New car, new problems; 76 Duster 318

-

ceekay

Reaction score
So I just got the car, and drove it across the city back to post. Noticed a few things:

1. A quite prominent vibration that comes up during acceleration (higher speeds, why I didn't notice it when test-driving), and goes away when you let off the gas...

2. Backfiring and chugging, seems like a cyl isn't firing right. Happens under heavier acceleration, but doesn't happen during normal acceleration. After the trip to post, I noticed this didn't go away. The sound was noticeable at the back by the tailpipe. Almost sounded like something in the exhaust was plugged? No noticeable noise under the hood. Sounded like a healthy V8 chugging away. When I got to the back of the car, though, it sounded like it had dual exhaust and one pipe had a potato stuck in it...

3. Speedometer doesn't work, starts at 80 and moves up with acceleration. Anyone know any sort of fix for this aside from chucking the speedo? Also, speedo gauge light doesn't work. Fuses? Temp gauge doesn't work. Light pullswitch knob is loose, pulls right off... Anyone got an extra light switch and temp gauge from a '76 Duster?

Also, does anyone happen to have even an idiot book for this car? Hate not having one of those.

- CK

You really REALLY need to spend the money for a FACTORY service manual. You can find 'em on the 'bay, and other places on the www, in either "original issues", reprints, or "on disc."

We have a few links around here do download some free ones, but nothing newer than 72, and there WERE changes in the fuel and electrical systems.

Ceekay, before you do anything, give your car a basic tune-up. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, oil change. Check all your fluids, etc.

I suspect that your cap/rotor are to blame for symptoms 1 and 2 so I would start there. It will take you all of 5 minutes to change them out.

Good luck and don't lose heart. You've got a great car there that will give you many trouble free miles if you get it back into fighting shape.

Ok

So I just got the car, and drove it across the city back to post. Noticed a few things:

1. A quite prominent vibration that comes up during acceleration (higher speeds, why I didn't notice it when test-driving), and goes away when you let off the gas...

U joints

2. Backfiring and chugging, seems like a cyl isn't firing right. Happens under heavier acceleration, but doesn't happen during normal acceleration. After the trip to post, I noticed this didn't go away. The sound was noticeable at the back by the tailpipe. Almost sounded like something in the exhaust was plugged? No noticeable noise under the hood. Sounded like a healthy V8 chugging away. When I got to the back of the car, though, it sounded like it had dual exhaust and one pipe had a potato stuck in it...

Plugs, cap, rotor, maybe wires. (plugs first if you want)

3. Speedometer doesn't work, starts at 80 and moves up with acceleration. Anyone know any sort of fix for this aside from chucking the speedo? Also, speedo gauge light doesn't work. Fuses? Temp gauge doesn't work. Light pullswitch knob is loose, pulls right off... Anyone got an extra light switch and temp gauge from a '76 Duster?

Probably going to have to get another speedo.
Track this stuff down (Chk bulbs etc) might just be the headlight switch.

Also, does anyone happen to have even an idiot book for this car? Hate not having one of those.

- CK

U-joints...I doubt it. usually u-joints show up during steady cruise or while decelerating. Sounds more like a pinion gear bearing to me.

Ya, I have a feeling I'm gonna have to tear the dash apart... Lets just hope she comes apart (fairly) easily....

Also, was planning a tune-up sans oil change (can wait, since she's parked until temp plates come); everything from the coil to the plug. Also, will play with distro timing and see if that does anything better/worse. Also also, will play with carb settings.

As for the U-joints, is there any way to spruce these up for now? Maybe some oil or grease? Don't really have the dollars for a new driveshaft at the moment; registration, insurance, and a cool old car sorta ate up all my spending money this month...

Anyone have any recommendation on spark plug brands/types? I know the rule of thumb is NGK in an import engine (I run NGK Iridiums in my Isuzu P'up, and she LOVES it), but what are the best for a Chrysler? Looking for something hot so I won't have to replace them later, but then again plugs are plugs for the most part... Still, will need something that carries a billion kV, since I plan to put a hotter ignition system in eventually...

