new look for the Dart Sport

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
finally got started putting the hood scoop on my sons 73 Dart Sport. Have about 4 hours left putting the glaze on it sanding it down and shooting it in primer and it is done. Will have it finished tomorrow. It will be kept in primer till the car is painted this winter and then it will be matte black like my Duster. here are some pics from start to now. first pic is of it just sitting on the hood. don't think it will look too bad. The process in case you are interested, we trimmed the scoop to fit the body line on the hood. not much mainly in the front. Marked the hood scoop on the hood. cut it out. then took the hood down to metal. glued the hood down with the glue used to hang quarters while screwing it down with screws every 3" and letting it set up for 48 hours. then removed the screws and ground the edge of the scoop and feathered the edges out to the edge of the scoop with body filler. then we will put the final glazing on it to fill the scratches then shoot it with primer.

Attachments

• DSC04860 (Copy).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC04882 (Copy).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC04881 (Copy).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC04880 (Copy).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC04879 (Copy).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC04876 (Copy).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC04875 (Copy).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC04873 (Copy).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC04870 (Copy).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC04861 (Copy).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 438
72 views and no comments. it must look pretty bad then. I usually finish what I start. I started this thread so I will finish it with the final pics. The underneath of the hood will be sprayed tomorrow with the yellow he is going with on the whole car. The top will be matte black. after the paint underneath will come the Fat Mat and the new under hood insulation on Thursday. Put the hood back on and get ready for the show on Sunday. I was under the assumption that some of you guys were interested in the final pics of the last stages of this resto on the Dart Sport.

Attachments

• DSC04891 (Copy).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC04888 (Copy).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC04887 (Copy).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC04886 (Copy).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC04885 (Copy).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC04884 (Copy).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC04883 (Copy).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC04889 (Copy).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 394
i agree. looks killer. a scoop makes our a-body's look so much meaner. Its also awesome to see a father/son team working together. He will remember these times forever! way to go dad!

That looks great Bill! I like to put a scoop like that on my '72 when I get around to it.

my son is the body man here. he is much better than I am. the gray coating on there is sprayable bondo. some good stuff. he will block it out again and spray a couple coats of epoxy primer before the black goes on.

72 views and no comments.

It was hard to tell what it looked like until you got the hood in primer. I like it. I have been thinking of using that exact scoop on mine, but wondered what it would look like. Now I know, Thanks!!

Whoa!! Nice work, guys!!!

Keep the updates coming.

WOW LOOKS GREAT! But, I would be so afraid of the scoop/body work cracking at the seams... I have heard and seen many hoods that have started cracking..... That's the one think stopping me from that, I will eventually just buy a one piece fiberglass hood I think.

If Dura-glass was used as the primary filler it would hold up forever . Bondo will crack from heat and vibration .And is also not water proof as dura-glass or fiber-strand. Looks nice though and a different look then usual on a sport.

trust me, its not gonna crack or separate. it is guaranteed. mine was done the same way 12 years ago and it is still perfect.

Making me think of doing mine now hahaha. Are or did you guys cut out a opening under the hood for it to be functional or is it non functional?

yes, we cut the hood. if you look at the pics in the beginning you can see the outline of the opening we cut. when the underneath of the hood gets painted in a day or so, I will post pics of the underneath.

Nice work! I'll be doing the same thing in a while for my 64 Dart. It's a lot of work but a good scoop makes a car.

-
Back