New Motorcycle Project

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I just picked this up last night. No engine, but everything else is there and the price was right (super cheap). 1978 KZ 650D SR.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0969.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 359
Cool, I've had a couple gpz's 80 & 81.

Attachments

• red kawi 002.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 361
  • tom,truck 001.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 339
I'm working on getting a 68 triumph.

Attachments

• image-61668591.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 347
  • image-1594931143.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 377
Cool old bike back in the day, what was the top speed on that 650 8-) ? Congratulations on a great project :cheers:

I'm working on getting a 68 triumph.

Potential project for you? Not yours yet?

Cool old bike back in the day, what was the top speed on that 650 8-) ? Congratulations on a great project :cheers:

Thanks Mike! 115 stock in my experience. Add a good tune and a header, they'll do 12.7-12.8 at the strip at 100+ assuming sea level (under a 1000'). My KZ650 dragbike would do a corrected 12.2-12.4 with KZ750 cams, head angle milled and my valve job and porting.

Nice...The early-'80s Kawasaki and Suzuki four-cylinder bikes were great. That one definitely looks like a project...

My first real motorcycle was an '84 KZ550-F2 LTD. Loved it. Being 6'2", I didn't fit very well on it and traded it in on an '03 Suzuki SV650...Missed the absolute smoothness of the little four.

My brother has always been a Kawie guy. He's had a couple of 650's and a 900. His latest is a GPZ1100, black and gold. Nice bikes. Good luck with your project!!

Nice...The early-'80s Kawasaki and Suzuki four-cylinder bikes were great. That one definitely looks like a project...

My first real motorcycle was an '84 KZ550-F2 LTD. Loved it. Being 6'2", I didn't fit very well on it and traded it in on an '03 Suzuki SV650...Missed the absolute smoothness of the little four.

Yep, basket case. I'm not worried in the slightest though, used to be my profession.

My brother has always been a Kawie guy. He's had a couple of 650's and a 900. His latest is a GPZ1100, black and gold. Nice bikes. Good luck with your project!!

Thanks Brian!

Cool bike Joe....Congrats on the find!! Here's a pic of our friend's recently restored Z1-R. I don't know much about bikes, but he was stoked to show it :D

Attachments

• Jon's Kawi 005 (Small).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 308
This is the reason why my stroker engine didn't get built LAST winter. We spent all of our time and money resto-modding this 84 RZ350 two stroke. It is a stroker though...

20121006_131505.jpg

Cool bike Joe....Congrats on the find!! Here's a pic of our friend's recently restored Z1-R. I don't know much about bikes, but he was stoked to show it :D

Oh my! C, that is quite the rare beast! Your friend did an absolutely beautiful job on the restoration down to the correct seat upolstery. :cheers:

Thems all nice bikes...only had 2 in my life. 83 V30 Magna was my 1st, and 82(I think) KZ750

Fun bikes!

This is the reason why my stroker engine didn't get built LAST winter. We spent all of our time and money resto-modding this 84 RZ350 two stroke. It is a stroker though...

20121006_131505.jpg

Nice job, beautiful restoration Brian! The counterman where I worked had the Kenny Roberts version of that bike and it screamed! :burnout: Nothing like the smell of 2-stroke engine in the morning.

Nice job, beautiful restoration Brian! The counterman where I worked had the Kenny Roberts version of that bike and it screamed! :burnout: Nothing like the smell of 2-stroke engine in the morning.

Thanks! I have wanted a KR RZ350 since they were new. I found this one with a blown engine in the next state over. I met a guy locally who specializes in RZ's and the project kinda snowballed. He used my project to showcase his porting and engine building skills and he says it is the fastest RZ he has ever built . I even made a friend and riding buddy out of the deal!!!

Nice project bike! If you hold your head just right...and squint one eye a little, it LOOKS like a ZX9R motor would fit right in there! :D I had a 95 ZX9R that would about pull your arms out of their sockets!

Thanks! I have wanted a KR RZ350 since they were new. I found this one with a blown engine in the next state over. I met a guy locally who specializes in RZ's and the project kinda snowballed. He used my project to showcase his porting and engine building skills and he says it is the fastest RZ he has ever built . I even made a friend and riding buddy out of the deal!!!

Funny how that happens. :) Motorcycles bring people together.

Not mine yet. One guy I work with owns it and I'm helping him finish an el camino that he's restoring. When the car is done he's giving the bike to me.

Sweet! That'll be a great day, be sure to post when you get it!

Nice find. Congrats. :thumbup:

Thanks Frankie!

Sweet Joe! It'll be fun following this build.

Going Cafe' Racer style on this one.

Nice project bike! If you hold your head just right...and squint one eye a little, it LOOKS like a ZX9R motor would fit right in there! :D I had a 95 ZX9R that would about pull your arms out of their sockets!

You're right, the ZX9R has arm dismemberment capability. :D Engine options are still open. An early 80's KZ750 four will drop right in, I have a KZ650 engine laying around but it has a frozen cylinder. Who knows what else might fit? :burnout: I might even bore out the 650 to a 700 and add a turbo and fuel injection....

deleted, sorry my bad:banghead:

Attachments

• P4231823.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 165
  • misc 313.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 179
  • tom,truck,bike 004.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 193
  • misc 199.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 187
That's a sweet ride there pcd! But with all due respect, the last post was just in February, Joe's been busting his butt at work almost constantly and probably hasn't had a lot of time to work on it, and a hijack off his project would just fade the focus of the thread. If you start another one I'll certainly jump in though -- the second PSC Bike Build is ready to show off too. :-D

20121006_131505.jpg

Nice bike I love themit looks really clean!

I bought a 86 RZ350 brand new what a bike I still dream of it and have thought many times about getting another. They were meant to be driven easily pull a three gear wheelie and nothing on a twisty road could keep up!Loads of fun but I had to sell mine I was getting too crazy and too comfortable on it and having too many close calls.They aren't a bike that you drive around at 3 grand they beg to be driven.........boy I still miss it!

-
Back