New rear springs for a 65 Dart, 2,800LB or 3,200LB?????

-

Reaction score
Going to order some new Mopar super stock rear springs for my 65. And I noticed that they have a set for 2,800LB and 3,200LB cars. Any suggestion on which to get? I have no idea which ones would work better. Any one changed theres out for one or the other?

Thanks for any input!!!

Our member goldfish65 changed his to a heavier rear springs and he wishes he went with the stock springs, maybe pm him and ask because he said it's sits up higher then he cares for, me, I will be going back with new stock leaf springs, my 66 Valiant is 2.700lb and I believe these early sedans and coups are 2,800LB spring cars , the wagons may use the 3.200 or it could be for a V8 car that needs the 32.000 spring.. A good tec will jump in here soon and help I am sure :glasses7:

I like the rear end sitting a little higher than the front.

I've used the -002 & -003 superstock springs for over 20 years and love them!!!

Espo offers 5 and 6 leaf and will dearch if you want them to ride lower.

I do not mind the car riding a little high. As I want it to look like it would have racing back in 65. I already have the torsion bars cranked almost all the way up. Just a little woried that it would be to stiff with the 3,200 springs.

Well I had some nice info for you till the database error kicked it out.
I will try again, 67 Dart in street trim I installed 002-003 3000# superstock springs and they raised the rear of the car 5 1/2 inches over the stock springs.Didn't notice any harsh ride after the change. After converting the car to race only,, it weighed 2625#. Thought about going to the 863-864 2800# springs but the car works, so no change was made. I run the 456-457 3400# springs in my 65 Belvedere weighing in at 3670# in full street trim. They raised the rear of the B body about 4 inches over the stock springs..

Going to order some new Mopar super stock rear springs for my 65. And I noticed that they have a set for 2,800LB and 3,200LB cars. Any suggestion on which to get? I have no idea which ones would work better. Any one changed theres out for one or the other?

Thanks for any input!!!

Match the cars weight to the spring rating. Go lighter than the cars weight if it is a race car only or more so over a street ride, the lighter spring will be what your looking for.

IF it is a street car/street strip car, then match the cars weight to the spring and step up in the weight rate.

Example A; A drag A body on a diet would use the 2,800 lbs or the 002/003 full drag car springs.

Example B; A street bound A body car without a weight reduction and full interior, A/C etc...... Would use a 3,400 lbs. spring.

While a street car doesn't exactly weigh that much dry, weights do vary a good bit in A bodies, add oil, coolant,gas, 2 or more people, stereo the carpet, sound deadener, and well, your at that weight and more.

Thanks every one. Not sure exactly what mine would tip the scales at. 65 Drat GT, manual steering, no ac, no radio, no heater box, Kirkley vintage drag aluminum seats, no spare, no jack, small block with a 904 and 8 3/4 and manual brakes. Still has carpet. And will be adding a small vintage looking role cage at some point.

I was leaning toward the 2,800 springs. Thinking I may be a little over that. I figure with the 3,000 it would sit up higher that a GM 4X4 (well that is not saying much LOL)

I do not mind it getting razed up, as I am trying to make it look like a 1965-66 MP class drag car.

Thanks for all the input!!!!

I put 2 002 springs on my 64 vert. It was still too high so I put a 1 inch lowering block in it.

May have been 2 003 which ever one is the passenger side.
If I was to do it again I would put 2 drivers side springs in it.

I sits nice now, when it starts to sag I will just remove the blocks.
I don't suggest planning on using the blocks as I am not sure what I did to the alignment of the rearend. The indexing holes in the blocks were too big for the springs.

I put 2 002 springs on my 64 vert. It was still too high so I put a 1 inch lowering block in it.

May have been 2 003 which ever one is the passenger side.
If I was to do it again I would put 2 drivers side springs in it.

