New jegs crate motors

-

DartIan

Reaction score
Anyone get the new jegs magazine and see the mopar performance crate motors? Who are they trying to bend over? yeah its hard to find motors and such and such but really? Get the f@#$ outta here. :mumum:

[ame="http://youtu.be/TL6NY5lfBAg"][/ame]

I am the process of building about the same motor with a little more compression.
I will have about $4500 in it, this includes sfi flywheel, sfi balancer, MP distributor, 750 holley carb, M1 intake, Eddy heads, roller rockers, headers, with the whole bottom end balanced.

All the internals in the engine are new, but the support stuff like carb, intake, distributor, MP valve covers, MP air cleaner, etc are used but like new.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P5155074/10002/-1

12,000 for a 340 six pack. ok its a well sought after piece. but not for 12 large that rediculous

Totally overprice, a rip off, etc

Yet it must be nice to be rich and just call up Jegs and $15,000 gets you a great engine and transmission rigth to your door in a few days.

But those folks don't want a 1970 Cuda with a 340 six pack, they want some gee wizz high price new car, lol

I wouldn't blame Jegs, I think its a Chrysler deal. The price is the same over at Summit.

I don't begrudge anyone making a buck off of me. I begrudge their trying to make a fortune off of me. Take for example the 5.7 Crate motor. It runs around $7500.00 This is with a NON-programmable computer. WTF.

The cost of that motor at the dealership for a 5.7 from intake to pan is around $3500.00 Brand New. Throw in a wiring harness and a factory computer and you should be talking $4500.00 or MAYBE $5000.00 Tops.

You'd think they are trying to reduce their fan base based upon the way they price stuff.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

copied from another forum...posted by someone who works for chrysler

You're just now noticing this?

Good morning, and welcome to 2006

The factory hasn't made any cheap, brand new 5.9s since 2002. MP used up everything the factory made for a few years, sold many $6000 dollar crate motors based on factory engines and when they were gone that was that, which was circa '06.

The foundation for the higher priced engines is a brand new
$3000 dollar race block, Scat/K1/Diamond forged lower end components, Edelbrock heads (in the case of the 440, a special casting), and they're built by Gary Stanton Racing Engines.

Please feel free to try to duplicate any of them with all brand new parts, paying a professional to machine, build, dyno test and warrantee it, and let us know how that works out

Meanwhile...if you want a lower priced crate motor, try a brand new 425HP 6.1 HEMI for $6440 retail. Anywhere a small block will fit, a 6.1 Hemi will fit. Ask Jegs to tell you all about P5155437. The factory doesn't make those anymore either, they switched to 6.4 so get one while they're hot.

second post from same person...who works for Chrysler..

To do reman, you need 1000 viable cores per year for 3 years, anything less is a waste of time. 360LA engines are out. You aren't going to get there with 360LA.

Next? 5.9 magnum. When the OE ran out of 5.9 engines, MP switched to .020 over reman with magnum RT heads and rated at 390HP. All new internals purchased at considerably higher prices than the OE, low volume machining, and resulting higher MSRP....but still very popular.

So popular, that backorders piled up. At one point there was an 8 month wait. Why? 4 out of 5 stock 5.9 blocks went to scrap because they were either cracked, overheated just shy of melting, or were too thin to go .020 over.
Core viability. Time to move on.

Reman does not work, the end

There is absolutely nothing deceptive about my statements
re: Gen 3 hemi. 6.1 or 5.7 fits in any car or truck that originally came with a 318, period.
If you're too cheap to buy headers, find some stock manifolds that will fit, cut and weld 6.1 tubular manifolds until they will work, or use Hooker headers instead of TTI. If you're too cheap to buy a computer, use a megasquirt, solder it together yourself at the kitchen table. If you're too cheap to buy two new carbs to put on an Edelbrock dual quad manifold, do like I did, buy a pair off ebay and rebuild them. If you're too cheap to buy motor mounts, buy the mounting plates off of ebay and weld them up yourself. Money can be saved in 1000 places and the end result can still be great. Still not reasonable enough? Then don't do it....but don't complain Gen 3 costs a fortune when you aren't willing to homebrew anything.

