New Project

-
Did a little messing around on the truck today. I looked at the frame around the steering box like @George Jets And @JDMopar and I talked about it appears someone has already add the plate. Or is this factory? The coil spring on the drivers side looks a little wonky to me it appears like it has been replaced at some point it looks newer than the rest of the suspension but it does not look straight to me it looks curved. I'm wondering if it isn't seated correctly. I do not notice it on the passenger side.

View attachment 1716257909

View attachment 1716257910

View attachment 1716257911

View attachment 1716257913

View attachment 1716257914

I have to laugh, it's because they lifted the truck. They put bigger than stock springs in it.

Get 'er back to stock riding height with stock springs...you pull it parts.

☆☆☆☆☆

I think the steering box/frame brace may be factory, or an add on because of a recall or something. It looks just like the one on my truck. I had my wife wiggle the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running so I could look to see where the play was in my steering. My steering box was very noticeably moving as she turned the wheel back and forth. I could see the frame cracked behind the box it was moving so far. I'm gonna fix it when I swap motors. I'm going to pull the whole front clip off so I can get to everything.

I have to laugh, it's because they lifted the truck. They put bigger than stock springs in it.

Get 'er back to stock riding height with stock springs...you pull it parts.

☆☆☆☆☆
That makes alot od sense! I guess that's why I sets like a 4wd. And I noticed there was evidence of tires rubbing and both front fenders are "clearanced" I thought was a huge coincidence that both front fenders was folded in at the exact same place! Someone has hammered them in for tire clearance! Probably so they could put spacers on it! :rolleyes: dumb asses!

20240603_192955.jpg

20240603_193040.jpg

20240603_193044.jpg

20240603_193027.jpg

20240603_193005.jpg

I think the steering box/frame brace may be factory, or an add on because of a recall or something. It looks just like the one on my truck. I had my wife wiggle the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running so I could look to see where the play was in my steering. My steering box was very noticeably moving as she turned the wheel back and forth. I could see the frame cracked behind the box it was moving so far. I'm gonna fix it when I swap motors. I'm going to pull the whole front clip off so I can get to everything.
Thanks I'll try that out!

Did some more work on the truck today. And the butchery continues... so the dash was destroyed putting in the radio. The fenders were destroyed putting oversized tires. So I'm not surprised but the inside of the doors are destroyed as well. Someone cut out of the support in the door and cut a bunch of holes assuming to be able to access and mount the god awful speakers. I got the trim piece below the steering column replaced it's a little less faded than the rest of the dash but at least there isn't a hole there anymore.

1000010681.jpg

1000010744.jpg

1000010742.jpg

1000010743.jpg

1000010740.jpg

Dang! The previous owner needs to pay for gettin you a Tetanus shot if you have to work on that door much. :eek:
Yep it's crazy how much damage has been done to this otherwise solid truck just to Install a sound system. The dash and doors are destroyed. I guess it's true what they say some people shouldn't be allowed to work on stuff haha

Update. I removed the other door panel and more of the same. It's butchered too. I did a compression test and it was a surprisingly good outcome. I'm getting around 165 psi on all cylinders except #2 I'm getting around 140. All and all not bad. So I think the valve seals are the culprit of the oil usage

Got some work done today this thing just keeps getting better and better. OMG. IVe done some shady **** when it come to fixing stuff but this takes the cake. So I went to remove the wheel spacers because I do not like them and they are unsafe! Well I pulled the wheel off and this thing has a rear brake delete! It had no rear brakes lol. Crazy! I got both rear spacers off I ran out of daylight so I didn't get the front two I'll work on them Monday. If you follow my YouTube channel you do not want to miss tomorrow's video! It will be on at 9am!

20240608_191512.jpg

20240608_191522.jpg

20240608_191532.jpg

20240608_191535.jpg

20240608_191524.jpg

20240608_191527.jpg

20240608_193835.jpg

20240608_193839.jpg

20240608_193845.jpg

20240608_193849.jpg

Got some work done today this thing just keeps getting better and better. OMG. IVe done some shady **** when it come to fixing stuff but this takes the cake. So I went to remove the wheel spacers because I do not like them and they are unsafe! Well I pulled the wheel off and this thing has a rear brake delete! It had no rear brakes lol. Crazy! I got both rear spacers off I ran out of daylight so I didn't get the front two I'll work on them Monday. If you follow my YouTube channel you do not want to miss tomorrow's video! It will be on at 9am!

View attachment 1716260321

View attachment 1716260322

View attachment 1716260323

View attachment 1716260324

View attachment 1716260325

View attachment 1716260326

View attachment 1716260327

View attachment 1716260328

View attachment 1716260329

View attachment 1716260330

Looks better with the wheel spacer out of there. Yeah Crazy, no rear brakes.... Lucky your aluminum wheels still fit the 5.5 truck bolt pattern.

Saw your YouTube about putting the Bluetooth in the radio. Great idea > good thinking and execution.

Too bad the actual radio came up lame. You Pull Our Parts probably has one for cheep.