GTX: That's the plan... I want to get her reliable, then work on de-uglifying her and getting her a proper body job (80 scratches, sagging paint, rust, wipe marks, peeling clear, etc. all over)...

Also, since my state has no emissions testing etc, I was thinking of straight pipes off headers... I won't need the "smog pump" (air pump) anymore. Is there an easy way to cut this piece of crap off? I also have a sneaking suspicion that this could be part of the problem as well (exhaust sounds plugged and tailpipe is insanely sooty (no smoke or stank, though it could be because it's a 37 year-old exhaust pipe).... This part wouldn't happen to be the big ugly chunk of black plastic thing in front of the carb, would it?

U-joints...I doubt it. usually u-joints show up during steady cruise or while decelerating. Sounds more like a pinion gear bearing to me.
I thought the same thing, but will still check the U-joints... After all, it starts under acceleration but then goes away completely when you let off the gas. If it was running gear, I'd speculate on it happening as a constant and increasing/decreasing relative to speed...

So, I get to spend my 4-day weekend tearing my Mopar apart! :D

Thanks,
- CK

You really REALLY need to spend the money for a FACTORY service manual. You can find 'em on the 'bay, and other places on the www, in either "original issues", reprints, or "on disc."

We have a few links around here do download some free ones, but nothing newer than 72, and there WERE changes in the fuel and electrical systems.

You always say get a manual to people first,ya they help but what the HELL is FABO for? its all about our hobby and helping each outer out.

To check the u-joints, jack the rear of the car, block the tires good, support the car with jack stands.
Put the car in neutral, you can then slowly rotate the drive shaft back and forth, any play in the u-joint will indicate it needs replaced.
If you are lucky the u-joints may have a grease fitting on them, give them a good shot of grease while you are under there.
New u-joints are only like $20.00 bucks a piece.

The sound you are hearing in the motor sounds like you have a miss to me which 95 percent of the time is due to needing a tune up. Everyone swears by certain plugs but if you are on a tight budget just grab some plugs around 2 bucks a piece. Anything cheaper than that are usually junk. Get a cap and rotor and check to make sure the wires are ok and not burned or cracked. If the U joint is bad you don't need an entire driveshaft. The U joint is pressed out and a new one pressed in. There could be a ring and pinion issue, but start with the cheap stuff first. Good luck!

Not.
Ujoints.

A pinion gear bearing that bad would have caused the diff to loose it's oil and fry.

Vibration goes away when you let off the throttle? Then vibrates when you give it gas? Like mentioned above, u-joint. Drop the drive shaft and I feel sure your going to find a stiff (Dry) joint, I would venture to guess the front one.

You always say get a manual to people first,ya they help but what the HELL is FABO for? its all about our hobby and helping each outer out.

No, Snake, I don't always say that, and I think you know that. Very helpful answer by the way. But a factory manual IS important, most especially to someone not familiar with these cars. Furthermore, I've posted SEVERAL times that if "you guys" who have later manuals could post them, it would be a huge help.

1. A quite prominent vibration that comes up during acceleration (higher speeds, why I didn't notice it when test-driving), and goes away when you let off the gas...- CK

I still would check U joints, regardless of opinion. Pull the tires and inspect for bumps, loss of tread, just as a general check. Are all the lug bolts tightened properly? Then PULL the driveshaft. You can not check U joints with the shaft in the car. Pull the two rear caps, inspect for grease and smoothness, and gently move the joint in the shaft, while "feeling" for roughness or smooth action. Move the front one/ slip yoke same way, feeling for roughness, looseness, etc.

Slip the yoke into the trans and feel for side--side movement, to get some idea of the rear bushing.

Try to move the rear axle yoke side-side and wiggle left/ right to get some idea of trouble with pinion bearings. Move the yoke in rotation both directions, feeling for roughness, looseness. This can be VERY subjective, as all rear gears have some slack in the ring/ pinion.

