New Product Announcement!!! 65 Cuda/Valiant Taillight Housings!!!

-

Rick@Laysons

FABO Vendor
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
New Product Announcement!!! 65 Cuda/Valiant Taillight Housings!!!

Layson's Restorations is proud to announce the arrival of our new reproduction taillight housings for 1964/1965 Plymouth Barracudas and 1965 Plymouth Valiants. These bezels are IN-STOCK and READY-TO-SHIP!!!! The price for the pair of bezels only(RD-645PBST) is $550.00/pr, the price of the assemblies(RD-645PBSTA, bezels and both top lenses with both back-up lenses) as pictured is $749.00/pr.

Clickable thumbnail images....

If you'd like a set of these, please PM me on this board, email me direct at [email protected], or give me a call toll free at 877-930-4088 ext 102.

Thanks,
Rick

(Mods, please feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong section, Thanks!)

You Gotta Be Fuckin Kiddin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $550??????????????????
$749 With Lenses?????????????

i know they are new and possibly a pretty hard item to find but damn thats a lot of money for tail lights

The reality is (and no offense to our '64/'65 Barracuda brothers out there) that the cost of these is probably 1/4 of what the majority of these owners have into their cars (some, incl. the purchase price). These are not '70/'71 'cudas. Granted, overpriced but the market does allow for purchases like this. On an early Barracuda though - it seems a little absurd. Yes, I know that there are a handful of early Barracudas that are worth $15K-$20K but this is just pushing it.

Taken from the owner's mouth. "It's because of China"

I'll get mine restored for a 1/4th of the price.

You Gotta Be Fuckin Kiddin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $550??????????????????
$749 With Lenses?????????????

Let me see....
$400 for my re-chromed `68 tail light housings (not from Laysons... they wanted almost $500)
$295 for my tail lights from BEA.... Laysons wanted almost $50 more.

That comes to $695. If you want the new re-pro housings (from Laysons...) add on another C note. Welcome to the Muscle Car Restoration Biz.

Now please bend over....

BTW: Add in the trunk trim panels, emblems, and the back bumper and I have almost 2K in just TRIM on the back of my car....

Well Not That Rick @laysons Will Read This Posting,,
There Are Still A Lot Of Good Used And N.o.s 64/65 Tail Lite Housing Available,,1965 B-cudas The Most Produced Barracuda Out Of The 10 Year Name Plate,,,
1966 Valiant/b-cuda A One Year Only With Still Several Around Being Restored And Hot Rodded,,ive Been Waiting For Over 6 Years,,being Promised By Dave Layson His Self That They Are Comming,,and As Usuall With Every Thing From Laysons ,,they Always Blame It On The Chrome Plater,,so I Guess 66 Tail Lite Housing Have Been At The Platers For 6 Years,,

But Every One Remember,,and I Am Not Supporting Laysons,,,but The Demand For Early A-body Parts Is No Where Near What An E Or B Body Part Of A Chevy Part Would Be, So The Cost Would Be Higher,they Need To Cover Costs Of The Mold And Research,,,

But When You Have A Mopar You Get Price Gouged,,,up The Butt,,
Even If The Reproducer Is A So Called Mopar Guy,,,,,

So Where Are The 66 Housings ??????? And The 66 Rear Window Moldings??????????

Well Not That Rick @laysons Will Read This Posting,,
There Are Still A Lot Of Good Used And N.o.s 64/65 Tail Lite Housing Available,,1965 B-cudas The Most Produced Barracuda Out Of The 10 Year Name Plate,,,
1966 Valiant/b-cuda A One Year Only With Still Several Around Being Restored And Hot Rodded,,ive Been Waiting For Over 6 Years,,being Promised By Dave Layson His Self That They Are Comming,,and As Usuall With Every Thing From Laysons ,,they Always Blame It On The Chrome Plater,,so I Guess 66 Tail Lite Housing Have Been At The Platers For 6 Years,,

But Every One Remember,,and I Am Not Supporting Laysons,,,but The Demand For Early A-body Parts Is No Where Near What An E Or B Body Part Of A Chevy Part Would Be, So The Cost Would Be Higher,they Need To Cover Costs Of The Mold And Research,,,

But When You Have A Mopar You Get Price Gouged,,,up The Butt,,
Even If The Reproducer Is A So Called Mopar Guy,,,,,

So Where Are The 66 Housings ??????? And The 66 Rear Window Moldings??????????

Hell, i wish i knew where my 64 tail lights are, itll be two years this spring.

"...1965 B-cudas The Most Produced Barracuda Out Of The 10 Year Name Plate,,,"

11 years. :toothy7: Other than that, I pretty much agree with the rest.

