New poll - Interested in powder-coated speaker brackets?

Speaker brackets preferred in color or not?

• Hmmm.... maybe color, let's see an example

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Color, but it's out of my budget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color, but I'll do it on the cheap with a rattle can

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Heck yeah, sign me up for one

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Are you kidding - it's mostly unseen anyway

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
I already have a separate thread to discuss the front dash dual-speaker adapter brackets I make and sell (see HERE). The purpose of the poll here is to determine the level of interest in an idea I have been discussing with our resident powder coating guru CudaChick1968 (Leanna), owner of Phoenix Specialty Coatings.

We have been talking about the prospect of offering my speaker brackets powder-coated in the color of your choice, not just a limited selection of black in flat or gloss. Leanna has the ability to coat parts in thousands of custom colors, so it's very likely she has one that suits your needs. I realize there are basically two camps of car owners I am addressing here: those who are solely interested in getting their project done with the least amount of cost, and those who might consider spending a bit more to end up with something a little special or out of the ordinary (that's what customizing is all about.)

Currently, I send out the brackets in natural, unfinished, brushed aluminum. I have seen them installed as-is, while some folks have painted them black on the surface visible through the dash grille. Yes, you can see them through the windshield (see pic below.) What if you could get one in your car's paint color as an accent? Maybe you want it to be inconspicuous. That's why I'm polling you.

Many of you have already purchased one of my brackets, some of you have thought about it but aren't ready to pull the trigger yet, and quite a few of you probably don't know about them because you missed my other thread.
icon10.gif

Regardless, I would really like to hear from those of you who would actually have an interest in installing one of the brackets in your car. If you have already bought one, please answer the poll in the manner you would have if this option had been available at the time you got yours. If you never expect to want one for yourself, please resist the temptation to respond, since the final result will not affect you directly.

Leanna and I are working out the logistics of shipping and final costs. I'll update this thread as soon as we come up with final details. Thanks to all of you for your input.

Attachments

• Bracket 03.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 264
Not sure I care about color, but I am very interested in a bracket. I checked out your post and you never responded with a price. How much for one of the brackets?

I think I will order one. I have to look into speakers first. I have a 10" sub and two 6X9 boxes behind the seat. I am driving it all with a Polk Audio 2200w five channel amp. I need to find some 3.5 speakers that can take some juice. Have there been any issues with the wiper linkage hitting the magnets?

Have there been any issues with the wiper linkage hitting the magnets?
With all the brackets I have sent out over the past four years, I don't recall that anyone has mentioned interference with anything under the dash. I'm not saying there wasn't an issue, I'm just saying that none were reported to me. I have not installed all the different varieties of speakers in all of the various car models that folks have put them in, so I have to leave that up to those guys to chime in here.

Jerry, I noticed that when I hooked up the bracket to my car, it worked fine but was a tad wobbly sometimes. I attached your bracket to the original one that held the 4X10 speaker and re-attached and it is much more sturdier, plus it's black so you can't see the unfinished metal. But the powder coat would look sweet for that great detail if you're only using the bracket you make in the car.

Nick,
Thanks for the input about your installation. I'm not sure how to explain the wobbliness unless you may have not had the mounting screws tightened down as much as I have done in the past. It's been a while since we installed them in my son's two A-bodies, but if I recall correctly, the ends of the brackets made very solid metal-to-metal contact with the dash. As long as you don't over torque the speed nuts and strip them, you should be able to get them to hold the bracket tightly enough.

Since you have found a work-around, you may not want to pull it and try again, but that's my only suggestion for now. I'll look into it, though, just to be sure.

For what it's worth, the more people who are interested in these, the cheaper the finishing work will be. In no case will it be more than $20 (and probably a lot less than that).

Here's a Friday bump for some more poll responses.

Nick,
Thanks for the input about your installation. I'm not sure how to explain the wobbliness unless you may have not had the mounting screws tightened down as much as I have done in the past. It's been a while since we installed them in my son's two A-bodies, but if I recall correctly, the ends of the brackets made very solid metal-to-metal contact with the dash. As long as you don't over torque the speed nuts and strip them, you should be able to get them to hold the bracket tightly enough.

Since you have found a work-around, you may not want to pull it and try again, but that's my only suggestion for now. I'll look into it, though, just to be sure.

I think you're right Jerry. I probably didn't have them tightened enough. the extra reinforcement shouldn't hurt though. That backet is awesome and the sound is a huge gain! I love it. Now it's time for the kick panel speakers to get installed O:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back