2. Backfiring and chugging, seems like a cyl isn't firing right. Happens under heavier acceleration, but doesn't happen during normal acceleration. After the trip to post, I noticed this didn't go away. The sound was noticeable at the back by the tailpipe. Almost sounded like something in the exhaust was plugged? No noticeable noise under the hood. Sounded like a healthy V8 chugging away. When I got to the back of the car, though, it sounded like it had dual exhaust and one pipe had a potato stuck in it...- CK

First pull the plugs and look them over. Oil / fuel fouled? damaged? Gaps look OK?

Then do a "backyard balance test." You "hear" people speak of "pulling plug wires," but you do NOT want to do this. This is because the spark will "go high" when a plug wire is removed, and cross fire to other cylinders. Not only can this damage the ignition system, but it gives you false results.

So set up to SHORT each cylinder. One way to do this is to work the dist cap boots up, and slide very small thin brads/ nails down beside each plug wire. Hook up a tach or vacuum gauge, or just critically listen to the engine. Get it warmed up and at "best idle." One at a time, short each cylinder, watch the tach and or vacuum, and LISTEN. EVERY cylinder should drop the same amount, and SOUND the same. A lesser or just slight change means something wrong in a cylinder, as does "no" change, which means it's not firing at all.

There could be many causes, including valve problems, worn rings, or problems in the ignition system, bad wire(s), plug(s) and as others mentioned, dirty, wet, carbon tracked cap and rotor.

3. Speedometer doesn't work, starts at 80 and moves up with acceleration. Anyone know any sort of fix for this aside from chucking the speedo? - CK

Do you mean that the speedo is stuck at 80, works OK up to 80? Need more details. Offhand this sounds like a speedo problem, IE not cable or drive gear

speedo gauge light doesn't work. Fuses? Temp gauge doesn't work. Light pullswitch knob is loose, pulls right off... Anyone got an extra light switch and temp gauge from a '76 Duster?- CK

Dashes have a habit of having multiple problems. If it's only the speedo illumination that doesn't work, most likely a couple of burned out bulbs. If NONE of the cluster illuminates, this gets a little deeper. Post back with what lighting does/ does not work, and whether turning the light switch shaft makes them brighter/ dimmer "smoothly"

TEMP GAUGE. Are you sure the FUEL gauge works? They are supplied power by the "voltage limiter" sometimes called by other names, which chops up 12-14V power to effectively 5V. If this device is bad, neither gauge will work. There can be other problems. A quick first check is to unhook the temp sender wire, and clip it to ground. Go in and turn the key to "run." watching the gauge. It should very quickly move to "hot." Don't leave the key on any longer than needed to test.

SWITCH KNOB. Someone probably didn't know the "trick." Normally, your remove the knob AND SHAFT as a unit. Unhook the battery ground, pull the shaft all the way out to "headlights," and reach up under. There's a button on the switch which mechanically releases the shaft. Pull the shaft out. Then you can JB weld (epoxy) the knob back onto the shaft.

headlampswitchknob.jpg

Also, does anyone happen to have even an idiot book for this car? Hate not having one of those.- CK

You can download the 72 factory shop manual from this link. There ARE differences in your car, and only use the wiring diagrams as a rough guide. Most of the mechanical "stuff" is the same.

You can thank AbodyJoe for this

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf[/ame]

The temp gauge does not change, it stays on the "off" setting no matter how warm the car gets. The fuel gauge works as far as I know. I got it on E, put 10 bucks in and it went up a notch. Haven't filled the tank, in case I need to drop it.

The speedo stops at 80, and it goes up with speed... I know I could pop it open and pull the needle and set it at 0, but I still wouldn't trust it. Dunno why. Might give it a try and then have a friend pace me with his car... Better than buying a new speedo...

I have a feeling the Cat may be plugged. I ran it today after putting a new air filter on (haven't had time to do any more to it), and noticed the exhaust is shooting black soot... Not smoke, soot. :S All the fluids are separated (no gas/oil/coolant in any of each other), so I doubt it's an internal problem such as bad rings or blown head gasket... Thinking (and hoping) it's just a case of a stopped-up cat...

