New Member Introduction - 1971 GSS Demon

-
A friend came over and we decided to drop the motor and trans in the car..."just to free up some floor space"....

View attachment 1715224455

View attachment 1715224456

View attachment 1715224457
What a super cool thread, keep the info for a sandwich sign at car shows. You are living thru what most every car guy on the planet thinks about but just never happens in real life. And clearly the other fella needs to swap ya for the block return. No true car guy would withhold that from you given the amount of documentation you have. He might skin ya for some cash but to not let you have it is just wrong. No way he won't relent. Everyone of us goes to car shows and "sees" that car if only our family had kept etc. your Demon is a gift and some great Karma. Have a blast!

Thanks! Yes it has been wonderful. Having the opportunity to find it, being able to buy it, and getting all the paperwork to prove what I knew it was. Then the best was taking Dad with to go get it. I will continue to work on getting the matching number block. For now, it will be put back together they way I remember it.

So, here is my story:

Dad sold the car when he and my mom got divorced in 1982. I got to ride in the car the day he sold it, I was 6. We did a 2-block long burnout. All the neighborhood kids were picking rubber off the marks in the road. What an experience it was to be in the car.

I knew of the person who ended up with the car after Dad sold it. Small town USA allows that kind of thing. He allowed me and my brothers to visit the car occasionally and said he would give Dad or one of us first chance to buy it if it ever came for sale. Fast forward to about 2005. I get a call from Dad saying the Demon was now for sale. Two days later, I am back home with money ready to get the car. I ran out to his house only to have him inform me the car had been gone for 2 weeks! When I returned to Dad's house, he apologized as he didn't realize it would be gone so soon. The car was now gone with no way to find it. The long time owner moved and I had no way to reach him. Going forward, I looked at every car show and swap meet I attended just in case it was there. I was scared that either the car was not taken care of and ultimately scrapped or it was well preserved but financially out of reach should it ever be found again.

On Monday July 23, 2018, a buddy in Fond du Lac asked me to go with to Minneapolis to pick up a 1965 Valiant. Always liking a road trip and anything car related I said yes. Why not look on Craigslist to see what else we could haul home was my thought. I don’t ever get over that way. Casually looking at page after page, I found a brand new posting for: "1971 Dodge Demon, original, rust free, long-time drag car, no engine, k-member setup for big block, 8 3/4 rear end, automatic, bench seat, hood scoop from 1972 Demon, super solid, last licensed 1984, complete interior, street or back to track". The story was too close to not call. I called him to see what kind of history he had for the car. He had the story all the way back to a guy in Park Falls, WI who had to sell it due to a divorce back in about 1982. Knowing it was the only yellow Demon in such a small town and the same time frame my mom and dad split, it had to be. He said I was #4 on the list to have a chance. I explained it was my Dad’s car and we named the same names who owned it. Thankfully, he moved me to the top of the list. Dad and I went up and got it on Wednesday and were able to confirm the holes in the dash from a switch he installed, his tach mount, and the rear mount battery in the spare tire recess. Dad said he used to have a magnet stuck to the dash that read “Smile God Loves You” and it had a small broken corner. I found the magnet and it has a broken piece on the L in Loves if you look close! Then when cleaning the interior I also found a receipt from the NAPA in Park Falls under the rear seat for a choke kit dated 1/13/1982. Last night I was informed Larry at Mr. Norms had all the original paperwork for the car with Dad's name on it. The complete paperwork set should be here by the end of next week.
Get the FARRK outta here, lurv this sorts stuff!!!!

Thank you everyone. Picked up an alternator, mini starter, fenderwell headers, lug nuts, valley pan and a reverse manual valve body. Making progress..Also went with Dad to get him a 1969 Barracuda notchback. Finding his car, got him the bug again. Woohoo!

20180929_195422.jpg

Last edited:
So I ran to the boneyard up the road. Found a 26" radiator, waterpump, and a C Body driveshaft to have shortened.

Front engine plate came today. What a nice piece. One place I took a liberty of my own.

20181020_164600.jpg

Did a temp install of the front engine plate today. Will work on it tomorrow more but it was calling me. Got the old mounts cut out and put this in for now.

Engine Plate.jpg

Just found this picture of Dad with my Demon from back when he still raced it. You can just make out the Mr. Norms decal above the driver's side taillight. Also, the "Car in Tow" in shoe polish. He flat towed it to Amber Green Raceway in Eau Claire, WI.

Changing Tires Demon.jpg

Vey cool story! I cant wait to see it come back to life! Wonder who had it in mpls? I am in the south metro and know a lot of the mopar guys around town. Great find and the best part is your Dad got to go with you. That is just awesome.

