New Edelbrock carb

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Anyone tried or heard any reviews about the new Edelbrock AVS2 carbs? I'm thinking about dropping down to a 500cfm carb next Spring on my 318, thinking it might be more efficient. Currently have a 600 Quick fuel, motors about 250hp.

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than to thank you for making me aware of these new carbs. I just use my car on the street because I'm lame and not cool like drag racers and I've had excellent luck with Edelbrock carbs. This looks very promising. Again, thank you!

I don't have anything to add to this thread other than to thank you for making me aware of these new carbs. I just use my car on the street because I'm lame and not cool like drag racers and I've had excellent luck with Edelbrock carbs. This looks very promising. Again, thank you!

Talked to a local carb shop that that tried the 650 and they loved it. The 500 isn't out yet but should be in a few months (I've been told). I'll check them out next spring.

Looks pretty much like the same AVS carb, except it has the annular boosters.
Looks like a great idea. Now they need to make the boosters like this, for the older Ede carbs.

Looks pretty much like the same AVS carb, except it has the annular boosters.
Looks like a great idea. Now they need to make the boosters like this, for the older Ede carbs.
It would be awesome IF they simply made replacement s parts for the carbs instead of searching classifieds and swap meets for parts carbs.

It would be awesome IF they simply made replacement s parts for the carbs instead of searching classifieds and swap meets for parts carbs.

Ha, that's pretty much what I did.
I was at the local yard and saw a 1406 electric choke that looked like new.
I moved the linkage and it shot fuel that smelled fresh, so I went up front to the desk and asked what they charged for carbs and they said $40.
Any carb is $40? and they said yes.
I immediately went back and pulled it and the chrome air cleaner on it.
$50 bucks total.

Then one of my friends had a 1406 calibration kit he didn't need and gave that to me for switching his 454 from points to the large cap HEI for him.

A few months later I found another 1406 complete on CL for $100 for my neighbors Pontiac.
His existing carb was a super old Q jet with no choke or hi idle and barely any linkage on it besides the throttle plate shaft.
I would hear him out there on cold mornings starting that thing over and over and revving the heck out of it to try and keep it running.
He bitched a little about the 100 bucks till I told him what they cost new, and he started driving it with a working choke and hi idle system.
He got it then.:D

Looks like a good design. Thanks for the info GTXdude.

I seen some footage from Sema and they were showing these and I checked on the edelbrock site as well as summit and there was nothing. I'm wanting to buy the 800 AVS 2 for the 408 build. The 650 that I run on the 318 is a pearler . It runs so well with this carb

Last edited:
Of course they would make an"enhanced" version of a carburetor that they already make, INSTEAD of bringing back the TQ. Dammit all.

An enhanced TQ would be awesome. I’d like to see changeable air bleeds & big cfm versions.

I seen some footage from Sema and they were showing these and I checked on the edelbrock site as well as summit and there was nothing. I'm wanting to buy the 850 AVS 2 for the 408 build. The 650 that I run on the 318 is a pearler . It runs so well with this carb
How built up is your 318? I'm thinking the 650 is more then I need for my 250hp 318. I'd love to hear your engine numbers before I make a decision next Spring. Thanks

Well gtxdude you did ask... block is 40 up bores finished off with torque plate zeroed deck, line hone, KBs 167 pistons, Scat rods , Cast crank rotating assembly been balanced with full groove main bearings,Windage tray was added. Pump is a Mellings std with MP oil relief spring , MP distributor -oil pump harden shaft, comp cams 2 row timing chain with MP chain tensioner. Camshaft is a comp cams 268S solid flat tappet - specs are Duration @ 50 230-236, lift In 0.488 - Ex 0.501. Add 30 to those lift numbers due to 1.6 rockers !