Will report back with more info the further I get. I picked up everything for the ignition system from plug to distro (new cap and rotor). Wires look quite good on it, though.

Thanks once again for the info!
- CK

P.s. About the service manual and FABO: FABO experts such as 67dart273 are a great help in teaching us newbies the ins and outs of engines we've never played with, and a shop manual shows you exactly where/what everything is. I have a plan to get a shop manual, as having both is better than just having one.

"I have a feeling the Cat may be plugged. I ran it today after putting a new air filter on (haven't had time to do any more to it), and noticed the exhaust is shooting black soot... Not smoke, soot."

Theres the reason for the miss. (Way rich for some reason)
I suspected something like that when you said the miss was worse after you drove it for awhile.
These cars don't have a cat.

OK, as I said, ground the temp sender wire and see what it does. MAKE SURE you are satisfied that the fuel gauge works

Assuming the fuel gauge is OK, your top suspects with the temp gauge are:

Bad sender, easily found by the "short the wire" test.

Broken wire inside the temp sender terminal

Bad connection in the bulkhead connector

Loose/ corroded nuts on the temp gauge

Of course could be the gauge.

These cars don't have a cat.
'76. Too late to be smog-exempt.... Also, if it wasn't factory, someone installed one. There's a cat under my car, and I didn't run it over..... ;)

Also, I pulled the car under a street light and started tinkering away. Headlight replaced, 7/8 spark plugs replaced (one came broken, gonna take it back to Pep Boys tomorrow). Also, I may have found both sources of one miss: Estimating that the piston numbering goes:
(Radiator)
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

#5 was unplugged.... Strangely enough, ALL plugs were fouled to hell and back with thick black soot, and worse #7 was so fouled it was making contact and thus not giving spark. Plugged 5 back in and replaced all except 1 (figured since it was the least f'd up, I could run with it for now). Strangely, she's still wanting to miss, but she's LOVING the new plugs! I'm betting a cap, rotor, and wires (didn't want to do it under street light only conditions) will help solve the problem.... Also, 5 and 7 are a BBBEEEAAAACCCCHHHH thanks to a well-placed brake master cylinder and a HORRIBLY-designed exhaust manifold. Damned Chrysler...... But then again, if it was 100% perfect, then Novas and Mavericks wouldn't have sold at all and EVERYONE would have a Duster and then they'd be nothing special....

The shaking under acceleration is almost completely gone, no idea why. It just decided to go away, apparently..... o.O

Also, I had a slight whine in the trans when I picked it up. I dropped in a little bit of this LucasOil transmission stuff I snagged from the parking lot of another barracks 6+ months ago, and the whine went away.

I think she just likes being tinkered with!

- CK

Sorry if I repeat what has been said. Check the choke and float level. It may be not opening causing the plugs to foul ut. Same with the float level. It may be too high and dripping fuel down the intake when it's not needed. Dash lights/Gauges. Fuse first. If it's good, the pins may be broken on the back of the dash cluster, or as simple as the harness not plugged in. Same with the speedo. It might not be plugged completely into the housing, or the clip at the cluster is broke. I recently replaced my headlight switch and speedo cable, and got the parts from Rockauto for under $40.00 shipped to my door. You may be able to purchase locally for the same price or cheaper, and many auto stores offer a Military discount.
Good luck!

Well there's the problem! Cyls 5 and 7 were wrong on the distro! I noticed it when I was putting on the new cap. Funny how that "FIRING ORDER" thing molded onto the intake manifold coincides with the cylinder the next wire goes to.

No more running problems! She's as smooth as the day she rolled off the lot, and just as snappy! I now have to break myself of the newly-forming habit of leaving dirty patches everywhere. X)

Now it's just the speedo and speedo lights. Have yet to get up under the dash, but it seems to be all SNAFU'd under there. Also, the speedo now rests at 100. I think the speedo is done for...

- CK

Sounds like you're Speedo is slipping teeth pull the cable check it and the in side of Speedo might just need a new cable mine was doing the same thing new cable and it works great now

-
Back