New help locating correct starter 67 383 dart.

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I thought I would put this out to the experts on the boards. I want to replace my old tired starter with a correct factory starter in my 383 67 GTS dart. Current starter has real hard time cranking when engine hot. I have a couple concerns:
1. Will the factory starter fit with the TTi's I have on the car or do I need a mini starter?
2. Is the correct starter a different unit then was used on small block or slant 6?
3. If so what is the correct part #?

I recently purchased a starter part # 2095219 the case was made 3 67 which would make it date correct for my car built 4 19 67.
I was recently told that all big block starters were different than the small block or slant 6 starters. I was told the starter I bought off of eBay part # 2095219 was correct but I'm doubting that now. An older mechanic I know said that he remembers Chrysler big block, hemi starters being 1.8 hp and the slant 6 or others were 1.5 hp? He showed me an old starter he had laying around and it appears as if the round end on the 1.8 hp is longer than on the 1.5hp. I looked at the one on my car and it appears to be the shorter one. I'm concerned that the longer 1.8 won't fit.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Carl K

"Headers" is the big question

There most certainly is a "heavy" and "light duty" starter, but they interchange, "bolt up" wise. In other words all gear drive starters bolt up and would crank if they have the power

After a starter (or any other part) goes through a rebuilder, it's questionable how "correct" it is for anything

The whole deal is, headers should be designed to fit starters, not the other way around. After all, "we" have been putting headers on cars long before there were mini starters

The 2 Npra numbers are 3250 std 3258 hd. And yes the 3258 has a longer armeture

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. The napa numbers of 3250 and 3258 I think were the models. The 3258 does have a longer armature but I'm trying to find a part # that would be correct and correspond to that. I still don't know if the 383 440 or hemi had a higher horsepower or different part # than the lower compression/performance motors? I'm just trying to get it right for the he car. Some things aren't easy to make correct.

Carl

I just went out to the shop and looked up the starters in the 1967 Factory Parts Book.

Here are the part numbers.

2095 150 - ALL engines and ALL Makes and Models Including 426 Hemi Automatic.

2642 930 - 426 Hemi Manual Trans

1889 100 - With 11" clutch Taxi and Police

Herb

Dart67

Thanks for the info most helpful. It is pretty surprising to me that Chrysler didn't make any exception for a slant 6 as compared to a 383,440, or hemi auto when it came to the use of a starter. Possibly the higher horsepower units or later models with larger armatures didn't come out until 1971 or later?

Carl

The 2 Npra numbers are 3250 std 3258 hd. And yes the 3258 has a longer armeture

NPRA is an acronym for National Parts Rebuilders Association, Has nothing to do with NAPA. Very similar to FMSI numbers for brake shoes and brake pads. You may notice that different parts vendors have similarities in their part numbers as the NPRA or FMSI

Did the TTI headers not come with paper work that states the modern mini starter is required ? If a mini starter is required with those headers all the info on original starters is only coffee talk ( moot point ).

I have an original starter on the car right now with the TTi's it just fits. But I was thinking that I may have to upgrade to the factory looking higher torque model which is longer probably won't fit. I think I'm going to go with a mini high torque and keep the original correct one off to the the side. Better safe than sorry. Thanks everyone for all the info. That's why this site is the best. Tons of great knowledgeable people.

Carl

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mini starter that would work well and bolt right in with my TTi's?

-
Back