New QD Blue Close To Old B5 Blue?

-

threewood

Reaction score
I know there are a ton of variations, but this is a complete repaint so it only needs to be close. Went to the parts store to look up B5 in Sikkens Lesonol, Wanda, and U-Tech and nothing came up. So after searching a bit I found that new Dodge QD Surf Blue is called B5. Is the new color close to the original? It is going on a 1969 Plymouth if it matters. Thanks.

I know there are a ton of variations, but this is a complete repaint so it only needs to be close. Went to the parts store to look up B5 in Sikkens Lesonol, Wanda, and U-Tech and nothing came up. So after searching a bit I found that new Dodge QD Surf Blue is called B5. Is the new color close to the original? It is going on a 1969 Plymouth if it matters. Thanks.
1969 B5 and new B5 (2009)
1969 b5.jpg
New Car 2009 b5.jpg

The new B5 is going to be a bit different. The old B5 got it's brightness from silver metallic. The new B5 has silver metallic in it but also pearl which gives it a different hue.

Thanks! They look close and that 69 B body is exactly how I am going to paint mine, although with a black interior. Is the pearl a seperate step or is the new B5 still BC/CC?

Single stage OK?
Check Sherwin Williams if you really want B5.
They can mix that, I'm sure.
You know that getting exactly what MOPAR put on the car will be pure luck anyway, right?
It was single stage after all.

Single stage OK?
Check Sherwin Williams if you really want B5.
They can mix that, I'm sure.
You know that getting exactly what MOPAR put on the car will be pure luck anyway, right?
It was single stage after all.

I love the look of single stage over base clear. However I am hesitant to spray a metallic in single stage as there is no room for error and color sanding is out. I was contemplating a solid blue in a similar color to B5 but it just wouldn't look right.

I love the look of single stage over base clear. However I am hesitant to spray a metallic in single stage as there is no room for error and color sanding is out. I was contemplating a solid blue in a similar color to B5 but it just wouldn't look right.

I saw post number 3, but it didn't really soak in that B5 is a metallic paint.
I've never used it.
I thought was more like Y3 or something along those lines.

I have experience with Sherwin Williams single stage T8 Dark Tan Poly which has some metallic in it then. Must be like B5.
Little silver stuff.
No problem if you keep the gun agitated and don't try to suck the bottom dry.
A light spray finish coat helps too.
I always use Sherwin Williams for paint. They can mix single stage.
You are right, color sanding is "out" with that T8.
I've never considered clear coating under single stage.
Just spray and go over the primer.

Last edited:
-
Back