New guy with an old car

-

sdavis

Reaction score
I've been poking around the forums here for a few weeks now, and then finally last sunday I bought my first mopar worthy of restoring. I had a 70 /6 duster and a 76 duster (still have) with home made v8 conversion, both of which were too far gone to save.

But now I'm the proud new owner of a 74 dart sport with a 360 and factory 4 speed. It also has power steering, power brakes with disk up front, 8.25 rear with 3.21 gears. The body appears to be in pretty good shape until you get underneath. most of it looks rusty under there but isn't too bad except for the front driver's and passenger's floors and the wheel well.

One of the main selling points for this car was the engine that has never been installed/broke in. It's a 360 bored .060, flat top pistons, purple cam .848, air gap intake, headers, and I believe a little head work has been done. Car came with a new holley 750 double pumper, new fuel pump, new clutch kit. the valve covers and intake were never bolted on, just sitting there. The engine work was done about 5 years ago and then left to set in their shed.

I've spent my spare time this week getting this thing ready to stab in the car, picking up little odds and ends, and trying to figure out the 4 speed linkage. I hope to get the engine in soon and see how everything is going to work out before I really start sinking money into it. I will get pictures of the car as soon as I can, but in the mean time here's a picture of the engine to hold you guys over.

engine.jpg

Welcome, sounds like a score. I've always had good luck with the 360s, but you don't see enough of them in Darts.

Welcome to the best Mopar site on the net! The Dart Sport sounds like a nice score -- mmmmmm 4 speed -- and the motor looks like it's about ready to go. Gotta love those pent top Air Gaps ... I see a few around here. :-D Make yourself at home and you'll be part of the family before ya know it.

Welcome to the site, we're not all kids here either! lol Where in Misery are you located? More picts!!

About an hour southeast of Springfield in a little hillbilly town where chevys run rampant. I got the engine stabbed in the car yesterday and took some pictures, but I forgot the camera at the shop, so I'll try to get some pictures up later today.

Welcome to FABO! Gotta have more pics as you progress with your 'new' car. Got any plans to replace that 8.25 rearend? May not give the best service behind a stout 360.

-
Back