Lifters are the comps AMC type with oil through, push rods are comps 5/16 chrome moly ,Heads are EQ magnums 62cc with the LA bolt pattern which have been bowl ported valves are MP SS 8mm stems 192-162 valves. springs are single with dampeners. Rockers are Crane Gold 1.6 with Jomar rocker stud girdle. Manifold is a Edelbrock performer duel plane which has been gasket matched to suit. Distributor is one of those Chinese HEI units 2 wire jobs which has been curved to suit and must say it has been super reliable. 9mm leads. Carburettor is a Edelbrock 650 AVS which has been set up with main jets 0.98 metering rods .068 x .047 which is 2 stages richer. Accer/ pump set @ centre hole. Exhaust - Dougs 453 with 2 1/2 with H pipe, mufflers Dyno max super turbos.

BM flex plate , convertor is custom 2500 with snout which has been modified( larger) due to std type crack at the step pump has been machined to suit ,Transgo kit 2. Raybestos reds plates Alto steels , extra plate in front hub. Bands are the wide Kevlar type , Bolt in sprag and some other mods done to keep line pressure up. Tail shaft has been balanced rear end is a Borg Warner 78 out of our fords which is a 4 pinion 28 spline 3.45 LSD disc brake. Good road manners Idles @ 700-750 in gear with some lope . Very Responsive ,cruising is great, no burning eyes if your standing behind it. Don't know hp but it would be in the mid 300s at least butt dyno ! Well you did ask !!!
Rear tyres 26.58 MT 15/65/245 front - 15/60/205

Of course they would make an"enhanced" version of a carburetor that they already make, INSTEAD of bringing back the TQ. Dammit all.

An enhanced TQ would be awesome. I’d like to see changeable air bleeds & big cfm versions.

Holley is still making the Demon, aren't they? Its a lot closer to a TQ than nothing at all

upload_2017-11-30_9-31-5.png

Don’t know much about the avs2 but I ran the thunder series avs on my 360 for years and it ran great. Picked up 4 mph when I switched to a Holley 750 dp at the track but the edelbrock was my go to for the street.

Don’t know much about the avs2 but I ran the thunder series avs on my 360 for years and it ran great. Picked up 4 mph when I switched to a Holley 750 dp at the track but the edelbrock was my go to for the street.
Waiting on these to come out which looks like next year but I don't know when ???. I had the 600 on it first which ran well but I couldn't get enough fuel through it no matter what I did and plug tips were always lean looking (very light grey to white) which never sat well with me but when I purchased the 650 avs it ran well out the box but needed a jet and needle change to richen it up slightly ,plugs are a grey to tan on the tips. Great street carb and very easy to work on. Doogie I have no experience with Holleys !

Cool... >It takes time , .. to tune anything. If it works for you , sweet.

Agreement ,on the original T .Q. Carter carb , it makes more sense than ever ,anymore. And I am, a hardcore Holley dude.

Holley is still making the Demon, aren't they? Its a lot closer to a TQ than nothing at all

View attachment 1715116559
Yes indeed they are and for a replacement TQ it looks good. As for myself, my (piddly) complaint is that I don’t like the google valve. I do like the AFB like rod access. I need to get one of these in my hands. Here is the page. FWIW
Demon 1904 750 CFM Street Demon Carburetor
Agreement ,on the original T .Q. Carter carb, it makes more sense than ever ,anymore. And I am, a hardcore Holley dude.
What ever carb rocks your boat! I don’t (and I know your not) bust balls on what ever someone runs.

I just got a 650 AVS electric choke from Summit. I will be doing a carb, intake and exhaust swap on my 340 dart sport in the next few weeks...as soon as time permits.
The old thermoquad runs decent but has a flat spot off idle and it likes to leak gas down the intake after shutdown. This new AVS should bring it back to life.

I get all the spare parts for my Edelbrock at the local speed shop and they also have parts on ebay????

I get all the spare parts for my Edelbrock at the local speed shop and they also have parts on ebay????
You can get what you need from there. Great. Let me know when you can get individual boosters and secondary weighted doors new. Screw those up and nobody sells them new, nobody. Edelbrock won’t do it.

-
Back