new guage

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
I am replacing the old fuel gauge with a new Equus fuel gauge in my 76 Dart Sport. I found the blue wire coming from the sending unit, it goes to a connector by the kick panel, on the driver's side and from there to the old fuel gauge. There is a cluster at the gauge with at least 10 wires. My question is:after the connector the blue wire changes gauge(becomes smaller), is this the correct wire, is it safe to assume it is? Should I just cut it there and splice to the new gauge? (I am replacing the old gauge with a new one because the old one stopped working)

(I am replacing the old gauge with a new one because the old one stopped working)

Don't replace the old one. I had the same thing happen and many dodges have the same problem. As long as the fuel sending unit is working the problem will lye in the voltage limiter, it is on the rear of the cluster and drops the voltage down for the gas gauge and temp gauge. If you don't replace it you will likely burn out the temp gauge even though you've disconnected the wire to the gas gauge. My problem was a combination of loose gauges and bad limiter. I order the plug n play one below. Do a search here on the voltage limiter and you'll see its your problem.

http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_ABlimiter

I changed the engine from /6 to 360 so the temp gauge was replaced, the fuel gauge is bought and almost installed but not hooked up yet so it is too late for the process to be reversed. Replacing is the only option, just hoping that the sending unit is ok.

Those Equuis gauges are not the greatest, you will find the the fuel gauge will fluctuate, more so when the fuel sloshes around in the tank.
Anyway if your going to do it I would splice the gauge somewhere around by the kick panel, and leave the remaining blue wire behind the panel so if you want to use it again to return stock you can. It will be dead anyway.
Did you check to make sure the sender is working ok/
AL

The gauge of the wire changed because the type of terminal changed. Gauge of wire in that line wont make a difference.

The car was finally out for the year just 1 1/2 week ago and the gauge works great! At least now I have a fuel gauge which I did not have before.

-
Back