I agree the price is significant(and high!!), but please consider this.....this particular part is a very complicated casting to produce. It has many complex curves and shapes, therefore more time and expense was involved in the tooling process. And because of the complex curves and shapes it has, it is way more time consuming to produce once the tooling and molding process is completed than say a 68-69 Dart tail light bezel or a 67/69 Cuda back-up bezel. Then there was the tooling to get the black housing-to-body gaskets made...... The simple fact is...it is VERY expensive to get a part like this produced.

If one was to consider the time it would take to locate a pair of housings WITHOUT pits that was suitable for re-chroming, then the actual cost of said re-chromable housings, then the cost of re-chroming, then the cost of locating lenses good enough to put into freshly chromed housings, then the cost of the housing-to-body gaskets and lens gaskets(insignificant cost-wise, but still must be considered none-the-less), then the time factor of getting all this done and ready to install.........well, I think you get the picture.

If you're lucky enough to have a good re-chromable pair laying around, then you are way ahead of the deal. But what about the people who have none to start with and can only find 40+ year old pitted up pieces of junk that would cost a small fortune to be re-worked into a re-chromable condition?

People often complain about the fact nobody reproduces parts for their early A-bodies, but then when somebody does, they complain about the price without stopping to consider what all it takes to get it done. That must be the reason why everybody and their dog reproduces early A-body parts.......

It was mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that NOS housings were readily available....but I've never seen any for sale anywhere, not in the classifieds here, in MCG magazine, or over on moparts,...or even on Ebay. So where are they all???

Old housings don't need to be pit free to be re-chromed. The pits are filled in and then re-chromed. I know of a company that can do this but being this is your thread to sell something I won't list it.

Chuck

Guys, I know a lot of you have been burned by Lasons in the past but please dont judge Rick for Daves wrong doings. Rick has gone out of his way to help a number of our members. Do a search of his posts. You will see if you deal with him your in good hands.

Old housings don't need to be pit free to be re-chromed. The pits are filled in and then re-chromed. I know of a company that can do this but being this is your thread to sell something I won't list it.

Chuck

Actually this thread was intended to inform people of a new product release as opposed to a "For Sale" ad. There will be a short article coming up in Mopar Collector's Guide in an upcoming issue. Rob Wolfe took pics of these at the Fall Fling just a few weeks ago. But I thought I would add the pricing info so you all would know before everybody else does.

I do realize that pits can be filled in before re-chroming, my point was that whomever does the work to get them into a condition to be re-chromed probably doesn't perform this service for free and that the cost of having the pits filled factors into the final cost of having an original set restored.

Rick, absolutely there is a fee to fill in the pits and the more pitted it is the more it will cost because they work on a per hour basis. Because of this they may or could end up costing more than your replacements. I wasn't saying it would be cheaper than yours I was saying that your comment wasn't entirely accurate.

There has been a history of less than honest service from Layson's which of course you know and if you make a comment like "it has to be pit free or it can't be re-chromed" or something of that nature it sounds like you are not being truthful and will only help solidify peoples opinion about Laysons. I would hate to see that because it looks like you are making a genuine effort to turn that around.

If I had the money I would probably buy yours instead of having mine redone because that way I still have my set. If I send mine out and they don't come back for whatever reason then I am really sunk. Mine are in really good shape although they could use new lenses.

Chuck

got no problems with Rick here, but man Dave sure is proud of these to charge that much. Up the azs as usual with Dave Layson.

Hmmm.. $750 a pair complete with lenses. Thats $375ea. Here's a NOS RH on the bag bid to $100 and reserve not met.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...016QQitemZ260188621858QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The description says the lens is cracked, and to be show worthy, it should be rechromed. So all I need to do is find someone to sell me a mint lens, strip and rechrome it for $275. Oh yeah, hasn't hit reserve yet so I'll have to grind down the plater depending on what I actually have to pay and ship it, first home, then to the platers... Hmm. Forgot.. still need the left one too.

If you're just looking for a driver quality, then buy and pay for a driver quality. If you want a show quality, then you will pay for it. If you think there is so much money in the A-body trim business, then tool up and sell them cheaper. Simple enough.

I bought a mint set of hood scoops for my 69 Cuda with gaskets for $280 - in 1993. I thought hey! why not take them in and get a mold made to cast some for others... until I found out the cost to tool, and price per cast. Nevermind the potential customers who would flame me if I even attempted to make a profit.

Opportunity is knocking to anyone wanting to do it.. just dont get on and ***** about the price.

Grant

Guys, I know a lot of you have been burned by Lasons in the past but please dont judge Rick for Daves wrong doings. Rick has gone out of his way to help a number of our members. Do a search of his posts. You will see if you deal with him your in good hands.

Amen brother!

-
Back