New Magnum style heads

-

ham_r_down01

Is Freak Nasty
Reaction score
Ive been out of the small mopar world for a minute. Ive been reading through threads about new heads.. Does anyone manufacture new stuff thats quality? Ive been seeing that the china EQ heads can be sketchy and dealing with Clearwater Cyl Head can be a mess. Id like to run the 2.02 heads, iron or aluminum... Open to suggestions/pros and cons.

Its a mild 360 build and using factory fuel injection with a Mopar computer.

Thanks in advance.

Ive been out of the small mopar world for a minute. Ive been reading through threads about new heads.. Does anyone manufacture new stuff thats quality? Ive been seeing that the china EQ heads can be sketchy and dealing with Clearwater Cyl Head can be a mess. Id like to run the 2.02 heads, iron or aluminum... Open to suggestions/pros and cons.

Its a mild 360 build and using factory fuel injection with a Mopar computer.

Thanks in advance.
Buy them from jegs, cheapest mag replacements... I think they are the same as the speed masters. Start cheaper then do the work I show in the speed master magnum inspection thread and you'll have yourself a good 260 cfm head.
Guides to 11/32, cheaper +.100 1.94/1.60 @5.011 length valves, cut for std springs w/1.44 cutter.. then a good valve job with chamber sweep / deshroud cut and hand blend. There are no bolt on magnum heads worth a **** atm. That's the only path available that I'm familiar with.

Yes I was reading though some of your threads. I was sifting through the classifieds, not much out there. I appreciate your input!

Buy them from jegs, cheapest mag replacements... I think they are the same as the speed masters. Start cheaper then do the work I show in the speed master magnum inspection thread and you'll have yourself a good 260 cfm head.
Guides to 11/32, cheaper +.100 1.94/1.60 @5.011 length valves, cut for std springs w/1.44 cutter.. then a good valve job with chamber sweep / deshroud cut and hand blend. There are no bolt on magnum heads worth a **** atm. That's the only path available that I'm familiar with.
I was curious. Which thread should he (we) start with?
upload_2022-2-20_8-43-42.png

I was curious. Which thread should he (we) start with? View attachment 1715874103
They all get sidetracked.

The inspection & the part 2. Follow up/run down are the ones.

It's distracting. I start a thread...find something I didnt expect, the thread goes left a bit... them eventually makes it back on course...but is tainted with the pita finding. If they're was no expectation..say if the head was just advertised as just another replacement head... it would be no big. Everyone would be pleasantly surprised by the results and what was attained with them... not expecting 179cc ports and some breakthrough finding of the next latest n greatest magnum head. I dont think we will ever have anything better than a rhs or eq. ..and we wont even have that without putting a little extra elbow grease into what's available.

I dislike speedmaster. They are dishonest....and have no shame..but knowing what I can make out of that mag casting... I'd say that's about it for magnum heads atm. Use them and do the work...or skip magnum heads all together and just go LA.

I just came across a set of R/T heads... one needs some work. Dropped a valve and is pretty banged up. I sent a message/pic to a head service local to me.

They all get sidetracked.

The inspection & the part 2. Follow up/run down are the ones.

It's distracting. I start a thread...find something I didnt expect, the thread goes left a bit... them eventually makes it back on course...but is tainted with the pita finding. If they're was no expectation..say if the head was just advertised as just another replacement head... it would be no big. Everyone would be pleasantly surprised by the results and what was attained with them... not expecting 179cc ports and some breakthrough finding of the next latest n greatest magnum head. I dont think we will ever have anything better than a rhs or eq. ..and we wont even have that without putting a little extra elbow grease into what's available.

I dislike speedmaster. They are dishonest....and have no shame..but knowing what I can make out of that mag casting... I'd say that's about it for magnum heads atm. Use them and do the work...or skip magnum heads all together and just go LA.
That just got me thinking and I don't know if it will work but if I close a thread so others can't respond, I don't know whether the original poster can. If so you could start a thread, I could close it and you could add to it any time without it getting sidetracked. When you are far enough along, I could open it up for questions and discussion. If you are interested, I will check it out and see if the software works that way. Just a thought.

The bare iron magnum replacement heads seem to be about the same price no matter where you buy them.
Buy from the vendor of your choice, then rework as desired and install your selected parts.

Or spend the big bucks and get some Edelbrocks(I haven’t checked availability).

Wow..... the Ede’s are up to $2250/pr now.

Last edited:
Wow..... the Ede’s are up to $2250/pr now.

dang that’s crazy. I just saw on IMM website last night that he has a page for an import mopar style head. LA intake bolts and rockers i think, but with the right rockers you can run them on magnums. i think $1495 is the base price with quality parts in them. A little porting is another $550. Would def run those over Edelbrocks for $2250.
are trick flows still around $2000??

-
Back