Those suggesting cams and compression are on the right track...but please try to consider the end result when a customer puts an 11.5:1, 260 @ .050, .650 lift 360 engine into his loaded b body with air conditioning, power brakes, a stock torque converter, a 600cfm carb, stock exhaust manifolds, 3.23 gears, puts 87 octane gas in it, and uses a Wal Mart motor oil with a Quaker State filter. Do you really think he will be happy with it? Do you think he has any clue how to tune it? How long do you think it will last in that application? Just because you and I know better doesn't mean everyone else does.

I know how to be cheap. I have maybe 5k into my 451 low deck, it has a very nicely machined 1972 engine block and a reworked 1969 crankshaft in it, as well as many other used/reworked parts. It also has 10.75:1, and .630 lift. I have fun with it, I think 123mph is fairly respectable for what it is, and having built it myself at home I take some pride in it. I also think it would be the most miserable crate engine you ever saw.

second post from same person...who works for Chrysler..

To do reman, you need 1000 viable cores per year for 3 years, anything less is a waste of time. 360LA engines are out. You aren't going to get there with 360LA.

Next? 5.9 magnum. When the OE ran out of 5.9 engines, MP switched to .020 over reman with magnum RT heads and rated at 390HP. All new internals purchased at considerably higher prices than the OE, low volume machining, and resulting higher MSRP....but still very popular.

So popular, that backorders piled up. At one point there was an 8 month wait. Why? 4 out of 5 stock 5.9 blocks went to scrap because they were either cracked, overheated just shy of melting, or were too thin to go .020 over.
Core viability. Time to move on.

Reman does not work, the end

There is absolutely nothing deceptive about my statements
re: Gen 3 hemi. 6.1 or 5.7 fits in any car or truck that originally came with a 318, period.
If you're too cheap to buy headers, find some stock manifolds that will fit, cut and weld 6.1 tubular manifolds until they will work, or use Hooker headers instead of TTI. If you're too cheap to buy a computer, use a megasquirt, solder it together yourself at the kitchen table. If you're too cheap to buy two new carbs to put on an Edelbrock dual quad manifold, do like I did, buy a pair off ebay and rebuild them. If you're too cheap to buy motor mounts, buy the mounting plates off of ebay and weld them up yourself. Money can be saved in 1000 places and the end result can still be great. Still not reasonable enough? Then don't do it....but don't complain Gen 3 costs a fortune when you aren't willing to homebrew anything.

Those suggesting cams and compression are on the right track...but please try to consider the end result when a customer puts an 11.5:1, 260 @ .050, .650 lift 360 engine into his loaded b body with air conditioning, power brakes, a stock torque converter, a 600cfm carb, stock exhaust manifolds, 3.23 gears, puts 87 octane gas in it, and uses a Wal Mart motor oil with a Quaker State filter. Do you really think he will be happy with it? Do you think he has any clue how to tune it? How long do you think it will last in that application? Just because you and I know better doesn't mean everyone else does.

I know how to be cheap. I have maybe 5k into my 451 low deck, it has a very nicely machined 1972 engine block and a reworked 1969 crankshaft in it, as well as many other used/reworked parts. It also has 10.75:1, and .630 lift. I have fun with it, I think 123mph is fairly respectable for what it is, and having built it myself at home I take some pride in it. I also think it would be the most miserable crate engine you ever saw.

got a link to that thread?

Yes the 340 comes with a bullet proof block, not some old factory 340 casting.

It is a great engine, throw a solid cam in and buzz it to 8,000 and it live-daily use

Its just too expensive for many of us. Its over kill.

Too bad Mopar didn't sell these 10 years ago when banks were giving out free credit--money or more engines would be out there in the old 340 cars.

