NEW: S/S Hemi Prototype Barracuda (Mule) Info found ! Magazine Test car connection!

-
If you seen the car and see the car again , just check the body #s on the rad support and trunk lip to the fender tag. That would save guessing on all the options

If you seen the car and see the car again , just check the body #s on the rad support and trunk lip to the fender tag. That would save guessing on all the options
That will tell you that the Mule/Prototype body matches the fender tag. I assume it does. All the options that are shown on the Mule/Prototype show on the car today. No guessing there.

The guessing is trying to connect the Mule/Prototype to the Dec 1967 Sports Car Graphic Magazine test car. We don't know the Magazine Test car's fender tag. We do have a list printed in the article with alleged options on the "As-Tested" Magazine test car. At least two of those options listed in the "As-Tested" list were not installed on the Magazine test car looking at the pictures; the Wood Steering wheel and custom sill molding (rocker panel gills).

Last edited:
I don´t dare to express my opinion in this Forum no more, but anyway, thought I post this from an
article by well-reputed Geoff Stunkard.
Might be of interest to some.
I don´t know...

20240904 Mule article 1.jpg
20240904 Mule article 2.jpg

I don´t dare to express my opinion in this Forum no more, but anyway, thought I post this from an
I don´t know...

View attachment 1716298761View attachment 1716298762
Interesting, but '67 had the reverse lights below the bumper and didn't have the dual exhaust cutouts in the rear splash pan like '68 & '69. Who knows if they would go through the motions of changing all of that trivial stuff.

If I may, I'd like to touch upon the color photo of the red 340 engine compartment. Is the negative battery cable painted engine color? Is that correct? I was given to understand that small block negative bat cables were left natural black and big block negative bat cables were painted engine color. Just trying learn something here. Thank you.

Mike

It was
If I may, I'd like to touch upon the color photo of the red 340 engine compartment. Is the negative battery cable painted engine color? Is that correct? I was given to understand that small block negative bat cables were left natural black and big block negative bat cables were painted engine color. Just trying learn something here. Thank you.

Mike
It was my understanding that the engine was painted with the negative cable already secured to the head.

I don´t know...

View attachment 1716298761View attachment 1716298762

Thank you for posting that. That was written by Geoff then put into print by Mopar Muscle magazine I believe. This is precisely why I'm trying to clear this situation up.

Unfortunately, that is 100% incorrect information printed in Mopar Muscle magazine that the car was a 1967 383. Either by Geoff or by someone that edited the article.

I have Bob Tarozzi's signed letter to the previous Mule/Prototype owner stating that is was a 1968 cars from the Test dept. And I have multiple original notes from late 1967 and 1968 that say it was a 1968 340 4spd. I have talked to Bob directly about this and he said it was a 1968. These are 1968 facts. Not a writer's interpretation or remembrance or editor's error.

Also the fender tag on the Mule/Prototype is for a 1968 340 4spd Barracuda.

Also photos from the Irwindale test session clearly show a 1968 chassis.

Look at this original historical doc's dated 10/9/1967 and 12/8/1967.

1725468267135.png

1725468330915.png

1725468566696.png

Last edited:

Mike

Good eye. I caught that too. I have a 1968 Hemi Road Runner negative cable with paint all the way under the battery post end. I've seen noted Mopar restorer Troy Angelly paint them all the way. He's a Mopar Nats judge too I believe.

And like A56 says, they where attached to motors when whole assembly was painted. Some have more paint than others.

Some motors don't seem to have them painted (some later 1970 340's, 340-6, etc)

Last edited:
Wow.

The article on this car in Mopar Collector's Guide has some major historical errors! Wonder where they got that Mis-information!

Car started out as a 1968 340 4-speed Barracuda Formula S. THE fender tag on the mule car even says so. And the original paperwork notes from Bob Tarrozzi also say so.

And it DID NOT have 4 Porsche seats in it! I have the invoice for the seats right here.... Qty 2 from Tummods Co, Lyndhurst Ohio.

Wow.

The article on this car in Mopar Collector's Guide has some major historical errors! Wonder where they got that Mis-information!

Car started out as a 1968 340 4-speed Barracuda Formula S. THE fender tag on the mule car even says so. And the original paperwork notes from Bob Tarrozzi also say so.

And it DID NOT have 4 Porsche seats in it! I have the invoice for the seats right here.... Qty 2 from Tummods Co, Lyndhurst Ohio.
MCG has been known to embellish facts just a teeny, tiny bit.

MCG has been known to embellish facts just a teeny, tiny bit.

True.

But a lot of times is the owners or handlers that give them incorrect info too.

The guy selling this car was reached out to share some of the info from the original documents I have. And he never returned the Facebook PM. !!!

Wow.

Interesting info, thanks.
This Company in Lyndhurst Ohio, did they fabricate the bucket seats?
Also, can you elaborate some around the facts, the aluminum seat bracket wasn´t drilled according to the blue prints, as seen in the Schild SS Guide. Specifically where the holes were drilled. And I think they where not meant to be bolted wide side down?
None of the two sides, of the alu brackets, match the seat bolt pattern of the floor pan.
The Mule looks to have wide side of the seat brackets facing upwards, wheras the SS-cars have wide side facing down...

Personally I’m really sorry that this article came out. I’m not mad at MPG, they’re just printing what they were told. It’s sad that this car was stored away for so many years and the history was forgotten and stripped away. Many of the people involved with the car from back in the day unfortunately are no longer with us so that info is gone forever. I guess the part that I’m mad at the most is when you do try and reach out to the handlers of this precious artifact you get ignored.
I’m going to put this out there for whoever is reading this…..to the person that buys this car, please reach out to Steve or myself…..we have some real cool info for you.

For you 67-up A-body people:
Is this a 1967 or 1968 Gas tank pictured ?

IMG_0233.jpeg

this picture taken of the Mule car Irwindale test in 1968. Published in Popular Hot Rodding May 1968

67 tank strap goes side to side, 69/69 have 2 straps as this picture

Yes. Thank you. That is what I have found too.

Another proof this is a 68 chassis.

The people that typically own these super stock cars tend to be into/own Max Wedge and 64/65 Hemi Super Stocks B-bodies. And also Hemi B and E bodies. So they really aren't that familiar with A-body construction, options, etc..

Last edited:
-
Back