New find.

-
No they did not. But also too, we're not sure what those rockers are yet, either. Remember, several companies in the aftermarket made rocker similar to the 273 rockers, so they may be somebody's matched set. Who knows?
What is the best way to determine if they are factory or aftermarket? Is there any major markings or differences to look for?

What is the best way to determine if they are factory or aftermarket? Is there any major markings or differences to look for?
The factory rockers had a single adjuster nut. All others had a 2 piece adjuster with a lock nut.

The factory rockers had a single adjuster nut. All others had a 2 piece adjuster with a lock nut.

Yup. I was lookin at that too.

Regardless, Kevin, I think this is a really good score. WHY would there be FAT dual springs? For a big cam. WHY would there be head studs? For high compression. It screams old school cool. Get that beeotch torn down so we can see it too. lol

Yup. I was lookin at that too.

Regardless, Kevin, I think this is a really good score. WHY would there be FAT dual springs? For a big cam. WHY would there be head studs? For high compression. It screams old school cool. Get that beeotch torn down so we can see it too. lol
Yep,
It smells of stock car. I bought a 408 a few years ago for $500. Stock car engine.

I'm thinking it's super or modified stock dirt track build. Something with a thinner rule book than what is used on the average asphalt track. Seems like there's even a dirt track fairly close to where your at...

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's super or modified stock dirt track build. Something with a thinner rule book than what is used on the average asphalt track. Seems like there's even a dirt track fairly close to where your at...
Yes there is ! Actually there is a dirt track less than a half a mile from where I bought it from. Lol

Yes it does. Smells purdy strong too. lol
IIRC those dirt track cars have like 300+ duration cams. They are made to rev and stay reved for a while.

Looked at the block a little closer this evening after work its dated 78. 10 2 78 to be exact. I still can't find anything on the heads i see a few symbols but and a 15h but no casting numbers

Those are Crane ductile iron rockers or maybe mopar with crane springs .. Nice score

The guy messaged me today and said he had another 360 block and a extra set of heads for 50 bucks so im going back this evening to get them too. He also said we would talk more about the barracuda.

Thanks man. I am tickled about it. It's crazy what is out there hidden in plan sight. I drive by there almost everyday and never knew what was in the garage.

The guy messaged me today and said he had another 360 block and a extra set of heads for 50 bucks so im going back this evening to get them too. He also said we would talk more about the barracuda.

That’s an amazing find... $50 is a no brainer. Good luck with the Barracuda! Sounds like if he parts with it, it won’t be for some crazy, “I know what I got” price. I’ve been looking high and low locally for deals, but there’s nothing around me. I’m hoping for a lucky find next weekend at our monthly vintage car swap meet.

Update. I went and picked up the other 360. Its also a 78 with a set of 596 heads, crank cam and rockers. No main caps but for 50 bucks I couldn't complain. We also made a deal on the cuda! Im so dang excited. I can't believe that a 100 dollar 360 Facebook add lead me to another barracuda! Barracudas are my dream car my favorite above all others. I love them all even the other none mopar brands but barracudas especially e bodies have always been my dream. I had one and had to sell it and with the market just assumed id never have another one. But 13 years later it appears I'm gonna have one. Its a 74 I don't know much about It . Its rough and striped i do know that. Its basically just a shell. A rusty shell at that. But he is including all the sheetmetal he has collected which is floors trunk quarters and a roof. He is leaving Tuesday so the plan is im gonna go over Monday morning and we are gonna collect all the parts and im gonna pay him half. Then im gonna go to north Carolina and pick up the car at a later date and pay his brother the other half.

That’s an amazing find... $50 is a no brainer. Good luck with the Barracuda! Sounds like if he parts with it, it won’t be for some crazy, “I know what I got” price. I’ve been looking high and low locally for deals, but there’s nothing around me. I’m hoping for a lucky find next weekend at our monthly vintage car swap meet.
This guy is a true "just loves mopars" guy he told me he is moving to New Mexico and knows he won't be able to come back for them and there just gonna set there and rot and he would rather take a loss than let them rot. He has 2 73 cudas that he is taking with him so he has his hands full. He also told me his health is not so great and he wants to get all his stuff a good home while he can. I can honestly tell this guy isn't about profit. I picked up that block today for 50 bucks and he threw in 150 dollars worth of free stuff!

This guy is a true "just loves mopars" guy he told me he is moving to New Mexico and knows he won't be able to come back for them and there just gonna set there and rot and he would rather take a loss than let them rot. He has 2 73 cudas that he is taking with him so he has his hands full. He also told me his health is not so great and he wants to get all his stuff a good home while he can. I can honestly tell this guy isn't about profit. I picked up that block today for 50 bucks and he threw in 150 dollars worth of free stuff!

That’s pretty rad... Congratulations on the new ride! Sounds like it’s going to be an adventure getting it back on the road.