If you have a nice 340 six pack car and missing the engine, this IS the engine to get. Just most folks will not buy it today

I have a friend that works at a local Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer that told me the sky high prices and not being able to get replacement parts from Ma Mopar came about along with the government bailout to discourage people from keeping their older cars on the road. An example he used was the 360 oil pan pkg. He said he used to sell 7-10 of these per month then all of a sudden after the bailout they were unavailable for a long time. Shortly after the bailout I ordered a set of MP small block rocker shaft hold down bolts and retainers from Moparts Connection for $24.95 that was their online price but when the salesman looked up the price they had gone up to $119.95. He sold them to me for the online price but they had to change their ad price. I also tried to buy a set of arm rests for a 95 Dakota I had and 1 week earlier I found them at several dealers nationwide but 1 week later none could be found. I say let Mopar Performance eat these over priced crate engines since there are many trusted vendors that can supply what you want for 1/3 to 1/2 that price.

i call BS on the oil pan and bail out deal. that pan kit was impossible to find well before the bail out. its typical anti enthusiast chrysler is where the problem is. nothing to do with bail outs or anything like that..

and now those clowns are trying to get 10+ thousand for a motor that you need to pull apart and have your machine shop go through to make sure its put together right.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers....just what I was told by a friend who has no reason to lie to me that sells me parts for his price not list price. And I never had a problem getting that oil pan package for myself or anyone else until the last few years.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers....just what I was told by a friend who has no reason to lie to me that sells me parts for his price not list price. And I never had a problem getting that oil pan package for myself or anyone else until the last few years.

didn't ruffle anything here. just calling it as i see it. but that pan was out of stock well before the bail out is all i'm saying. its chrysler anti enthusiasts way of doing things thats is the problem.. i'm not saying the guy lied, probably just misinformed.

I love how "zippy" keeps repeating, "if you are too cheap..." I have something to say about that. Hey Zippy, when I take down my zipper start s*cking....

$13 k for a small block crate motor? The Hemi crate motors used to cost that much...

Now Mr. zippy did not address anything about the poor quality of the old crate motor builds and how they were throwing connecting rods.... Maybe that's why they had to go to a better "professional builder" and then dyno test them after building them - to catch any loose connecting rods from getting out. Yes, Mr. zippy, I can build an engine that won't blow up on my dyno test - in my car when I put the engine in that I built and start it, then drive it after I get it tuned in - no thrown rods.

He didn't also say anything about how poor quality the new MP parts are. The new purpleshaft cams are so bad that Mancini Racing stopped carrying them. They would come in two pieces out of the box and MP would refuse to warranty them!! Also the new TDC dead stop tool has bad threads on them that won't fit in a spark plug hole. They won't fix or warranty those either. They are trying to sell their junk stock of them to us and then leave us hanging.

Who are these a--holes at Mopar that are trying to screw us over and think that we will keep buying their parts??? If that is their attitude, I will buy my parts elsewhere, just like I have done with my daily driver cars - no more Chrysler for me. I'm sick of having to deal with their poor quality junk. First cars, now parts...

I used to work there and can tell you stories about how the supervisors in the machining departments would dig the scrap/out of spec parts out of the scrap area when they ran out of parts and send them to the line to buy time for them to make some more parts. Sometimes we would catch them on the assembly line, and sometimes not. Then the castrated/spineless quality manager did not have the balls defend himself and the customer and cave in to upper management and ship the engines that were quarantined instead of search them and verify that they did not have the bad parts on them. "I would rather take the hit in warranty than inspect 2500 engines to find the 200 bad parts" is how he would try to justify it. In my opinion sending out 1 bad part was not acceptable. But I'm not supposed to tell you that, so I won't....

I know if you order the parts directly from your local Chrysler Dealership, they're alot cheaper than if you would have bought them from Summit, Jegs, etc.

Last year I was pricing a Hemi Block for my '71 Demon, and the local dealership was $400 cheaper than anywhere online (and no shipping cost either).

-
Back