new guy

-

devildart

Reaction score
hello everyone, I found this site browsing for some engine decoding info, since I own a 69 dart I figured I should join. Now for my question. There is a 318 in my dart, on the front of the block on the left side under the head is cast PM318R 24581516 what can any one tell me about these casting numbers? thanks.

Welcome devildart. I'll leave the casting # id to some of the other guys. I know that some of the small block casting #'s can be a puzzle since I understand virtually none of the assembly plants followed the same procedure and/or order of stamping.

Your first 2 digits are the plant code(Mound Road) ,the next 3 are the engine displacement(318 cu. in.). Usually a letter after the engine size will denote something special, e.g.- hp or s = high performance, h= hemi, (r= regular fuel).The casting # is essentially the blocks name. The Mopar casting #`s are somewhat enigmatic but as a general rule the first digit denotes the decade that the first casting was produced. 1= 1950`s, 2=1960`s,3= 1970`s and so on. The second digit is the year of that decade that the item was first cast and the last digit will usually tell you if it`s a right hand or left hand part. Even #`s are for the right and odds for the left.So 2458... would have been first cast in 1964. This doesn`t work for all Mopar casting #`s and many of these#`s will appear for a decade or more,but this is the general concept.There`s also a sequential number from a 10,000 day calender as well as what workshift it was, that cast the block.I hope this helps you some. Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site :thumblef:

DSCF0016 (Small).JPG

The stamped #s PM318R 24581516. 2458 is the date that the engine was put together. 2458= Sunday April 20, 1968. 1516 is the # assembled, it was the 1,516th engine put together that day. Casting #s are different than stamping #s.

Thanks for all the help. I was curious as to what year 318 I have and now I know. I will posting more questions as time goes on. I have had my dart for only 2 months now. Not my first mopar but it is my first A-body. the car is extremely clean but it has had some serious parts swapping going on. Once again, thanks for the help.

-
Back