new purchase LD 340

-

pagilman

Reaction score
I found an ad in a northeast trader for an Ld340 and edelbrock carb for 150.00 and took a beautiful ride for 3 1/2 hour round trip to west virginia on saturday. I have been looking on ebay for quite some time to find one as I am an old school guy. I have read that they are next to the air gap as far as flow. I can't wait to disassemble and have it bead blasted and put it on my 340. Do you think I paid to much? I know the carb is weak!! Is this intake as good as I've heard? Walt:wave:

that sounds like a decent price.. add all the gas you used to go 3 hours and it may be high but if you had a good time who cares.

Run the ld340 on my 340, in its day was considered as good as it got. Personaly think the airgap more hype than substance but just my $.02 worth.

A little off subject but I am jealous of the trip to West Virginia you had to make to get it.... I went there last summer and have to admit that it is some beautiful country .... I cant imagine what its like in the fall.... BTW ... Sounds like a pretty good deal to me ... Kinda hard to come by... I have one on my Duster..

Yes, It was a beautiful ride, he lived right in the national forest. west Virginia is a beautiful state, and their football team is very exciting.

What size carb?

That intake rocks. I have one modded for the T-Q.

Rob, the guy told me it is a 700cfm, I haven't checked the numbers yet, I can't see **** anymore, even with glasses. I am going to buy a magnifing glass. Walt:(

I got one too!

The engine I just bought from my buddy also came with a LD340. My buddy said it ran pretty strong. Still finishing my "rattle can" engine overhaul so I can't give you seat-of-the-pants review. Mine came with a 750 double pumper. I'm hoping it runs strong.

Sounds like a good deal to me if the threads aren't stripped. I run an LD340 on mine and it runs good. Car sits 1/4" higher in the front compared to the original stock cast iron intake. I also hear they are comparable to the new RPM intake. I'd switch to an RPM if it would be noticable but I hear I wouldn't see a gain so I'll stick with the LD340.

Walt. Is that a typo or did he say 700 cfm?

Edelbrock makes a 600 and a 750.

You can wittle down the boosters for increased flow and mill the air horn for more. I wouldn't bother on the latter for the street.
If you feel adventurous, you can allways try the NASCAR modded secondary work Carter did years back. Excellent at W.O.T. only. He he he.

$150 is a good price. About 4 months ago, I saw a Brand new, in the box one go for more then your carb and manifold.
The LD340 is about the best for the street, and the Airgap is better suited for a little higher RPM-Racing or Brackets. If buying for every extra HP you can get, then the Airgap would be 1st choice for me. If you have one or the other, spend no more money to switch, because not a bunch of differance in the seat of the pants feel for the money you spend to change setups.

The LD340 is a great manifold. I still have one (along with an air gap, x-celerator, torker, etc.) and at one point had 3 sitting on the shelf. Ran it on a basically stock 340 in my Duster and got it to run 12.90's. Haven't had a chance to run the Air Gap yet because I'm in Vegas and the Duster is still in Hawaii :(

because I'm in Vegas and the Duster is still in Hawaii

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

The RPM and LD-340 are a neck and neck in a power producing department with the RPM taking the narrow win. The RPM Air-Gap works in warmer climates better since it is not air heated like the regular RPM.

I have the RPM Air-Gap. It takes a while to warm up the engine (Like a big block) when it gets a bit chilly out. The heated intake is worth it on a true dual purpose car or daily driver. The RPM can be used as such, but will act up, so to speak, when it gets cold out. An excellent intake it is.

Like above, I have a few on the shelf to play with.

-
Back