7 1/4 axle.

Engine ran so efficiently, clean water dripped from the tailpipe.

That car got about 18 city, 25 or just a touch more highway, and was a crazy anomaly.
I think that the reason why my parents 5th Avenue did so well was dad ran nothing but Bosch platinum plugs. My 1972 gremlin x with the 258 got 22 highway

All I know for sure is that I had 3 dodge trucks over the years, with the oldest being a 1971 and all were terrible on gas and I'll never own another dodge truck

Some of y'all should seriously drive a 1.4t Renegade.
Most of the power is in the upper RPM range, but it's nnot really lacking down low.
(Ferrari designed engine from the Dart SRT)
It's got a 4.33 gear to make some of that up.
You can feel the "multiair" change s the RPM comes up if you're heavy in it.

It's petty darn fun to drive and will scoot if you want it it.

My wife barked 3rd (yes third) on the test drive with both me and the salesman in the car with her.

It can also be extremely miserly if you baby it.

BTW- NO WAY are their any issues keeping up with traffic.

In fact, I surprised a GSXR the other day on the way home from work.
He was weaving in and out of traffic at high RPM and I happened to come up next to him at a light.
I kind of jokingly pulled the RPMs up, so he could hear a little turbo whine.
I pulled a great reaction time and beat him to just passed 50 MPH.
...and he absolutely WAS in it and trying.

my 2013 se 2.0 turbo sonata 275hp weighs just under 3600 lbs went 14.0@ 99 mph with the uncle chip at new england dragway
21 city 32 hi-way rides rough on bumpy roads changed to 225 50 18 from 225 45 18 helped alot smooth as glass otherwise
150 mph top end had plenty left at 140 mph computer limits torque in 1st and 2nd have to fool the ecu shitty 60 foot times its a mid 13 second car from a roll
otherwise its been a perfect car

While on the MPG topic, a couple questions
1. Wifes 2015 Hyundai Elantra, she has noticed the past couple years that after she fills up, that the mileage "range" has dropped. When new was approx 600km, now approx 500+/-. Is the car "learning" as it gets older?
2. My 2017 Ram, has posted "mpg" on dash. How is that calculated?
Thanks

1. Wifes 2015 Hyundai Elantra, she has noticed the past couple years that after she fills up, that the mileage "range" has dropped. When new was approx 600km, now approx 500+/-. Is the car "learning" as it gets older?
Thanks
hyundai range not really accurate most cars are prolly not right
my range reads less apon fillup if there 1/4 tank left and quickly readjust the range i dont use it
almost a 3 gallons left after gas light comes on

Thanks
I don't know how it's calculated but the one in my 2019 Colorado is 5 mpg off

All the newer cars have so much technology and safety equipment. All that wiring sensors tvs touch screens and sensors. The weight adds up fast. This is imo all unnecessary except safety equipment. We dont need tvs etc in cars. Its not a house

All the newer cars have so much technology and safety equipment. All that wiring sensors tvs touch screens and sensors. The weight adds up fast. This is imo all unnecessary except safety equipment. We dont need tvs etc in cars. Its not a house
Back seat reminders are for the idiot's that leave the kids in the car. Back up cameras, I don't use mine much, that's what mirrors are for. And people should keep their driveways clear of bikes and such.

In my opinion, the 4 cylinder engine that's in the newer Malibu's is to small for the size of the car, this making it under powered and poor fuel mileage. The 2023 Colorado's are all going to have a 2.7 4 banger, that power plant is way to small for the Colorado. GM is making the truck bigger and putting a toy motor in it. The inline 5 was a good engine, was good on gas had plenty of power and would run forever, this is why gm quit building it and the 3.1 V/6 as well.

I agree that the engine felt undersized in terms of mileage, but over 30mpg seemed to be pretty reasonable for a car of that size. The CVT that was in it also didn't help a whole lot, the car's overall quality feel has sure dropped from even 3 - 4 years ago, but of course the price has gone up.

It has something to do with the tune for ethanol. We had a 2002 Toyota Corolla that got 44MPG on the highway on a regular basis. Within the next couple years, you didn't see that anymore.

Just did a real-world combined mileage check on My '06 'rolla CE, to test some "miracle tablets", this included a decent amount of idling with the AC running parked.
1st 2 tankfuls w/o tabs avg.-; 30.5mpg.
2nd 2 tankfuls w/tabs avg.-; 30.6mpg.
Fillups were at same station, pump, ambient temp within' 3 degrees, baro within 1in.Hg, nozzle inserted fully w/seal tight against body.
The track test on My little 'rolla was 17.0sec & 78mph in the qtr. It has over 211K on it, & probably has another 150K left in it.

It has something to do with the tune for ethanol. We had a 2002 Toyota Corolla that got 44MPG on the highway on a regular basis. Within the next couple years, you didn't see that anymore.
When I first bought Mine, I sort of "extreme miled" it, this was not usage in city/idling as now. It was primarily rural roads, major rural routes with 35-50mph limits, & ~10mi highway/day. I achieved 41.3mpg that 1st tankful, but I don't have the discipline to drive like that every day!!!

-
Back