New combo looking for some input.

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 69 340-1 .30 over with flat-tops static compression of approx. 10.75:1 stock 69 "X" heads with minor porting work on the intake side and gasket matched to the intake. The intake is a Holley single plane "Strip Dominator" The cam shaft is Comp cams Flat tappet (20-618-5) .540 .540 lift and duration at .050 is 255 LSA is 106. 4000rpm stall with 727 trans. Going to run 4:10s in the tail. This combo is going in a 72 A-body I was planning on running a Mighty Demon 750cfm. Any input on this carb would be great, I have not bought a carb yet but I found a good deal on a local classified site. My vision is a high revving small block (7200rpm) for Saturday night abuse. I should mention the valve train is all Hughes engines components. Any one running a Demon 750 carb?

Demons can be hit or miss. They are a very good carb - but there were a LOT of production issues with crap in them from the factory, and I've found issues within the billet metering blocks where they had left "tabs" when some of the tiny holes were drilled and the carbs were permanently lean until you wen tthrough and finished deburring all the holes. Personally I don;t use them because you can get a good one, or a bad one, and unless you start taking it all apart you don't know. A holley you know it needs a power valve and jets and it's good.

After buying 2 Demons & not being able to get them to run right(with lots of tuning), I sold them both & bought a Quick Fuel & never looked back. I also had a ProForm in the past that worked outstanding also. I personally would never buy a Demon again!

I have had a 650 road demon.750 speed demon and am now running a 825 mighty demon.Have liked them all.I am no Pro. racer but found them easy to work on and tune,Kevin.

Heard about the early horror stories of Demons.Tried a 750 Speed Demon,in place of my old 750 Double pumper.O.K. ,not any more responsive. Have a Quick Fuel now,nice piece.A basic Holley works well,4 corner idle will help tuning a bit easier.Nice find,on that 340.

-
Back