New MSD E-Curve Distributor install, review, and pics

-

autoxcuda

Reaction score
I tested out the MSD E-curve and the Denso 102mm alternator in the temporary 360 motor that is in my Barracuda last Sunday.

The MSD E-curve was really too tall for an 67-76 A-body with 3 speed wiper. The wire boots are only 1/2" away from the wiper motor housing. To remove the cap or distributor, you have to remove a couple wires to get access. Also this is very close to shorting out a plug wire, IMHO.

This distributor housing is special to the Small Block mopar, all they had to do was make it 1/2-1" shorter. Completely stupid that MSD does not R&D thier parts enough to spot something like this. IMHO, they just pissed off 20% of thier market (50% A-body, 1/3 of that w/3 speed wipers)

I've seen ARengineering run an E-curve on a 68 Valiant with 2 speed wiper motor and it was OK clearance.

Timing was as solid as you could get with 20K mile small block timing chain and no chain tensioner. The wiring was simple and very clean.

Attachments

• 2_27_11Sm02.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,571
  • 2_27_11Sm03.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 1,453
  • 2_27_11Sm11.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,607
  • 2_27_11Sm13.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,376
A picture showing some of the guts to the E-curve dist.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of PICT3592.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,383
Instead of using the the tower cap, you can use the socket cap and gain more clearance.

Instead of using the the tower cap, you can use the socket cap and gain more clearance.

Does MSD sell a socket cap for this distributor?

Does thier cap have a stock application that fit thier distributors also?

Yeah but those socket caps the wires stick up, I have an B body car and have no problems, the wiper motor it to the side.

MSD doesn't care about A body owners. Its all China and costs now. They likely use the same molds for every dist. Making one 1" shorter would cost money.

Anybody ever moved their wiper motor over, lol. Or a smaller motor if anybody makes one.

I used a wiper motor out of a 2006 dodge charger and mounted it under the dash, and welded up that hole...but it was pretty elaborate and was a lot of work, had to make a bracket and such...I only did it cuz I'm somewhat smoothing my firewall...which is also a pain in the ***..

I used a wiper motor out of a 2006 dodge charger and mounted it under the dash, and welded up that hole...but it was pretty elaborate and was a lot of work, had to make a bracket and such...I only did it cuz I'm somewhat smoothing my firewall...which is also a pain in the ***..

Hey that is thinking outside the box, very cool. That does sound neat, moving the wiper motor behind the firewall.

AutoX do you think the E-curve is the same height as the standard billet Dist. MSD makes? I had a MSD billet dist. in my Cuda and it was somewhat close to the wiper motor but not as bad as yours but my car only has a 2 spd motor. I was planning on getting the e-curve in a month or 2 but if it's taller than the billet model I don't want it.

AutoX do you think the E-curve is the same height as the standard billet Dist. MSD makes? I had a MSD billet dist. in my Cuda and it was somewhat close to the wiper motor but not as bad as yours but my car only has a 2 spd motor. I was planning on getting the e-curve in a month or 2 but if it's taller than the billet model I don't want it.

I'll go out to the garage and get a measurement.....

4" from the block to the bottom of the cap (where cap and housing meet).

8 3/8" from the block to the tip of the male cap plug tower post.

I just added a msd dist like yours to my car. Did you find the cap to be loose? Mine seems to be loose and I don't think that is right.
Thanks

I just added a msd dist like yours to my car. Did you find the cap to be loose? Mine seems to be loose and I don't think that is right.
Thanks

Mine seems to fit real positive.

That's exactly 1" taller than my MSD Billet dist. No wonder you have clearance issues. I bet it'd be a problem in mine too even though my car has the 2 spd. wiper motor. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Thanks

The cap on my billet dist. is kinda loose. It uses chevy type hold downs. I see there are screw holes to change to a screw down type cap and a buddy of mine said he cut the junk chevy type hold downs off and put screws in it and that made it fit real nice and tight.

Hey Tracy, on your MSD billet, is your base plastic where your cap bolts to? JW, because mine is also plastic...Not that it matters..

Yep, that is 1" taller than the standard billet...Kinda sucks, I wonder how it'd fit in my 68 cuda, with a 2 speed wiper motor...

That's exactly 1" taller than my MSD Billet dist. No wonder you have clearance issues. I bet it'd be a problem in mine too even though my car has the 2 spd. wiper motor. Thanks a bunch for the info.

I was thinking of going using the E-curve instead of the FBO ignition I Have...Not sure now....

Hey Tracy, on your MSD billet, is your base plastic where your cap bolts to? JW, because mine is also plastic...Not that it matters..

Yep, that is 1" taller than the standard billet...Kinda sucks, I wonder how it'd fit in my 68 cuda, with a 2 speed wiper motor...

I was thinking of going using the E-curve instead of the FBO ignition I Have...Not sure now....

