new dart owner needing help.

-

prestigue

318v6
Reaction score
hello all my name is Dwayne from western Nebraska. I have been a die hard Chevy owner/builder for 15 years. Before I start let me say thank you all for the info I have already learned and read. it helped me to decide to purchase my first mopar this weekend. here is the story. I just finished building a chevy 412 stroker engine. took me two years of computer sims, and machine work to build. wanted max power, dependablity, low cost....ok so I got the first two. engine ended being way over budget. I have no car for the engine, so I start searching ebay for a car. a Chevy none the less. when out of the blue, 80 miles from my house is a 1972 Dart Swinger. 318 auto. I decide what the heck, I am passing there anyway, so I stop.....that is where the fun begins....instead of finding an old chevy...I come home with a dodge. Body wise it is in very good shape. has a 2" by 2" rust hole behind the pass rear wheel. and some of the filler is falling out of the seam on the sail panel. no other bondo, rust, or dents. interior is flawless. I gave the kid 1600 for the thing and came dragging it home. now the problems start. the engine blows a ton of smoke, and has a dead miss. I check all other things (trying to have faith) with no avail. then I try a compression check. 142-146 on 6 cly. #2 has 41 and #8 has 35 I add a squirt of oil and up it comes to around 100 on both. so I have 2 cyl with bad rings. here is the funny part. with 2 bad holes the car is still quick. takes no effort to smoke off the rear tires...I found today that the car has a 8.75 rear with a spool (I guess the 8.75 to be a better one from reading here) and posi is fun. here is my problem I live way out in the sticks and can find no replacemet engine. I can overhaul, but the wife is gonna kill me for having a 5k motor in the garage, with no car and needing to spend that much on building the dodge. I made the mistake of "love at first sight" with this car, and dont plan on selling it. what would you all do. been trying to sell the chevy motor to some racer, but again living in the sticks is a pain. and after the chevy motor build and the 1600 given for the car, we are tight. But with the felt power of this car running on 6 cyl, if I ever get 8 to work, I may never buy a chevy again....
thumbs.gif

BTW does anyone close to here have a 318 good runner for sale?

Sorry to hear about you catching the Mopar disease lol. Hopelessly addicted like the rest of us. To keep your costs down, probably the easiest thing would be to find a good running 318 or 360 which are plentiful (and usually cheap at a wreckers), and just swap her out. At least you can enjoy the extra two cylinders immediately.

PS. No more "posi", you got a Sure-Grip..

Welcome

Grant

A runable 318 or 360 shouldn't be too hard to find. How far are you from Cheyenne or Ft Collins?

An 8.75 in a 72 Swinger with an auto? It's possible if the car was ordered with the Sure-Grip (POSI is a GM term, use it and you will be mocked). If it is factory it probably has 3.23 gears or perhaps 3.55's. I would guess it's a car ordered with a towing package. As for the spool?!?

There has got to be somebody on eBay who will give you lots of cash for the Chevy engine. Just don't ask us how to put one in a Dart...

Pictures, please. Sounds like you got an excellent deal on the car. Where are you at in western Nebraska? I live in South Dakota & my mother lives in Nebraska. Sometimes we vacation in western South Dakota & I have a brother & sister who live in Colorado. Maybe we'll cross paths some day.

f_dartm_64df5b3.jpg

ok there she is. I will get better pics in a few days. thank you all for the Posi thing. Like I said this is all new to me now. Will do better in the future. :glasses8: Was not even gonna ask how to put that motor in this car...thought that would get me a kickin that I would not soon forget. besides that, it would kinda ruin the whole "I own a Mopar" thing. :mrgreen: BTW I live about 2 hours from Cheyenne, and about the same from Fort Collins. I spent all day looking today in the area for a running motor, but all I found was rebuilders. Guess this is gonna be harder than I thought. thanks all again.

f_dartm_64df5b3.jpg

f_dartm_64df5b3.jpg

I drove through Cheyenne at 70 mph in 2005. Looked like a nice place from my Dart.
No time to stop. I was trying to get from Seattle to Georgia before the snow hit.
Made my day to hear that you have converted.
And that you got a good deal!
That rear end is worth half what you paid for the car, maybe.
I’m going to have 700 dollars in one once I buy the big bolt pattern axels from Moser.
(You’ll find out about big and small bolt patterns.)

This explains why your rear end is better than a Ford.
http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/axle/1.html

You will find good people in Mopars.
You have already met some on this thread
Very knowledgeable and helpful.
Does your car have a four-barrel? If not and you go to one, be aware that the kick down has to be correct for the Torqueflight to work properly.
A good stock 318 or 360 will give you a bulletproof car to have fun in.
Shouldn’t cost you hardly anything.
The secret of A-bodies.

Hey welcome to site,dont know how close to Chadron u r but there is a big mopar salvage yard there. A guy that lives 40 miles south of me in Viborg SD,his dad ran the salvage yard in Chadron havent talked to him in 4 or 5 years so dont know for sure if its still there,he was moving alot of stuff up here at that time. Good luck.

hi, that is a nice dart!i live in topeka ks,i was just in neb to buy a 69 c/20.i might be able to help with motor give me a couple days.

Did the same thing...had a hot chevy engine, 2 of them actually, sitting in the garage and bought a Mopar...managed to sell one, the used one, but the new 355 still sits in the corner unassembled and I'm looking to buy a 360...mama ain't real happy.

Dave

Looks like a nice find! Try this website for an engine: www.car-part.com
You can specify a lot of parameters in your search...
Good luck with it.
C

-
Back