new hood scoop for the Dart sport

-

racerbob

Reaction score
I have been racing my '73 Dart Sport 340 for the past few years using the OEM hood scoop mounted on the original hood. I have been told more than a few time the original hood should have its opening beneath the scoop enlarged to help the car breath better.

Being I did not wish to cut on the Original hood that came from factory with the hood scoop (the only really cool option my car came with) , I decided to mount a '68 Hemi scoop to another hood and see if that with a larger hole in the hood would improve the car's performance.

I have yet to test it out at the track, but it sure looks faster!!

I bought the scoop from GLASTEK and used a hood I bought off of a craigslist add. I painted it with PPG DCC-9355 Deltron Concept Organasol Black paint. The Paint does not look like the old stuff (DDL-9355 Acrylic Laquer), but still looks good to me.

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

I,ve also conimplated cutting my hood for a scoop.I have a foctory snorkel scoop,but my car didn,t come with it.1973 Dart Sport 340,4 speed.I have a spare hood I might mount it too,haven,t decided yet.Let us know if there,s any improvement in times?

Nice I have been considering one from GlassTek too.. Are there studs on the scoop?? How did you mount it?? Were you happy with the quality??

Thanks Bryan

440Dart,

The hood scoop is made quite well. I would buy from them again.

It did not come with mounting studs or have any mounting bolt locations identified. It does have a nice 1" wide mounting flange on the inside of the scoop on three sides that allowed me to drill it, drill the hood and bolt it to hood with 1/4" bolts. I also had to make the support studs in the opening. They are made from 3/8" stainless tubing with stainless washers and 1/4" carriage bolts bolted through.

Bob

Let Us Know If You Go Any Faster With The New Scoop. I Always Wonder About The Drag Of A Scooped Hood Vs A Flat Hood With Sealed Ram Air Cleaner. Years Ago, On My First Race Car, I Installed A Glass Hood With A 5 Inch Snorkle. I Found Out Real Quick That 4 Hood Pins Was Not Enough.

I went racing this past friday evening. Results are had to gauge, but car could be running a little bit faster.

Car went 12.25 right off of the trailer and then went 12.25 (again), 12.15, 12.14, 12.15 (after I red lite) On a night when most other drivers had not picked up from the last time we raced , my car went a few hundreds faster than it had a few weeks earlier.

Now the next big test, I am upgrading (and up sizing) the carb from a Holley 650 DP (list 4777-2) to a Holley 750 DP (list 4779-1) with a Proform main body section.

I had tried this 750 carb with its standard main body on the car last year (with the stock hood and its small holes in the hood) and it actually slowed the car down (both off of the line and in the top end of the run also!!!). I am hoping the lack of air flow through the hood and hood scoop caused that. If the car picks up a lot that should confirm the hood scoop holes in the stock hood were limiting the performance.

Bob

I will find out on Friday

Scoop looks nice. Be interesting to see how that carb works for you now. Good luck at the races.

Up is as follows:

Tried the 750 proform body but car suffered an unrelated driveshaft failure. After all of that was sorted out I was back to using the 650 DP holley with new u-joints, tailshaft housing, yoke, rear end flange and distributor.

Anyway this weekend car went 11.98 @ 111.6 mph sort of cool moist air (temp in the 50's @ 90 % RH). This is probably .08 -.10 faster than it would go in similar trim and conditions last year with the stock hood & scoop.

The hood scoop is worth what is cost to get me into the 11's! I still have to work out the kinks in the proform carb.

Bob

PS: the Mopar Eastern Classic was postponed due to weather until November 14, 2009 . I hope we get some cool dry air so I can maybe get into the 11.80's!!

-
Back