New one on me, funny 'n weird

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ELxfImQ3bo"]Starting an OLD Volvo as done in the old days. - YouTube[/ame]

LMAO. Never ceases to amaze, what you "learn" on th' YouTube

Back in the day, in really cold weather, when trying to start an old engine I've used hair dryer to get heat into the cylinder prior to the engine firing, but never thought about using an open flame.

I suppose that's how you preheat a cold cylinder when you don't have electricity available. :scratch".

Long gone older members of my family told of "lighting a fire" under a rig to get it going on a cold day. Of course at least one story involved nearly burning the car up

Antifreeze used to be a "thing." Early antifreeze included various "home remedies" including kerosene for coolant. Alcohol was one commercial product. Problem of course, is that it boiled off, leaving..............water

A hair drier in the air intake is an old diesel stating trick. X2 on the old stories about burning a fire under a motor to warm it up, dad is from rural Minnesota and has lots of cold weather stories.

Long gone older members of my family told of "lighting a fire" under a rig to get it going on a cold day. Of course at least one story involved nearly burning the car up

Antifreeze used to be a "thing." Early antifreeze included various "home remedies" including kerosene for coolant. Alcohol was one commercial product. Problem of course, is that it boiled off, leaving..............water

Common practice in Northern Idaho.

Most of this happened long before "my kin" came to this part of the country. All my Mom's kin were from Kansas / Colorado, and my Dad's was originally from there, then Burbank, CA, and came up here from LA in the early 30s My Gramps was a carpenter from a very young age, 12 or so. He came up here and eventually made a career out of USFS carpenter. He's built many of the (many now gone) fire towers up here, and some of them twice

One of Gramps early projects was to build what became the log Ranger Station at Priest lake, and is now a museum up there. He was supervisor of the project. He also helped remodel a work boat on priest. There were 4 large "portholes" in the cabin. My Mom, my aunts, and one of my Grandmothers had the cores out of these holes as chopping boards when I was a kid

The "Clear Jo" under construction

6B4ADFF8-9B36-4792-A1D8-414389020080.jpg

Our family, for years had a nice big print of this in the living room

ajaxhelper

The old Ranger Station, now the museum

IMG_19.jpg

I know Dad probably had seen these especially the ranger station. He logged in and around Priest Lake , worked in the pole yards for Diamond Match co. and later CCC camp during the war. I loved His stories.

Big guy in the picture is my Grandpa He was Marshal of Priest River.

Attachments

• 10294282_10203153346623525_790749722012849307_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 191
Oh, LOL isn't THAT interestin' The deer looks comfortable!!!

Deer was a young Doe that came into town for hand outs. Grandpa was later shot while arresting a guy that was wanted back east. He was shot through the groin ,fell on top the guy and split his head open with His sap . The Doc stitched them both up on the side walk. Half inch the wrong way and I probably wouldn't be telling this story.

Dear was a young Doe that came into town for hand outs. Grandpa was later shot while arresting a guy that was wanted back east. He was shot through the groin ,fell on top the guy and split his head open with His sap . The Doc stitched them both up on the side walk. Half inch the wrong way and I probably wouldn't be telling this story.

Here's my "Priest River" story. In the last year of high school, and the two years before I joined the Navy, I was a "dispatcher" for the Sandpoint PD. I worked graveyard. One afternoon -- evening, a buddy and I were just wasting time. We had driven up to PR for no good reason, don't remember. We were in town on a dark, cold, rainy fall night, probably about this time of year, would have been fall of 66 or 67. So, about 8PM in PR. You came steep down hill off the highway into "downtown." There was a stop sign there, and a cafe diagonally across the street.

The thing is, I'd just bought this car from a kid from S Dakota, and had not yet got the title. It still had the SD plate. We stopped at the stop sign for probably nearly 1/2 minute eyeballing the cafe, trying to decide if they were closing, or still open. Hard to say. We finally drove through and parked, and were walking towards the cafe

Here comes the town cop. He says to me like this:

"Say, I see you boys are outta town. You ran that stop sign over there, but if you jus' get right back in your car and keep going, I'll let it go."

I used to be rather quiet and non agressive as a kid, but something popped. I looked him right in the eye and got up right in his face

"I'll have you know we stopped for a length of time at that sign. Further, I was born and raised in Sandpoint, and my boss is the Chief of Police. In fact, I'm due at work later tonight. We are gonna go have coffee, and when we are done, we'll leave."

With that I turned on my heel and walked off. My buddy could not believe it. For all I know LMAO that cop is still standin' right there.

The "scene of the crime," LOL. The small brick building, at the time, was the city PD. It is right across the street from the cafe. I can't tell what the cafe is nowadays. This is on Main St just off the highway at the corner of High St.

