New Fuel Tank / Seal yet massive Leak after filling my Tank

-

SouthernDart

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I finally took my 75 RestoMod for its first Gas Station "Filler Up Please" and discovered before starting the car to leave I had a massive leak from the Filler-Tube/Seal/Tank.

When placing the Seal it appeared to be doing the job correctly (Snug Fit), but now I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any experiences or recommendations before I spend my Saturday dealing with this annoying problem thats keeping me from discovering other issues I need to tackle! ;)

Thanks in advance !

DSC_2201.JPG

Have you confirmed, is it leaking from the fill tube grommet or the sender area?

Incorrect seal. Seal not seated properly in tank. Seal damaged during install.

And maybe, fill tube not installed at correct angle ??
I`d go w/ this ^^^^. Try loosening the tank straps and wiggle the tank around to see if u can feel for the best fitting position for it. U did lubricate the filltube and the rubber seal when installing it didn`t you? Of course u cold have bad rubber , but I doubt it, if u bought one specifically for ur car.!

For what its worth, the seal should have been a very tight fit to the tube, quite difficult to assemble. There was a rash of problems reported during a period, couple years ago. Poor quality/fit seals, from ebay vendors I think.

So first you need to make absolutely sure it's coming from the filler neck grommet and not a small hole/crack somewhere in the filler neck.

Assuming it is the seal this unfortunately is a common story. There's an abundance of bad filler neck grommets out there, some are hard like plastic and impossible to assemble also. It's a joke.

I checked my ebay history and the one I purchased last year, which has worked perfect thus far, is no longer sold by the seller. It does look like this one however, and this seller, Inline Tube, is reputable:

MOPAR 64-74 A B E C BODY Fuel Gas Tank Filler Neck Tube Rubber Grommet Seal 1pc | eBay

Just note that before installing the filler neck you should make sure the end is smooth so it doesn't tear up the grommet during installation. Use sandpaper or scotch-brite to make it smooth on the end. Then coat it in some grease or silicone before installation.

I had this exact problem with my Dart when I finally put it on the street after my build. It turned out that when the filler neck was pushed into the tank, through the seal, it pinched and split the bottom of the seal leaving essentially a nice size hole for gas to pour out of. I eventually pulled the neck and old seal out and installed a new seal. The trick to getting the new seal into the tank is to boil the grommet for a few minutes first and then it should pop right in the tank. Then take a generous amount of dielectric grease and lube up the outside of the seal and the filler neck should push right through without resistance.

-
Back