New Mancini Timing Cover Fitment Issue

-

KEVIN LANGFORD

Reaction score
In the middle of a timing chain replacement. 1971 318 LA block.
I purchased a new timing cover for my Duster from Mancini racing because the OEM cover has bad corrosion at the water jackets and about to penetrate cover in many areas to the internals of the timing chain.

With the new cover,
Everything seems to be lining up. and the crank shaft seems centered. But, I noticed the bottom of the cover is slightly larger. Approx. 3mm larger. (see pics)

I did a rough test fit with the rubber gasket for the front of the oil pan and its a no-go for easily getting it no there and seated correctly.

Has anyone ever run into this issue?

What are my options?
Take both covers to a machine shop and match the bottoms.
Old timing cover has 3.2mm wall thickness around the bottom
(There is enough material to grind it down to fit.)
New timing cover has 5.1mm wall thickness around the bottom

Do I take an angle grinder and cut it myself in a vise?
I figure I need about 1.5mm cut from the bottom to make the gasket fit.

Is there another gasket option thickness for the front oil pan? new 318 w/ nubs is 5mm thick.

I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the input!

20240508_153653.jpg

OEM cover
20240508_153715.jpg

New Cover (stamped MA)
20240506_153220.jpg

original cover
20240506_153203.jpg

New cover
20240507_193021.jpg

test fit , bolt alignment etc. (no gaskets)
20240507_193210.jpg

limited space for a 5mm rubber gasket
20240508_175205.jpg

amount of material to cut for fitting a gasket in there 1.5mm circumference.

thanks again!

Sorry, MM is a strange thing to me.

Send this, your post if not a link to the post message to Mancini racing. The pictures may hasten the process.

The old cover has an internal seal. The new cover? Seems like I saw this the other day, internal seal, external seal. I can quite imagine that the timing cover is difficult to get on with the pan still on. The oil pan goes on hard with the timing cover in place. Plus, the harmonic balancer has to be in to center the cover. May want to think about that.
I would probably still check with Mancini.

So why are you asking us instead of calling Mancini directly?

Honestly- no offense but it is like people lost their ability to ask / complain directly to a person and use the internet to do it for them.

Honestly- no offense but it is like people lost their ability to ask / complain directly to a person and use the internet to do it for them.
Which usually takes a lot longer and normally pisses off the vendor. lol

It the new latest and greatest design. NO rubber needed, just a honkin big bead of silicone and your good to go.

Honestly- no offense but it is like people lost their ability to ask / complain directly to a person and use the internet to do it for themcalled them and they said its
I did call Mancini. They stated it is a direct fit from original molds but "aftermarket reproduction" so there could be differences. I figured atleast the tolerances would be the same since Mancini was stocking it.

One thing I have found out is that this casting is being offered in all the major parts stores and web pages by whatever manufacture "MA" is.

Did a forum search and web search yet nothing came up.
So, I thought Id ask for ideas If others had come across similar issues.

I did call Mancini. They stated it is a direct fit from original molds but "aftermarket reproduction" so there could be differences. I figured atleast the tolerances would be the same since Mancini was stocking it.

One thing I have found out is that this casting is being offered in all the major parts stores and web pages by whatever manufacture "MA" is.

Did a forum search and web search yet nothing came up.
So, I thought Id ask for ideas If others had come across similar issues.
I haven't seen anything yet, but it's very obviously different. Will it work? I reckon only you can answer that when you mock it up.

I haven't seen anything yet, but it's very obviously different. Will it work? I reckon only you can answer that when you mock it up.
I'm going to clean up my original and glob up the water jackets with RTV adding to what was there when I popped the cover off.

I'll go the grinding route on the oddball aftermarket to see if I could make it work.

20240428_140217.jpg

20240428_140213.jpg

I would think it would be better to have one a little on the large side in that spot to squeeze the gasket better, than on the thin side. I bet if you bolt it up, it'd be fine. It'll just squeeze the gasket a little more, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Only one way to find out.

I guess I'll ask the obvious, sure You didn't get a 360 cover by mistake???

I guess I'll ask the obvious, sure You didn't get a 360 cover by mistake?

The mancini specs state it will fit all. 273-360
But, after looking around online its is the same cover offered by every single autopart site.

Fits: Small Block 273/318/340/360 & V6

With 9.600" Standard Deck Height, Raw Aluminum

Note: This is a late model timing cover. Early engines have a passenger side timing mark. Use a timing tape or etch damper with timing marks.

Do you have a cracked or broken timing cover, and are tired of searching junkyards and swap meets for a replacement? If so, these Mopar Performance aluminum timing chain covers should put a smile on your face. They are all-new castings that have precision-machined gasket and sealing surfaces for superior leak resistance and durability. The covers feature a natural finish and pre-threaded mounting holes for a no-hassle installation.

everything aligns except the extra 2mm of wall thickness at the bottom.
I'm going to angle grind and file the bottom to see if it will fit the standard lower front oil seal.
I've done the measurements to match my old cover.

It may work

I would think it would be better to have one a little on the large side in that spot to squeeze the gasket better, than on the thin side. I bet if you bolt it up, it'd be fine. It'll just squeeze the gasket a little more, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Only one way to find out.
I tried it with a placeholder gasket and prying the cover down from both water-jackets it was just off to get a bolt started.
I think if I just shave a bit it will fit. everything else looks to align and the crankshaft does center in the front seal.

Well see after I shave it with a grinder.

-
Back