New Poll -- Your Fav Radio Station

What kind of radio station do you listen to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
I need a little help from my friends here.

As most of you know, I'm a fledgling business formally open for a little over a year. I also live out in the sticks in a predominantly farming-oriented community. As a result, I've only had a few local customers. (Most of them don't even know what powder coating is.)

Realizing I have to spend money to make money, and also knowing already that I have no advertising budget to speak of (and obviously wanting to spend it in the most intelligent fashion), I've been thinking of doing some radio advertising to introduce myself to the local clientele.

One of the local communication companies has five stations, and there's no way I can afford to have a commercial on all of them. I'd like your opinions -- as motorheads and my main customer base -- on which radio station format(s) you regularly listen to.

Thanks in advance! Your answers will be a VERY BIG HELP in deciding which audience to target with my limited funds.

Whatever station plays old school rock and 80's metal only.
Good Luck with the commercial!

George

I listen to classic rock. 103.5 The Fox out here in Colorado. Alice Cooper has been helping me keep my sanity/insanity for the last 2 or 3 years while I've been building the RC.

I think my dog even digs Coop at Night.

My vote goes for Rock & Roll - it's what I grew up with (my wife would say country as that's what she grew up with).

Rock and roll if is like the old rock like 98.1 did do out of Memphis Tn.
all rock from the 70's to the early 90's.
100.05 the Eagle is a big station here in Jonesboro I listen to here.
I am listening to Night move's know.And know I am listening to Maggy.
If I get a chance to plug your great company I sure will.

What, No metal ? I voted rock cause in reality I'm getting old and cant take the yelling and screaming all the time, LOL

If your base market target is automotive, you should try to get time on a classic rock station. Something that plays the music that car guys with a bit more cash listen to. Empty nesters with cars seem to like 60's-70's era music.

Darlin, will the Texas stations I listen to do you any good?? (winkwink nudgenudge)

In Seattle we have 99.9 KISW They play rock from the 80's 90's and 2000 and have alot of motorheads call in. Other than that I listen to 89.9FM on Sunday nights for because they play some good industrial. But mostly I steal music from the interweb.

If your base market target is automotive, you should try to get time on a classic rock station. Something that plays the music that car guys with a bit more cash listen to. Empty nesters with cars seem to like 60's-70's era music.
i agree they will listen to the commercial whereas the metal station listeners couldnt care less..
imho

LeAnne, I must be too old for this group. I grew up with the 50's and 60's. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson and the like. That's good ole Rock and Roll. 68 Rat Rod.

I like the Oldies stations, but if no oldies then Country and prefer the older country

local Indy stations
101.9 (oldies)
97.1 (older country)
95.5 ( #1 country station in Indy for years)

good luck

Hardly ever listen to terrestrial radio since I got a satellite reciever.
Never thought I would listen as much as I do now...

A sincere Good luck with your advertising though !

Sirius for me. I listen primarily to Octane (Tool...Rage...AIC...Metallica) but have been known to listen to First Wave (80's new wave) and on occassion PureJazz or Buzzsaw (ZZ Top...Van Halen....AC/DC)

Speaking of which, I went to 2 great shows this week. Monday night I saw Rush at Jones Beach Theater out here on Long Island. If you've never seen these guys live, you don't know what your missing. Aside from being masters at their instruments, they play highly technical music with no room for errors. Purely amazing musicians.

SANY0008-vi.jpg

SANY0017-vi.jpg

SANY0023-vi.jpg

I also have video of YYZ in it's entirety, but it's a 92million byte file and I can't up-load it.
SANY0007-vi.jpg

And of course, some people are a wee-bit too fanatical about their music....

Last night I went to see Billy Joel play at Shea Stadium. This is the last year the Mets have Shea as Citi Field will open next March and Shea will be imploded (and probably sold on e-Bay....) It was advertised as the "Last Play" But naturally, a second show was added tomorrow night. Last nights show had some great surprises. Billy was doing his stuff, plus cheesy baseball songs, a whole bunch of Beatle songs (they were the first band to play at Shea in the 60's...) and he had a few guests come out. Tony Bennet sang with Billy on New York state of Mind... then John Mayer came out for one tune... then later Don Henley came out and did Boys of Summer ( with 90,000 people on back-up vocals...) and John Cougar came out later to sing Pink Houses with Billy. I have some really crappy camera phone pictures that suck.... *sorry*!

