new paint..1st wax help...?????

-

dust-u

Reaction score
my recently painted car is ready for its 1st coat of wax....I got the car back in oct and has set in the garage all winter...so outgassing is...or shouldnt be an issue...its base/clear...and is pretty shiny as is but i would like to give it a nice coat of wax...I am old school...so i prefer "hand glazing"..can any body guys chime in with a good product for me to use????:read2:

All the products are good now a days.

Funny story, I painted my car and it looked really nice(base/clear), then 3 days later i decided to wax it, and it looked good for about 6 months. Problem was that the paint wasn't fully cured and the wax locked in the moisture from the expanding gases. In the end my paint was bubbled and i had to repaint it, but good thing it was only a buick.

It takes paint about 6 weeks to fully cure.

if it was that cuda...you would have to sell it to me....lol.. Its been over 6 mo's...i think i am all set...no product recommends...? I heard mirror glaze is pretty good????anyone?????

I assume it has already been buffed. Then I usually use 3m hand glaze from NAPA. Alot of my body shop freinds use this. Follow directions and do small areas at a time. Should use about half a bottle on an A body. After finishing wait a while before waxing. Then I have recently used Mcguiers liquid.

There are lots of good waxes out there now. I like paste wax the best. I wax my cars once or twice year and use a spray detailer in between.

Turttle wax ICE is said to be real good.

not a big fan of the "ice" lots of silicone in it and it does not last....

not a big fan of the "ice" lots of silicone in it and it does not last....
I agree, I bought a bottle, tried it, I found it kind of hazey even after extensive hand buffing. I have still got the new bottle and will send it out free to anyone who will pay shipping. I only did a 2' square on the roof and you can still see that dang patch! I'll have to prep solve, 3m hand glaze, & wax the roof again. If you want it I'll send it to you, really!

my recently painted car is ready for its 1st coat of wax....I got the car back in oct and has set in the garage all winter...so outgassing is...or shouldnt be an issue...its base/clear...and is pretty shiny as is but i would like to give it a nice coat of wax...I am old school...so i prefer "hand glazing"..can any body guys chime in with a good product for me to use????:read2:

I bet if you take it outside on a nice sunny day and let it bake for 20-30 minutes you'd still be able to smell the solvents coming out. Not that that should be construed as advice not to wax it, you should, it's plenty aged enough.

I use BUTTER WAX on anything I paint. Your local paint store will have it! F.Y.I.,
urethane clearcoat takes 90 days to properly cure. When it comes down to buffing i use a waterbug orbital with 2000 grit soft pad taking caution not to hit the crowns and curves(finish is thin on crowns and smooth in curves).. I use a wool pad first with 3m "Perfect It" then swap to a white waffle pad with same compound. I then finish with 3m glaze and a black waffle pad....FLAWLESS FINISH !.... Then break out the Butter Wax to polish to your hearts content! lol !

-
Back