New Member... '66 Dart Wagon... San Diego, CA

-
Do you have a line on a donor 73-76 a body with 8 1/4 rear and disks?

Expecting to find a car like that for under $700 in San Diego is probably not realistic. Maybe if you look hard for a couple years at least. If you want those parts within 6 months expect to buy the parts individually.

Donor cars are more of a rust belt deal. Their bodies rust out and they scavenge the mechanicals. And they have cheap land that people can abandon/store rusted out cars on.

Hey Autoxcuda,

I have a line on a possibility of a 74 Dart. Has discs on the front. Not sure yet on the rear end. He wants $950, but I hope to get him to come down some as it is pretty trashed otherwise. It has a 318 in it with A/C.

What are the odds of it having an 8 1/4?

Steck

Do you have a line on a donor 73-76 a body with 8 1/4 rear and disks? Most you find will have 7 1/4 rears. And the lower six clyinders can be drum 7 1/4 cars.

Expecting to find a car like that for under $700 in San Diego is probably not realistic. Maybe if you look hard for a couple years at least. If you want those parts within 6 months expect to buy the parts individually.

Donor cars are more of a rust belt deal. Their bodies rust out and they scavenge the mechanicals. And they have cheap land that people can abandon/store rusted out cars on.

Hi Autoxcuda,

I am looking at a 74 dart with a 318. It has front disc and still trying to determine what the rear end is. It is pretty rough otherwise. He wants $950 but hopefully, I can get him down some. I was hoping for about $750. Does that sound like a good possibility.

What do you think of that as a possibility, if I can snag it.

Steck

Hi Autoxcuda,

I am looking at a 74 dart with a 318. It has front disc and still trying to determine what the rear end is. It is pretty rough otherwise. He wants $950 but hopefully, I can get him down some. I was hoping for about $750. Does that sound like a good possibility.

What do you think of that as a possibility, if I can snag it.

Steck

50/50 or less.

I think you can get FMJ body spindles/shields/caliper brackets at pick a part $60-70 and pay like $50-75? for used Abody big ball joint upper control arms. Rotors and calipers can buy new. 8 1/4 has rose up in value $250-350. There are those that ask more.

You need to make detailed list of exactly what you will use/need

I think the brake swap is worth $250-300. You'll need the large pattern rims too.

You can sell the Kmember for $75-120. Is it power steering, do you want to covert.

Last edited:
Hey Adriver,

Yes, I have learned of the sbp and lbp issue. To be honest, it initially a surprise once I started doing the disc brake upgrade.

So if I use a 74 Dart as a donor, I will be going from a sbp to a lbp with the disc brake upgrade. I have talked to several folks and it could either way on the rear end 7 1/4 or 8 1/4. One can hope for the 8 1/4.

I am not sure what you mean about the brake shoe difference. Do you mind explaining?

Thank you for the advice.

Steck

An 8 3/4 SBP would have 2 inch wide brake shoes. Sort of an obsolete thing.
When people convert to LBP axles from Moser for instance they get backspacing for the newer common 2 1/4 shoes.
What I meant was I'm thinking all SBP axles, might have the 2 inch shoes.
I don't know since I've never looked that up or fooled with anything SBP other than an 8 3/4 conversion.
That's all.
Once you get rolling, use the search function (upper right) to maybe answer your specific question and post anything specific to a problem in the associated forum.
People here are very knowledgeable about all the important stuff.

8 1/4 width

7.25 rear end dimensions

Last edited:
Come on up to Fall Fling in LA for the 2nd largest all mopar swap with a well thought out list, and try to score some deals.

Maybe carpool with someone here or in the SD Mopar club. Make sure to be at the swap by 7:00 am though.

There will be disk conversions for sale. Most likely an Abody 8 3/4 but pricey. Maybe an Abody 8 1/4 or large bolt 7 1/4. Regular Abody width is used in all wagons. Make sure you have the width specs so you can measure. Don't rely on a sellers info.

Fling 22
Saturday October 28, 2017
Woodley Park Van Nuys CA

Flyer: http://www.cpwclub.com/documents/FF17Flyer.pdf

Register here: Chrysler Performance West - Mopar Spring Fling & Fall Fling

Hi autoxcuda,

Quick question regarding the Fall Fling. If I am going up to the swap meet this Saturday, is there an entrance price and should I have already registered and paid. Up until now, I was not sure if I could make it.

Also any idea what 8 1/4's are costing these days? I am also wondering about the different gear ratios and what I should be looking at for more of a daily driver. I have a lead on an 8 1/4 with 4.10 gear for $500. Is that in realm of reality? What are your thoughts on having that gear ratio for a future daily driver?

I am assuming you will be at the Fall Fling, how might we connect?

Steck

Hi autoxcuda,

Quick question regarding the Fall Fling. If I am going up to the swap meet this Saturday, is there an entrance price and should I have already registered and paid. Up until now, I was not sure if I could make it.

Also any idea what 8 1/4's are costing these days? I am also wondering about the different gear ratios and what I should be looking at for more of a daily driver. I have a lead on an 8 1/4 with 4.10 gear for $500. Is that in realm of reality? What are your thoughts on having that gear ratio for a future daily driver?

I am assuming you will be at the Fall Fling, how might we connect?

Steck

Free spectator admission!!

Online registration might still be open. But you can just pay at gate. Plenty of room. Must remain parked 10am to 1pm. No leaving early per LA fire dept rules

For a daily driver six cyl or stock 318 with a 26" or so diameter tire, you typically want 3.23/3.21 gears. Maybe 3.55 or 2.94 depending on highway driving or all street low distance with mild performance motor.

Free spectator admission!!

Online registration might still be open. But you can just pay at gate. Plenty of room. Must remain parked 10am to 1pm. No leaving early per LA fire dept rules

For a daily driver six cyl or stock 318 with a 26" or so diameter tire, you typically want 3.23/3.21 gears. Maybe 3.55 or 2.94 depending on highway driving or all street low distance with mild performance motor.

Thanks autocudx. I appreciate the info. Maybe see you at the Fall Fling.

Steck

-
Back