Vey cool story! I cant wait to see it come back to life! Wonder who had it in mpls? I am in the south metro and know a lot of the mopar guys around town. Great find and the best part is your Dad got to go with you. That is just awesome.

Thanks!! It was listed in MPLS craigslist but it was actually in Trego, WI

Love the car love the story. So you have a real GSS and you are putting it back to 440 as you remember it? Not to a GSS?

For now, yes. I know where the original motor (block) is. He still refuses to sell it to me. Dad thought the motor was lost until this fall when I tracked it down. Without that motor, to me, it will never be what it should be. So, my plan is to build it the way it was the only time I ever rode in it and the way I remember it. The body will stay stock. I have the correct twin scoops for a flat hood. I have the Mr Norms decals and the key chain, license plate frame, t shirt, etc that the car would have come with. I intend to reinstall the side stripes and hood blackout stripes. Interior is 100% save for carpeting. I have a set of ralley rims. So, short of the engine plate, it is close to the way I rode in it in 1982. Should the guy sell me the original block, then I will build a 6pack 340 and go back 100%. I am working on a date coded 340 block now. We will see. Thanks for the interest in my story.

Last edited:
For now, yes. I know where the original motor (block) is. He still refuses to sell it to me. Dad thought the motor was lost until this fall when I tracked it down. Without that motor, to me, it will never be what it should be. So, my plan is to build it the way it was the only time I ever rode in it and the way I remember it. The body will stay stock. I have the correct twin scoops for a flat hood. I have the Mr Norms decals and the key chain, license plate frame, t shirt, etc that the car would have come with. I intend to reinstall the side stripes and hood blackout stripes. Interior is 100% save for carpeting. I have a set of ralley rims. So, short of the engine plate, it is close to the way I ride in it in 1982. Should the guy sell me the original block, then I will build a 6pack 340 and go back 100%. I am working on a date coded 340 block now. We will see. Thanks for the interest in my story.
I get it. I have similar story with my brothers car. He passed away and now I am the care taker. He has owned it since 83. He even let me drive it to my high school back in the day. The Car is totally 70 Look. So I take a look back into it history and Find out what the car is. It ends up being One of one made. As much as it should be brought back to original there is now way I could do it.

I get it. I have similar story with my brothers car. He passed away and now I am the care taker. He has owned it since 83. He even let me drive it to my high school back in the day. The Car is totally 70 Look. So I take a look back into it history and Find out what the car is. It ends up being One of one made. As much as it should be brought back to original there is now way I could do it.

What car is it? Pics? More of the story? That is awesome (short of the loss of your brother, sorry)

Not a Mopar But A special car to me
1968 GTO 400 HO 4 speed Special order endure bumper delete car and special ordered color. It's the only one this color and a long list of options. The one with the for sale sign in it is how he bought it in 83. Time went on and it needed paint, that was done but never got to put the air bush back. So I bin thinking about putting them back on.

fullsizeoutput_1c8f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20b5.jpeg

71 GSS, what's that guys hang up on your Dads original block?? I dont get it.
Really nice car Dave. Stories like that keep US going.

I am not sure really. It is built into a high horse power stroker with low miles. I offered another 340. He hasn't bit yet. His friends, brother and sister are all on board to help get it back where it belongs. I will try and stop by his house this weekend when we are up there for Christmas.

Last edited:
Not a Mopar But A special car to me
1968 GTO 400 HO 4 speed Special order endure bumper delete car and special ordered color. It's the only one this color and a long list of options. The one with the for sale sign in it is how he bought it in 83. Time went on and it needed paint, that was done but never got to put the air bush back. So I bin thinking about putting them back on.

View attachment 1715264978

View attachment 1715264991

Sounds like a special car. It is a double edged sword like mine. As much as a 100% restored GSS would be, but also I only rode 1 time...the day he sold it. All I ever heard about was the race days. I really want to put the stripes back on, the twin scooped hood versus the dual scooped hood, ralley wheels in front, black steel wheels in back, side exit exhaust, built 440, fenderwell headers, manual valve body, etc. That is the way the car is most special to me.

I have a 71 Demon that I bought in October of 1970. Still the original owner. Never left me. Planning on putting it back to stock Bright Blue this summer. I a1965so have a 64 GTO I bought in 1965. It was a new left over at the dealer. Looking for a Demon Picture. Will find it and post one. This is the GTO though.
150410_10150903242544222_575282145_n.jpg
150410_10150903242544222_575282145_n.jpg
560565_10150903244454222_1570217858_n.jpg

-
Back