New Project

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
Ok since my 318 motor build melted in a fire at my buddies shop I have been cruising the craigslist ads for a new builder and scored a machine shop find for a couple hundred. Ideas from the forum are being solicited. This motor is for the strip. Stock 1973 date coded motor only honed at this point. crank turned .010. No pistons. J heads with stock valves. Heads all clean and reassembled. Stock 4 barrel intake......what to do?

Have the J heads been milled at all? Might want to look at a nice KB piston to bring up compression.

J heads are untouched. They were cleaned and reassembled. The PO did not pay for anything. I am starting with a fresh untouched 73 360.

If you buy 10.5 pistons for a 318. and then use J heads, you will end up at 9.2 compression. Don't just buy the standard KB 9.5 pistons to use with the J heads as it will drop near 8.2.

The KB-107's and then mill the deck if need be for a 9.8-1 ratio with the 72cc J heads.

If you want to use the OE intake, there pretty good as is. Though milling the center divider away and massaging the plenum area well will raise the rpm level up pretty good for a very effective stealth intake.
The J heads can be ported out really nice.

What is the target and useage of the intended build?

Goal is to stick in a Duster for a drag car. My 74 is done. 72 is almost there so I can shift to this.

OK, a drag Duster, very good. Your going to use the 360 for this, roger that.

The zero deck option is still flexable enough to run pump gas with a decent sized cam and use iron heads. If you use a small 65-63 chambered head like the Edelbrock head, the ratio jumps up a point to about 11-1. Pretty good quench & squeeze with a .039 gasket. That will still run pump gas.

This is how I run my 360 street car. At zero deck, .039 head gasket and Edelbrock heads. The cams I have run in the past are size-able cams as not to detonate. Nothing to radical. But at 10-1 iron, 11-1 aluminum, you can run a lot of cam if you wanted to. Just check clearances at the valve.

Can I assume money for new parts is an issue hence running the OE intake?
The classifieds here, a good place to buy, sell & trade can produce some decent parts for your effort.

Rob. Money is not an issue. I am just deliberate and in no damn hurry anymore. I am driving my 74 and inching along on my 72. No hurry on this project but would like to be on the strip before I am a hundred. I lucked into this complete 360 that was sitting at the machine shop 2 miles from the house. Already machined to .030 and crank turned .010. The machinist is a Chevy man so he does not care about Mopars but works on them. I picked up 1 complete carb to pan and all 350, a 4 bolt 350 short block, and running 350 with a parts car tonight. (My wife's camaro is soon to be finished) lol. All I was after was side glass, posi rear, and the brand new exhaust. Guy was evicted and had to be out. I figure I have about a grand in trade for labor if he wants it. I am learning as I go. I do really well when I get a list of part numbers and specifics.

OK, a drag Duster, very good. Your going to use the 360 for this, roger that.

The zero deck option is still flexable enough to run pump gas with a decent sized cam and use iron heads. If you use a small 65-63 chambered head like the Edelbrock head, the ratio jumps up a point to about 11-1. Pretty good quench & squeeze with a .039 gasket. That will still run pump gas.

This is how I run my 360 street car. At zero deck, .039 head gasket and Edelbrock heads. The cams I have run in the past are size-able cams as not to detonate. Nothing to radical. But at 10-1 iron, 11-1 aluminum, you can run a lot of cam if you wanted to. Just check clearances at the valve.

Can I assume money for new parts is an issue hence running the OE intake?
The classifieds here, a good place to buy, sell & trade can produce some decent parts for your effort.
This guy knows his sh*t,and then some(Rumble fish....). A Chev machinist, can get lacking in effort at times. Ask him to show the actual deck height assembled mock up.

Pistons on sale!

KB Performance Pistons#648-KB107.030
Chrysler 360ci Hypereutectic Pistons
Flat Top
4.030'' Bore (+.030'')
Use w/6.123'' Connecting Rod & 3.580'' Crank Stroke
Comp. Ratio: 10.9/62cc; 10.7/64cc; 10.2/68cc; 9.8/72cc
8/pkg

Eagle#356-SIR6123CB
273-360ci 6.123'' Connecting Rods
Bushed Piston Pin
3/8'' Capscrew Rod bolt
605-grams
Set of 8

I assume these are the ones you were referring to Rumble Fish

Ok. Went back to the shop to check progressing the motor and discuss internals. The guy who owned the motor and went off the grid had returned. He was diagnosed with cancer and his mom footed the bill to finish the job so he could get it done. I took the block..all the other stuff would have ended up here for sale anyway.

Ok. So picked up the project Demon and decided that I am further along on this motor than the 72 340. So the 408 will be the power plant. Starting point. Probe pistons @ 40 over....

What is the opinion on these Eddy RPM top end kits? Intake, heads, cam, lifters and carb....

340-360 V8 1964-91 #7176, #7576 650-800 cfm #60779 #7177 #7803 - #5777 #5767 (F)

What is the opinion on these Eddy RPM top end kits? Intake, heads, cam, lifters and carb....

340-360 V8 1964-91 #7176, #7576 650-800 cfm #60779 #7177 #7803 - #5777 #5767 (F)

Heads need to be quality checked, those are 30 plus year old cam grinds. Do yourself a favor, look to Comp/Crane/ Howard's/ Crower for newer grinds. Buy the Eddy heads separate, have a clearance check at minimum .

Heads need to be quality checked, those are 30 plus year old cam grinds. Do yourself a favor, look to Comp/Crane/ Howard's/ Crower for newer grinds. Buy the Eddy heads separate, have a clearance check at minimum .

I ran an old Crane cam back in the day, and was very happy with it. I would run another Crane.

-
Back