New Mopar Mini Starter Grinding (Clicking)

-

Criscobath

Reaction score
I have a new Mopar Mini Starter on my Mopar 360ci/380hp crate. It's had about a 100 starts w/ no problems. Then yesterday after stopping for gas, it wouldn't start. It sounds like the starter isn't engaging. I haven't checked to see if any of the starter bolts are loose as my jack won't fit under my newly lowered car (need a low profile jack).

The odd thing, I hooked some jumper cables to the battery (trunk mounted) and the car cranked without hesitation.

What do you think the issue is? The starter or the charging system?

I could really use some help. Thanks!

Sounds like a loose wire or ground. The jump would put it over the top.
Or as you suspect, the battery could be low on juice.

How about a rundown on how it is wired up? How long has it been wired this way and working? I don't mean the new starter, I mean the wiring in general?

How do you have the block grounded? Separate ground all the way back, or ground to the body?

If you didn't run a separate ground wire front to rear, how/ what size grounds at each end? How long since you've cleaned terminals/ connections?

What size wire?

How is the solenoid wired, stock start relay, or the every--"popular" "Ferd" relay in the trunk, etc?

Did you check the charging voltage?

These and many other questions..........

Thanks for the assistance, guys.

The car has been wired this way for about 5 months. All parts are new. It's a Moroso battery relocation kit. The block is grounded to the body. The terminals and connections are clean and spotless. Not sure of the size of the grounds and wire (came w/ kit). I have a Ford relay in the engine compartment. I haven't checked the charging voltage.

I hope to have some time on Sunday to track the issue. I've been busy w/ work since the issue came about.

Thanks again for the help!

The Wal Mart battery was the culprit. However, I still need a new coil since I snapped one of the terminals off tightening it too hard.

-
Back