I sits nice now, when it starts to sag I will just remove the blocks.
I don't suggest planning on using the blocks as I am not sure what I did to the alignment of the rearend. The indexing holes in the blocks were too big for the springs.

Ummm, IIRC, even part numbered springs are passenger side.

I bought the 002/003 spring set and didn't like the lean it gave my vert. So I bought another passenger side spring and put it on the drivers side. Then I didn't like the ride height, so I bought a 1 inch lowering block and now it is just right. But now I have an extra drivers side spring. Oh well

Do they make it lean that bad? I sure do not want that. That would look awful! I do not mind the higher ride hight, but I sure do not want to go down the road leaning sideways.

I have no complaints on my 2800 lbs springs ! 64 Dart GT 340 4 speed 8 3/4 with 391 gear , oh yeah the car weighed at 2970 no carpet and 1/4 tank of racing fuel LOL.

Your car sit even, or is it a little lopsided, with the deferent springs, left to right?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no complaints on my 2800 lbs springs ! 64 Dart GT 340 4 speed 8 3/4 with 391 gear , oh yeah the car weighed at 2970 no carpet and 1/4 tank of racing fuel LOL.

There should be only a slight lean at best. If it leaned a lot, there was a problem. The springs are slightly offset in height for the reason of launching the car under high power. The raised rear is also for this reason.

For the most part, S/S springs are not for road use, but commonly are. All recommendations on the springs are commonly ignored.

604, if you want the rear of your car raised a little bit, then, try what I did. I went to espo.com and purchased there 1 inch over bend (Bent) springs for my Duster. They did raise the rear up a good bit, but not like a set of new S/S springs. They were 6 leafs each side IIRC.

While my 318 power plant wasn't anything more than bolt on parts and a cam for power, the car had enuff in it to run high 14's and launch straight, do smokey burnout's without twisting down the road. I recommend these springs over S/S springs any day for a hot rod car not being used as a race car, double duty street/race car, but just a nice driver to a street strip type build.

What's the general opinion on adding a leaf to the 6cyl springs (5) and getting them re-arched at a spring shop?

Thanks!
I just checked there sight and they did not seem to list any early A body rear springs. I may have to give them a call.

There should be only a slight lean at best. If it leaned a lot, there was a problem. The springs are slightly offset in height for the reason of launching the car under high power. The raised rear is also for this reason.

For the most part, S/S springs are not for road use, but commonly are. All recommendations on the springs are commonly ignored.

604, if you want the rear of your car raised a little bit, then, try what I did. I went to espo.com and purchased there 1 inch over bend (Bent) springs for my Duster. They did raise the rear up a good bit, but not like a set of new S/S springs. They were 6 leafs each side IIRC.

While my 318 power plant wasn't anything more than bolt on parts and a cam for power, the car had enuff in it to run high 14's and launch straight, do smokey burnout's without twisting down the road. I recommend these springs over S/S springs any day for a hot rod car not being used as a race car, double duty street/race car, but just a nice driver to a street strip type build.

What's the general opinion on adding a leaf to the 6cyl springs (5) and getting them re-arched at a spring shop?

I do not know of anybody that did exactly that, but it can be worth a shot. Now, just weigh price of doing such vs. a purchase of a new set.

Thanks!
I just checked there sight and they did not seem to list any early A body rear springs. I may have to give them a call.

Yes, call them. As you may have noted the thread is about 6 years old now........

Well they emailed me back. And there price is not to bad, so long as shipping will not brake the bank. Not sure if my car would need the 5 or 6 leaf springs.

You can always order a 6 leaf from ESPO and get a custom drop I'm believe. With my other cars I've had I ordered a higher spring rate and just had them made 1 or 2 inch drop. With the above spring height information above, you can figure if you need a 1-3 inch drop. Don't forget with the torsion bars, just adjust them down to give them the rack you want.

2800# springs, 3000#BB, .75" difference in height, works great.

Attachments

• DSC01510.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 367
-
Back