☆☆☆☆☆

There is a good chance the rear wheel only ABS system (junction block) went lame. Instead of trying to fix it, they probably just removed the rear brake shoes and went without.

That rear ABS junction block is probably still stuck.

20240406_134704.jpg

This is a good fix to bypass the Rear ABS, then you can put the brake shoes back in and drums back on.

20240407_094752.jpg

20240407_184723.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Good thing you are taking those spacers off. I see they were already loosening up and egging out the bolt holes.

Nasty Dangerous....

☆☆☆

Update. I removed the other door panel and more of the same. It's butchered too. I did a compression test and it was a surprisingly good outcome. I'm getting around 165 psi on all cylinders except #2 I'm getting around 140. All and all not bad. So I think the valve seals are the culprit of the oil usage
A pint of Seafoam in the oil will help loosen up the carbon stuck piston rings, and help them to seal to the cylinder walls again.

Have saved a lot of oil smoking engines by letting that seafoam soak in there for a couple weeks after warming up the engine.

Then change out oil and fresh filter. The old oil is going to be really black after dissolving that carbon.

As your first oil change was really black in the first place, so it could use a good seafoam clean up.

☆☆☆

Wow. That's some crazy **** with the brakes. And I thought I'd seen some sketchy stuff from the PO's on my projects. However, I can't hold a candle to this junk.

Oh, and by the way, my 82 says hello you your 88!

DSCN1110.JPG

Good thing you are taking those spacers off. I see they were already loosening up and egging out the bolt holes.

Nasty Dangerous....

☆☆☆
You aint kidding! Speaking of dangerous you gotta watch this if you haven't already!

A pint of Seafoam in the oil will help loosen up the carbon stuck piston rings, and help them to seal to the cylinder walls again.

Have saved a lot of oil smoking engines by letting that seafoam soak in there for a couple weeks after warming up the engine.

Then change out oil and fresh filter. The old oil is going to be really black after dissolving that carbon.

As your first oil change was really black in the first place, so it could use a good seafoam clean up.

☆☆☆
You read my mind haha. Yea I plan on trying some different stuff seafoam was on the list.

Wow. That's some crazy **** with the brakes. And I thought I'd seen some sketchy stuff from the PO's on my projects. However, I can't hold a candle to this junk.

Oh, and by the way, my 82 says hello you your 88!

View attachment 1716260349
That's a sharp truck! I wish mine had the 4.5 bolt pattern that's exactly the look I want! I know right! I've seen some and done some questionable stuff but this truck takes the cake. This is exactly why states have state inspection laws and exactly why i agree with them! This truck came from Tennessee they don't have state inspections. I can't believe ppl drive **** like this !

Looks better with the wheel spacer out of there. Yeah Crazy, no rear brakes.... Lucky your aluminum wheels still fit the 5.5 truck bolt pattern.

Saw your YouTube about putting the Bluetooth in the radio. Great idea > good thinking and execution.

Too bad the actual radio came up lame. You Pull Our Parts probably has one for cheep.

☆☆☆☆☆
Thanks bud! Yea im gonna try it again! I've been looking around on ebay and other places to find another radio! I need to find a pick and pull im gonna need alot of parts

There is a good chance the rear wheel only ABS system (junction block) went lame. Instead of trying to fix it, they probably just removed the rear brake shoes and went without.

That rear ABS junction block is probably still stuck.

View attachment 1716260342

This is a good fix to bypass the Rear ABS, then you can put the brake shoes back in and drums back on.

View attachment 1716260343

View attachment 1716260344

☆☆☆☆☆
Awesome thank you! It's funny because in your thread I was asking about the abs I wanted to keep mine. Looks like someone took care if that for me. I'm wondering if when the rear end was replaced they just never bothered to replumb it?
Where did you find that bypass fitting? Do you happen to have a part number?

Awesome thank you! It's funny because in your thread I was asking about the abs I wanted to keep mine. Looks like someone took care if that for me. I'm wondering if when the rear end was replaced they just never bothered to replumb it?
Where did you find that bypass fitting? Do you happen to have a part number?

Bypass fittings I bought at Ace Hardware.

Think it was 1/8" pipe and brass coupler.

will have to look up what the brass 90° angles are.

☆☆☆☆☆

Here's the specs on the brass ABS bypass fittings:

90° 3/16" flare with 1/8" pipe.
90° 5/16" flare with 1/8" pipe.
1/8" pipe brass coupler.

Fits the factory dodge male brake line fittings at the rear ABS block.

Teflon tape used on the threads.

20240407_094752.jpg

Local hardware store should have all the brass parts.

Get some penetrating oil going on the factory brake line fittings so you can get them apart when you decide to do it.

☆☆☆☆☆

Bypass fittings I bought at Ace Hardware.

Think it was 1/8" pipe and brass coupler.

will have to look up what the brass 90° angles are.

☆☆☆☆☆
So I just went out and looked at the truck. It dont have the abs module. It has one line going to the junction hose on the rear axle

-
Back