Yep mines plastic too. Not sure you'd actually gain much except being able to tune it easier. Don sets them up pretty good.

Well it seem that 67-76 A-body with 2 speed wipers probably will have to remove plug wires to make E-curve adjustments on the car. AndyF used one in a 68 Valiant with 2 speed wipers and had this issue too.

Is there some reason this distributor is 1" taller than their other billet MSD's?? A good reason would make me feel better.

Of course now I find this post on their site:
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12848
This was the MSD tech's response...

"1)on the height issue, unfortunately the distributor is 8 3/8 tall. which if you do a search or look in a catalog it will list all the specs.

and check that isse of the clearance issue with the firewall and throttle first."

It's $377 distributor. That's $170 extra (almost double) over thier non E-curve model that is shorter and has good access for adjustment!!

It wouldn't bother me if this was just one of thier regular pro billet distributor. But THE KEY feature of the E-curve they brag about is quick and easy adjustment. And the fact that at least 1/2 of the potential market is effected by this design issue.

Well its not 50%, many trucks have SBM in them up til around 1992.

The A body has a tight engine compartment.

Once the dist is set there is no need to fuss with it again. Guess you could just remove the wiper motor for a few days til you get the timing curve and rev limiter set where you think it should be.

Well its not 50%, many trucks have SBM in them up til around 1992.

The A body has a tight engine compartment.

Once the dist is set there is no need to fuss with it again. Guess you could just remove the wiper motor for a few days til you get the timing curve and rev limiter set where you think it should be.

I'm saying 50% of the potential market. I'm sure a lot more will be sold for cars than in trucks. I bet 40% Ebody and some B-body. 10% truck. 50% A-body. Now I know there are a lot more A-body small blocks than E-body small blocks, but IHMO, E-body guys are more willing to spend $377 on a distributor than A-body guys. But there are probably 10x as many A-body owners.

I understand what you are saying. And I can manage to live with it.

It's just that they are getting nearly double for this distributor. Why should I have to "manage" around that? At least they could do a little research and check fitment. Just a 1/2" lower might do the trick.

There is a huge influx in the distributor market of offshore stuff within the past few years. I know of one guy that makes a living on it. And there are many others on E-bay and swap meets. A lot of units sold. If you want people to buy american and pay top dollar for you stuff, you should have your ducks in a row.

Well it seem that 67-76 A-body with 2 speed wipers probably will have to remove plug wires to make E-curve adjustments on the car. AndyF used one in a 68 Valiant with 2 speed wipers and had this issue too.

Is there some reason this distributor is 1" taller than their other billet MSD's?? A good reason would make me feel better.

Of course now I find this post on their site:
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12848
This was the MSD tech's response...

"1)on the height issue, unfortunately the distributor is 8 3/8 tall. which if you do a search or look in a catalog it will list all the specs.

and check that isse of the clearance issue with the firewall and throttle first."

It's $377 distributor. That's $170 extra (almost double) over thier non E-curve model that is shorter and has good access for adjustment!!

It wouldn't bother me if this was just one of thier regular pro billet distributor. But THE KEY feature of the E-curve they brag about is quick and easy adjustment. And the fact that at least 1/2 of the potential market is effected by this design issue.

Man that sure is annoying when they don't research stuff enough to see potential problems. If it were a $50 E-bay e-cheepo dist. you could understand it but when it's a nearly $400 dist. it sure makes a diff. And the issue of them STILL being clocked wrong after all this time that they've been building them is another annoyance. Gotta love the response he gave the guy about the height problem. :wack:

Yeah but those socket caps the wires stick up, I have an B body car and have no problems, the wiper motor it to the side.

MSD doesn't care about A body owners. Its all China and costs now. They likely use the same molds for every dist. Making one 1" shorter would cost money.

Anybody ever moved their wiper motor over, lol. Or a smaller motor if anybody makes one.

They make 90 deg. boots for socket caps. Yes, MSD has socket caps for their distributors (I think it's the same as a 57 to 74 Chevy).

AAAAANNNNDDDDD, as far as the China thing goes.....
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275621&page=7

I will still use and support MSD products. They work for me and I have always had good service for them.

Thanks for the heads up on the new E-curves. That could save quite a few headaches.

finally a product made for the early A,,, wiper motor in side under the dash,,,just kidding,,i wonder if that disszy is as good or better the nthe billet with a msd 6 ? its all contained no out side brain required ??

finally a product made for the early A,,, wiper motor in side under the dash,,,just kidding,,i wonder if that disszy is as good or better the nthe billet with a msd 6 ? its all contained no out side brain required ??

It does not have multiple spark. You can add an MSD box to this E-curve though.

It does have a rev limiter though.

So the benefit of this dizzy is that you can adjust the curve electronically? (Instead of the old spring and weight circus?)

-
Back