New Owner

-

Bob_B

New Duster 340 Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just picked up my first project car......... ever.
1970 Duster 340 4 Speed.

Don't know a thing, don't know where to start, don't own many tools.

And that's what will make this so much fun.

I've always loved Mopar and I decided I'm spending too much time and money on non-tangible things. I've always wanted to learn cars, so here I go.

Welcome Bob. Looks like you picked a great starting point. That Duster looks sweet!

Wecome Bob, Nice car. You found the right site and will get lots of help. Rebuilt Son's duster with him and wasted a lot of money changing things without help. This sites the place.

70 Duster (Small).JPG

69 Valiant.GIF

Welcome. Just ask and I am sure taht someone here can help. Good Luck.

Untitled 2.jpg

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

As far as plans... I think I'm going to drive it for the summer and do some research while I'm enjoying the ride and burning a little rubber.

I'd like to find out just how original the car really is.
It's a 4 speed and it has 4:10 Posi 8 3/4 rear, which may not be factory, but the engine is original and VERY strong.

The paint scheme doesn't seem like a typical Duster 340 scheme, although when I run the fender tag, (V6X V8X Y05 EN2 EK2 A62 M21 N41 N85 R11 L4X9 Tx9 B28 E55 D21 VS29H ), it makes sense. I'm just not sure about the black bumpers and wide stripe w/out the 340 logo on the back. Maybe that was 1970 typical.

It's missing a backseat (I need to go find one) and the instrument cluster was replaced with racing style gauges. I'd like to put the original cluster back if I can find which one the car really came with. Need pics!

So I have a lot of research to do before I go buy my first wrench (do they come with instructions? :book: )

I really would like to find some quality pictures of what that car looked like coming off the dealer lot. Maybe a Duster book from Plymouth or something like that.

I'm sure the search feature on the forum will help get there.

Again - I'm REALLY REALLY new at working on cars, so I may be asking a lot questions.

I'll probably look for a local club in Western Tennessee so I can pick some brains as well.

Thanks for the great welcome everyone.

ifi t had the rally dash good luck. those are not easy to find. if it had the standard dash i have a spare in the trunk of either my 68 or my scamp. if you want it let me know

i see those wide stripes a lot, on Demons and Dusters. In fact, my friends 72 Duster had one before it got repainted. I dont think it was ever factory though. It is a nice project car, are you going for the factory correct restored look or plan any mods for it, maybe race it a little?
281368_1_full.jpg

I'm not going to race it. I'd like to put it back to the factory look.
I did find a Rallye dash and gauges for it. That's a great start.

Just need to decide on a paint scheme from the 1970 models.

-
Back