It was an awesome week of music.... 8)

I think your biggest customer base to reach or try to reach would be the Baby Boomers,they are the ones that are collecting the cars now for the most part and restoring them. I being a baby Boomer prefer the old 60's and 70's rock and roll or OLDIE STATIONS,as I think a lot of Boomers do also. That is what we grew up on. And they say we are the ones with the $$$. Well I haven't found all of mine or I just don't have them $$$ like all the Boomers do.LOL But I think that would be the group that would most benefit your type business. Not to say some Older and Younger customers also but I would bet mostly are BOOMERS! That is the way I would be leaning toward.

Although I grew up in the 70's and 80's, when I'm driving my cuda I always listen to the oldies from the 50's and 60's. There ain't nothin better than good ole Rockin' Roll! :rock:

I listen to whatever radio station isn`t sucking at that time. With that said I would target the baby boomers with time slots in the drive times from 7-9 a.m. and 4-6 p.m.. Stations that spin modern/classic rock and pop country should do well in your neck of the woods. If things don`t pop right away, persevere, don`t get discouraged, it`s bad all over now! Good luck!

I agree with 68 Rat Rod and 1969340Dart. Oldies it is. Then a nice easy listening country music station. Jeff

This is GREAT! And it's just what I was hoping for!!!!!!! Even suggested time slots ... perfect, perfect, perfect!

I laughed out loud at a bunch of your responses ('whatever station isn't sucking at the time') and got some photos of my favorite band of all time -- thanks John! [Can you email the YYZ megafile?? I need a recharge after an azz-bustin' week in 95+ temps LOL], found out Adam isn't old enough to know what albums are [j/k Adam], and discovered FABO polls don't have enough possible choices [had to leave out Oldies and Metal].

It also dawned on me that I didn't vote on my own poll ....... DOH! Even redheads are entitled to an occasional blonde moment I guess. Chalk me up for Rock and Oldies. [Beware, those of you who might show up at my shop ... boppin' around with powder gun in hand belting out "Respect," or "Spirit of Radio," or "Rock Around the Clock." You'll see why I powdercoat ... what'd you do with that money your dad gave ya for singin' lessons??? Oh, I spent that at the pool hall!!!! 8)]

Keep those votes and comments coming please! There's no such thing as too much or bad information.

My vote will have to go for classic rock, 70's and 80's style. It's what I grew up with many, MANY moons ago.
Have you thought about contacting your state tax bureau? They may be able to give you locations of speed shops, businesses that customize, or restore vehicles throughout the state. You could then contact them, and show them your handiwork. Just a thought. Hope it helps, Tim.

My vote will have to go for classic rock, 70's and 80's style. It's what I grew up with many, MANY moons ago.
Have you thought about contacting your state tax bureau? They may be able to give you locations of speed shops, businesses that customize, or restore vehicles throughout the state. You could then contact them, and show them your handiwork. Just a thought. Hope it helps, Tim.

Thanks Tim! I have a whole list of possible customers and find new ones every day. I've never been much of a salesperson (let the work speak for itself) but you've got some great ideas.

Cudachick you are definately on track in your search and your questions. So many people out there in business think they know so much and are not willing to ask questions and seek advice from others. A good run business should always be on a quest to seek ideas to expand and perform quality work. Also your comment about your work speaking for itself.
That could not be more true and to add to that Good Quality work at an Affordable price is what everyone is looking for. I think on your website a few more pictures of your work and some testimonials from current and previous customers would be helpful in spreading your message on the internet also. Setting up a small booth at local swap meets with sample work has done wonders for some powder coaters around my area.
I hope whatever it is you do, works for you because you seem like a really nice person that contributes a lot to the hobby. There are a lot of Ladies out there that are into the hobby and my hat is off to all of them. Especially the ones like yourself that contribute like you do in performing a lot of work for yourself and others. Your good attitude and willingness to help others and also get in there and seek ways to expand and promote your business will certainly make you successful in what you are doing.
Keep up the good work and MOPAR to you. My Sweetie and Daughter are also Ladies in Business,they have a small shop that My Soninlaw and myself built for them which was actually part of one of my garages! They make a product called Ornies which is actually an air freshner made of baked plastic beads formed to make certain designs and they have many fragrances and designs to choose from,and they also make special order candles in many fragrances.
This is certainly not a plug for there business because they have more orders than they can get out now and do not need any more orders for the products they sell.
I guess it is going to be time to build a larger shop and possibly hire someone to help them in the near future. There product spread like wildfire locally, word of mouth and the sheer smell of there product each time you get into your vehicle makes it sell all by itself.
People that have them in there cars,trucks are asked where they got that from because it smells great or wonderfull. And to top it off sunlight and heat activates its strength of smell even more.
Again this is "NOT" a plug to receive orders or questions about there products but just a few lines to explain that a good product and good attitude backed up by good people sells itself ! Cudachick you are good people with a great attitude so you will not have a problem expanding your business.

Bobby Dodson

-
Back