new owner of 67 dart need conversion help

-

ss67gtsdart

Reaction score
hello i just got a 67 dart 270 gt with all gts parts from another dart.so its a 67 gts clone i guess.it has the six with auto.trying to get ideas on simple,best affordable way to convert to a v8.i was told like 72-76 a body cars is way to go buy a whole car and start swapping.and is there any secrets i need to no when i do convert like will all factory wiring work fuel,k frame,anything else.any help apreciated thank you.i have always wanted to fix up a 67-69 dart v8 .thanks:lol:

If you want disk brakes and the later big bolt pattern wheels, I'd get a later disk brake V8 car and swap the whole K in there, coupla reasons forthat

If you get a 73?74? car you get the later spool mounts, and if you get a V8 car you won't have to use aftermarket "swap" mounts to convert

You'll get the parts you need for the disk brake conversion, and if you're lucky, come up with at least an 8 1/4 rear axle you can use

One BIG thing is that the 67 idler arm is a one-year only deal and are expensive, so by going to the later K member, you "cure" that problem. All that is a bolt in.

Where are you located? I have a 8 1/4 axle I won't be using, but it's 2.7x gears, you can have it. I'm in Coeur d Alene.

I've seen several Duster/ Demons etc on the Spokane Craigslist, so they're out there. Even if you had to settle for a /6 K the later one would "cure" the idler arm problem and you'd have to either weld/ modify the K for V8 mounts, or else use aftermarket mounts, but that's not the end of the world, either.

trying to get ideas on simple,best affordable way to convert to a v8.

Schumacher mounts are the quickest and easiest way to put a V8 where your /6 is now. The previous owner of my car used them, and I haven't had a real reason to swap them out yet.

A67LA6.jpg

Schumacher link

thank you for the replys i am not sure on the conversion years.there is a 73 valiant 318 auto car on CL for 1500.i would like to get the k-member+torsion bars,motor,trans,disk brakes and rear end.will that year work for what i am trying to do and is there any hidden modifacations i might run in to.do you think thats a fair price for v8 valiant.i need so much i figure if i get a complete car and its a straight forward swap probly be cheaper then piecing it together.thank you for all the help

1500 for the car- hmmm sounds like it may be what you are looking for..A whole car would be the easiest... and you would pay much more piecing it together part by part. Find a 4-door rust bucket that has a 318 in it... If you find a 1973+ car (like it looks like you have) with disc brakes, you will have an 8 1/4rear you can swap out and the front discs you can swap too. That will also give you the large bolt pattern for the wheels as well as the V8 K, center link, and all other steering accessories... hey, thinking about it, you will be replacing the whole underneath of the car (as well as the disc brake master cylinder).

1500 is too much for a car you are just going to part out, but you have the right idea. The smallest rear in the /6 cars is a 7 1/4, next up in some /6 and 318 cars is 8 1/4, a completely usable rear axle.

You can take your original and the later rear springs apart and "build" a set of mixed leafs to stiffen up the rear, and it surely will have at least "one step up" better torsion bars. That plus the K member, front disc brakes, and get rid of the 67 only idle is a good plan. It's all "bolt in."

I'd look for a cheaper car, but that IS the right idea.

Well, if you're going to do GTS "clone", then 73-76 disks aren't correct, neither is an 8.25" rearend, or a newer spool mount K.

If you use those parts, you aren't building a '67 GTS clone...you're just building a street machine, which is just fine, if thats what you want.

"Clone" means using original, year-correct GTS parts on a non-GTS body.

Just my opinion.......

I await the flames!

hey thank you for the quick replys/help.yes i will be swapping the whole under carriage/more the 67 i got has bad everything besides the body so figure if i got to replace it all i might as well make it better for everything.and val i purchased the car as a clone someone put all of the 69gts parts on it im not trying to clone it (i like matching#s) and since its nothing special besides the body im just trying to do a nice little muscle car with upgrades.thank you for your opinion.eventually 1 day it will have 340,727,8 3/4 .then i would be very happy.tell then just want her better.and 1500 is the cheapest v8 Abody i have found around washington state area for now.thank you everyone for your help much apreciated.any suggestions or ideas let me know.THANK YOU will try to post some pics of it soon.thank you

-
Back