NEW DRIP RAIL MOLDINGS

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
The guy im doing the 71 demon for bought new drip rail moldings for it. Has anyone ever bought & installed new ones before ? I can tell ya i never had an issue installing the originals but the new aftermarket ones were a pain in the ***. The shape isnt all that right. More so on the back half sections.

i bought the AMD drip rail moldings, i havent taken them out of the box yet... i was hoping for an easy install....they are for my 73 Duster... im not surprised to hear that though..after market quality.......Rich
BTW.. beautiful job on that Demon

The guy I sold the brown Duster to bought a new set. After trying he folded them in half and came for the originals I saved. What I can tell you is vinyl top cars are different the non vinyl. Vivyl top molding have green marker in the back side.

DSCN0381.JPG

DSCN0382 (2).JPG

DSCN0391.JPG

DSCN0392.JPG

DSCN0394.JPG

DSCN0396.JPG

Does anyone make good reproductions of these? I need a set for my 73 Duster. Should I try to find good originals? I just figured AMD pieces were a good set to get, but now I don't know.

AMD does, but I'm not sure if the install is difficult or not. I used their Windshield trim on my 74 Duster , and it was every nice

Find originals . There is a trick to taking them off. I use a paint stick and a channel locks. If your not worried about the car just use a channel locks like a can opener. Slowly work your way from back to front. I just took them off this Demon to replace the quarters that way. They will be reused.

100_0142.JPG

I would bet the new ones are like the originals before they were ever installed on a car - they fit tight in place. Then the car gets driven for 50 years and they lose tension and then you release even more spring when to pry them off (this is true in spades for a vinyl top car), so when you put them back on it's real easy. When I put them on sometimes I have to bend them in a little bit or they move around on the drip rail.

The box they came in said 521 restoration. Not sure where they get them from. When it comes to the original ones they go on about the same. Its the shape of the new ones that made it a pain.

i bought the AMD drip rail moldings, i havent taken them out of the box yet... i was hoping for an easy install....they are for my 73 Duster... im not surprised to hear that though..after market quality.......Rich
BTW.. beautiful job on that Demon
Thanks i got some more pics to post on it later.

The box they came in said 521 restoration. Not sure where they get them from. When it comes to the original ones they go on about the same. Its the shape of the new ones that made it a pain.
I think 521 Restorations has good stuff. I am getting their rear window pop out latches & they look like nice pieces, even have the Chrysler logo on them. The Duster I bought recently came from Milton, Pa. WAYNEO. Cool little town. Maybe you know limegreen70 from this site sold it to me. Needs a lot of sheet metal work, but a good solid car for the most part, & a good price. (Was a 3 hour drive one way though)

I think 521 Restorations has good stuff. I am getting their rear window pop out latches & they look like nice pieces, even have the Chrysler logo on them. The Duster I bought recently came from Milton, Pa. WAYNEO. Cool little town. Maybe you know limegreen70 from this site sold it to me. Needs a lot of sheet metal work, but a good solid car for the most part, & a good price. (Was a 3 hour drive one way though)
yep i know him his dad & i were really good friends

I thought the drip rail, windshield & backlight trim was different for vinyl top cars. At least the drip rail molding, weren't they a little wider for the vinyl?

Green car or green vinyl top. Same trim.
Black car or black vinyl top , Color doesn't mean ****. Trim is different for vinyl that I have seen. Vinyl trim has a green marker the length of the trim on the rear of the trim. It is wider for the vinyl. I would imagine thin reproductions can be stretched to fit.. The trim the buyer of my brown Duster bought did not fit correctly . It was a non vinyl car. I ended up putting original trim on the car for him.

100_0430.JPG

100_0146 (2).JPG

521 Restorations sells AMD Products

Vinyl top trim and painted top trim are definitely different widths. I haven't measured A bodies, but I'd suspect at least the same approximately 25thou wider for vinyl.

Painted B body trim overall width is 0.5095 to 0.5135" in width range.
Vinyl Top trim overall width ranges from 0.5355 to 0.5400"

-
Back