New Mopar Performance electronic distributor problem??

-

Reaction score
Trying to put in my new conversion kit and found something puzzling. Pulled out the old original points distributor. And on it the rotor button lines up with the flat drive tip on the bottom pretty close to perfect. On the new Mopar performance distributor the rotor button is off about one cylinder in the clockwise direction. I checked and the advance is working on both and not stuck. I would think they should both point the same, or did Mopar change this at some point??? Thanks!!!

I bot one of these kits,and the dizzy was the same way.bout 45 degrees out...the co that i bot it from said to run it one tooth off ,,a couple old ones i have are in line with the rotor..,i didnt want to do that,so i asked for a diff one and he said all of the ones he has are like this..seems like all of them are from outside the us are like this..i asked for my money back...he didnt like this but he returned it...only thing is, i lost first shipping and shipping back to him.. good luck..j

no such thing as one tooth off on a mopar...as long as the rotor at number 1 matches number 1 on the cap...

you can move the intermediate shaft around to anywhere you want it...and that controls where the rotor points...

as per FSM...the slot should point at the driver side from intake bolt went a TDC....it that put the rotor over 45 degrees on the mp distributor...just move the intermediate shaft to put the rotor where you want it...

use a large flat screwdriver...turn clockwise...and walk the shaft around...

I went ahead and put it on as is. Must just be the early points distributors that are in line, as I went to a buddies house and checked 3 factory electronic SB distributors he had laying around. Every one of them was about one cylinder off from my points distributor, just like the new one. Turns out pretty well as it puts the vacuum canister off to the passengers side, were the old points one pointed forward.

doesnt hurt to run a dist one off,but if you have a couple dizzys you are running in a motor then tha ey both or all have to be like this or one is changing gear position every dist swap...not the way to be in my opinion...if they arnt built right, they arn right..j

Ran into that here too with a new MP distributor...don't like it!
I shouldnt have to move the plug wires around on the cap or the drive gear.!!!
Not built right in my opinion!

-
Back