new on the forum.... 1973 dart swinger 225 /6..

-

73niarffe69

Reaction score
Hi I'm new on the forum I stay out in orange county (92780) CA. D
Recently my distributor took a dump (bent shaft) on my 1973 dart swinger so got myself a new one from orielly for just around $50.. so I go to put my engine otdc mark on crank pully lines up with 0 and even had one of my buddies turn the crank by hand to make sure cylinder 1 was at its highest point! And it lookesd like it was to me.. then I set distributor in with rotor pointing at right before spark plug #1 and also tried setting it exactly on dead point of spark plug #1 both times I tried cranking and nothing! At times it sounded like it wanted to start for a quick second then just kept crancking with no signs of wanting to stsrt again!

Engine is stock other than the hei module I installed into it and full emissions delete I did.

I'm kind of stuck here a bit if anyone can help I would very much appreciate it!! O:)

I'm a 23 year old dad that since I had my first car at 15 I always refused to take my car to the mechanics and instead figure it out myself!! Cus I've always wanted to work on cars since I was was always working with my dad when I was a small kid then later when I was 11 he ended up passing and I didn't have anyone to do car / semi truck work with anymore, so at about middle school I started hanging out at some tire shop near my house where they also did automotive repair and built there own classic cars so I would always help them out with whatever I could. Later in my life at about 15 I started working at a boat shop after I got out of school. starting out keeping shop clean helping mechanic out grabing tools etc then learned how to do do spark plugs wires cap n rotor points etc on boats (I was loving it since it involved an engine) then at about 17 I decided to get closer towards working on cars so I found an automatic transmission shop that was willing to let me work with them being under the age. Guy is a great guy until this day one of my closest buddies. I right away started assisting him on dropping and installing automatic transmissions on cars vans trucks anything really I assisted him for about 2 months after that I found myself dropping and installing transmissions by myself. At this point of my life I found myself the happiest I had ever been since my father had passed. After been dropping transmissons for abt 6 months by myself the shop owner thought me how to do more engine work and how to diagnose a problem n stuff like that. After this shop I've met abt 12 mechanics that I've became good friends....

That was a lil about me, probably a lil too much but yeah here we go!
I know I can easily call up one of my mechanic friends and they would be at my place in no time but I wanna see how it is being part of forabodies only and sure hope to keep making more good friends.

I would very much appreciate anyones help with what I had described in beginning of post.

Thanks and hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Welcome! This is a great site and I bet you will get a lot of help here. I am not even near the mechanic that most of these guys are but I have virtually the same car. Mines a 1975. Here are mt guesses ...jumped time...what bent the distributor shaft would have me wondering. Are you sure you are on the compression stroke? Any way I loved your story just keep moving forward. Have a great time here.

Without a timing light, you'll be best served by either a remote starter switch (or helper) and crank it while turning the distributor. If the timing is your only problem, you will find a spot where it will start.

Welcome, it's time to get a factory service manual for your car.
You will never regret it.

-
Back