new member needs help

-

karwash

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm Karwash (pretty close to my last name) Gary, first name.
I purchased a 1966 Plymouth Valiant 100 wagon about a year ago. The car is in average shape for it's age. Assembled in Mexico if that makes any difference. Looks decent until you look real close. I believe it is a 170 slant six with 3 on the tree. It was running pretty good until a few months ago. It started stalling at idle. Now when it warms up it stalls at idle and is very hard to start (like it is flooded). I have to let it sit for about 10 minutes before it will start again. I thought vaccum leak but I can't seem to find anything. Changed carb, all hoses, intake-exhaust gasket, fuel pump, tune up. When the car is going down the road is runs pretty good but seams to loose power after running for awhile.
I am not an experienced mechanic. I could use some ideas on where to look.
I love the wagon and plan to fully restore as time and money permits. I use it as a daily driver but the stalling makes it a real challenge...
Help!!!
Gary:burnout:

3 things make a engine run... Compression, Fuel and Spark... Install a see through plastic fuel filter to be able to know that it has fuel when it gets hot to help you figure it out.. When it stops running pull a plug wire and put a screw driver into the end of it on the engine side of the wire and crank the engine over while holding the wire close to something metal causing it to jump to ground, to see if there is spark.. If it has spark it will take that one off the list... My guess is a vapor lock is your problem, You say it acts like its flooded... Does it smell like gas? Maybe a choke issue if so, so check that the choke butterfly isn't to closed as the choke pull of maybe junk... I think it's caused by a pluged gas filter, or week or defective fuel pump even though new or a restriction in the fuel line if there is no gas smell... This is just my opinion... Welcome to one of the greatest Mopar sites out there... John(onecatnodog)Collins

had a 1941 dodge 1 time, same thing, going a long slow down then stall, let set, start right up, deive a few moles, stall, i founf thatin the fuel line from tank, there was a few pieces of old rubber gas hose, i had to run from tank, to the fuel pump, a new line!! inside of hose, it wood suck pieces, to close off, then would open up, an old farmer came along and told me what he thought, the car had ben in barn for many years!! try that , have a good day 66 barr, bo from il..

have you checked or replaced the ignition points? they may be dirty,or not set correctly, gap to big or to small, timing off
an electronic ignition conversion is a good idea for a daily driver, it will make the car run better, start easier, and can improve fuel mileage, once installed and set it requires no further maintenance or periodic adjustment like points

-
Back