Attachments

• PRPD.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 172
  • PRcafe.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 185
I know Dad probably had seen these especially the ranger station. He logged in and around Priest Lake , worked in the pole yards for Diamond Match co. and later CCC camp during the war. I loved His stories.

Hard to say, my Dad and Gramps could have crossed your Dad's path. Both of them worked with the CCC for awhile. Both worked at Farragut, Dad before he went off to war. I don't know just when Gramps became a USFS employee. Someplace, one of my aging Aunt's has a list of towers and mountain tops on which he worked

Dad and Gramps both built one of the towers on Roman Nose, which was finally took down by either vandalls or weather.

Gramps built TWO towers on Gisborne (used to be Looking Glass) I was 12? or so when we went up to see the new tower, nearly complete.

This website says the "new" tower was built in 58 so I'd have been about 10 when I was there

http://www.nhlr.org/lookouts/Lookout.aspx?id=173

The old tower was still up and in use some distance away. Many of the towers he built / repaired /rebuilt are long gone. Used to be a cabin and visual aircraft beacon on Mt Coeur d Alene, and he did some work up there, I think rebuilding / repair on the cabin. Then, it had a "day" tower and a ground cabin below. You could see the beacon for miles going back to Sandpoint at night.

This website has a lot of stuff on the tower sites up here

http://www.firelookout.com/id/cda.html

More then likely they did know each other. Priest river isn't that big. Dad fought several fires near the boarder . Dad was a gad about, loved to visit, also made a pretty good name for himself in football and basketball. I need to get back up there before the developers completely destroy the area.

When we lived in Minnesota I carpooled with a buddy who would go out for his smoke break at about three and light a handful of briquettes in a hibachi and slide it under his Fiesta's oil pan. This was one of those cars where the snow would pack up under the floor mat while you drove forming a hump under your feet. We'd leave work and he'd dump the coals into a snow bank and drop the grill by a light post so he could find it and off we'd go. Started every time.

I love this video. What a gas!

Occasionally my grandfather tells me stories about placing Lanterns under the oil pan of a vehicle for cold weather starting. Using Kerosene for Antifreeze. Running Tires inside Tires. Tin Cans for Bearing Shims/Spacers on Flathead 6's.

My grandfather even has a Dual Fuel Farm Tractor from the early 1900's that runs on Gasoline and Diesel/Kerosene (Starts on Gas, switch to Diesel, then switch back to gas before shutting it down).

His old John Deere Bulldozer doesn't have Glow Plugs, so what did ol' John Deere do for those diesels? They installed a canister under the seat that holds a can of Starting Fluid (Factory design I might add) with a hose that runs to the intake manifold

My grandfather even has a Dual Fuel Farm Tractor from the early 1900's that runs on Gasoline and Diesel/Kerosene (Starts on Gas, switch to Diesel, then switch back to gas before shutting it down).

I've heard this called "distillate." I think it was close to kerosene but lighter that D2 at least

Many (most?) of the old tractors of the 20's and 30's did this, old Farmalls and Deere, anyhow. The tipoff is a small fuel tank along with the main one. Our family tractor when I grew up was a "Farmall Regular."

This was taken around 03 or so, I had gotten it running before we sold it.

attachment.php

Here's a little Lindeman Deere, something I'd love to have. You can see the gas starting tank at the rear

0.jpg

This is something I've never seen.........a Farmall with rear fenders. You can see the gas starting tank to the rear of the main. We never used this with ours, just always ran it on gas

05.12.09%20004%5B1%5D.jpg

Here's one for ya not sure of the make , might be an old Case.

Attachments

• 062 (640x480) (2).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 66
Looks like a case to me. Shortly after I got out of the Navy in 74, Dad bought "a bunch" of stuff from a local farmer. Dad wanted a nice plow they had, and the farmer told Dad "he had to take it all." With the stuff was an old case, had been parked for at least 20 years that the owner knew of. Had no can over the exhaust, but did have a small hole at the bottom of the exhaust elbow. It was miraculous.........the engine had been re-sleeved, and had nearly NO rust in the cylinders. Amazing.

Dad found a brand new updraft carb (missing) off a 20' something old car, which we adapted. Had to buy a new mag. Dad ordered a decal set and painted it. Crank start. It had a huge engine, and a lot of power. No hydraulics. I don't remember the model of it anymore

1izytg.jpg

The above photo was taken from an aging 35mm slide on a "home built" slide copier, consisting of an adapted (modified) bellows off a Pentax, and an adapted Tamron manual lens

Attachments

• copier.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 78
-
Back