I found a engine on FB marketplace for 125 bucks so I thought what the heck the block is worth that. So I went and picked it up after work today. Its dark and I'm tired so I didn't look at it a whole lot but im excited about it. The block is most definitely a 360 I haven't tried to date it yet. The heads idk what they are I can't find any casting numbers. It's most definitely been built tho it has new valves, new springs, positive valve seals, arp head studs and 273 adjustable rockers! Its been setting a while it has quite a bit of surface rust but whoever did it had enough sense to back off the rockers so all the valves are closed im hoping the cylinder walls are still fresh. It has a 68/69 340 4bbl intake and the early 68 340 valve covers (i believe) it is a flat tappet cam (i was hoping it was a roller block) i looked into the dissy hole and it appears that it was built and never started there is still break in lube all over the lobes lifters and intermediate gear. I got really excited when I saw the cupped pushrods I knew it had thr adjustable pushrods then. I can't wait to get the heads off and see what the inside looks like and see what heads they are. Be cool if it had some 202 valves in it. And there is more to the story. The guy that sold it to me is a big mopar guy he had all kinds of stuff including two barracudas in his driveway. He said they wasn't for sale but he has 2 more one cuda one challenger that are for sale. He said the cuda is rough but he gave me a hell of a price. Im gonna try and buy it too. The only catch is he is moving to New Mexico and the car is in North Carolina. But where gonna try and work something out.

View attachment 1715706180

View attachment 1715706181

View attachment 1715706182

View attachment 1715706183

View attachment 1715706184

View attachment 1715706185

View attachment 1715706186

View attachment 1715706187

View attachment 1715706188

View attachment 1715706189
What a great find I’m getting ready to pay 300 for a bone stock 318 from the 80’s that supposedly runs

I found a engine on FB marketplace for 125 bucks so I thought what the heck the block is worth that. So I went and picked it up after work today. Its dark and I'm tired so I didn't look at it a whole lot but im excited about it. The block is most definitely a 360 I haven't tried to date it yet. The heads idk what they are I can't find any casting numbers. It's most definitely been built tho it has new valves, new springs, positive valve seals, arp head studs and 273 adjustable rockers! Its been setting a while it has quite a bit of surface rust but whoever did it had enough sense to back off the rockers so all the valves are closed im hoping the cylinder walls are still fresh. It has a 68/69 340 4bbl intake and the early 68 340 valve covers (i believe) it is a flat tappet cam (i was hoping it was a roller block) i looked into the dissy hole and it appears that it was built and never started there is still break in lube all over the lobes lifters and intermediate gear. I got really excited when I saw the cupped pushrods I knew it had thr adjustable pushrods then. I can't wait to get the heads off and see what the inside looks like and see what heads they are. Be cool if it had some 202 valves in it. And there is more to the story. The guy that sold it to me is a big mopar guy he had all kinds of stuff including two barracudas in his driveway. He said they wasn't for sale but he has 2 more one cuda one challenger that are for sale. He said the cuda is rough but he gave me a hell of a price. Im gonna try and buy it too. The only catch is he is moving to New Mexico and the car is in North Carolina. But where gonna try and work something out.

good deal!

I started a separate thread but I want to keep this one going..I dug into the motor and I found out that I have some speed pro h405cp pistons, some j heads and a solid cam. Im not sure on the specs on the cam. My plan is to clean up the short block and use it as is, build the heads, do a valve job, new valves, port, mill etc. I think it will be a pretty stout fun street engine.

20210316_211621.jpg

20210316_211626.jpg

20210316_211631.jpg

20210316_211646.jpg

20210316_211640.jpg

20210317_204710.jpg

20210317_204725.jpg

20210317_204730.jpg

20210317_204735.jpg

Nice find

Nice score! One thing I see I would change already is toss the rocker springs in the ditch. That's big block stuff. The small block rockers use solid spacers. But man, what a nice score! I wanna see a head casting number!

Why , do they not work w/ the solid spacers holding the alignment against the stands ? gen 2 hemi`s all had the springs , I had decided , if I ever have to pull my heads , I`d do the springs while leaving the solid spacers between the rockers and stands . I think old kimmer said that he has a set of big block heads that way.---------------???did I miss something ?

I started a separate thread but I want to keep this one going..I dug into the motor and I found out that I have some speed pro h405cp pistons, some j heads and a solid cam. Im not sure on the specs on the cam. My plan is to clean up the short block and use it as is, build the heads, do a valve job, new valves, port, mill etc. I think it will be a pretty stout fun street engine.

View attachment 1715715518

View attachment 1715715519

View attachment 1715715520

View attachment 1715715521

View attachment 1715715522

View attachment 1715715523

View attachment 1715715524

View attachment 1715715525

View attachment 1715715526

Dam , why dont I ever run into something like this !!?/ wating for a deal on a 426 hemi !-------lol , not holding my breath .

-
Back